Currently Spinning

Yesterday I went on a rather long trip in the car so I thought I'd listen to "Dusk' (The The) whilst I drive (after replying to @Eagleeyes who suggested I should get the LP in the 'What in Analogue Have you etc' thread ).

I must say I may have mellowed since I listened to it last. After two rotations I was thinking "I am really liking this." Currently spinning the CD now on the home system and about to search for an LP of it. It's really growing on me now that I have given it the chance it deserved!.....?

Image result for dusk the the album

PS: A purchase of this on vinyl may take awhile....I just checked ebay and Discogs. One copy available on ebay....almost $248 incl. postage. Discogs has 21 copies available ranging from $65 + postage to $325 incl. postage. Wowsers!?

It appears the only vinyl release was in the UK, everywhere else it was released only on CD (well, it was 1992), so LP's of this are going to be rare.?

Lucky the CD sounds excellent.....?
Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

Mind Bomb: The The

picked up the remastered 2002 version for $5 at recent sale

https://www.discogs.com/The-The-Mind-Bomb/release/528841

Standout tracks are Violence of Truth and Gravitate to Me

ahhhckkk, small particles of the all important reflective aluminium layer had flaked off in one or two places on a track or two!

Ran it through EAC, fortunately it saved those couple of tracks with only a few errors, Burnt copy plays well now!

EAC = Exact Audio Copy

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

regards Ian

• Like 2

Giving this another spin....The The 'Soul Mining' Oz 1st pressing. Gee it's bloody good!?

Image result for the the soul mining

Realising that this release has a different track listing to the UK release (two extra tracks on this), I thought it was probably locally mixed. Indeed it was. I have just read on Discogs that this Oz release was mastered by local Steve Smart at EMI Studios 301 in Sydney. He indeed did a fine job!?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

8771.jpg

This album has very high production values, but has a closed-in, studio booth kind of atmosphere. Her vocals in particular sound like she is not just in a sound-proof booth, but an air-tight anechoic phone box.

Once I get into it, it is good. 

IMHO the songs also improve as the album plays. The last three are very nice.

If you are chasing minutes per dollar, note that the album is 30-something minutes long.

Regards,

Grant

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevoz said:

Yesterday I went on a rather long trip in the car so I thought I'd listen to "Dusk' (The The) whilst I drive (after replying to @Eagleeyes who suggested I should get the LP in the 'What in Analogue Have you etc' thread ).

I must say I may have mellowed since I listened to it last. After two rotations I was thinking "I am really liking this." Currently spinning the CD now on the home system and about to search for an LP of it. It's really growing on me now that I have given it the chance it deserved!.....?

PS: A purchase of this on vinyl may take awhile....I just checked ebay and Discogs. One copy available on ebay....almost $248 incl. postage. Discogs has 21 copies available ranging from $65 + postage to $325 incl. postage. Wowsers!?

It appears the only vinyl release was in the UK, everywhere else it was released only on CD (well, it was 1992), so LP's of this are going to be rare.?

I have it and all the others but not one to spare sorry...they have a few others hanky panky and naked self but I wouldn't pay for those on vinyl unless rereleased and they have this box set of everything weird and wonderful about the band, https://www.thethe.com/radio-cineola-trilogy-new-boxset-announced/ they just played at Sydney Opera house I think as part of their 40 anniversary tour.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eagleeyes said:

I have it and all the others but not one to spare sorry...they have a few others hanky panky and naked self but I wouldn't pay for those on vinyl unless rereleased and they have this box set of everything weird and wonderful about the band, https://www.thethe.com/radio-cineola-trilogy-new-boxset-announced/ they just played at Sydney Opera house I think as part of their 40 anniversary tour.

Yes I saw that they toured but weren't doing studio album versions of their early songs so I bailed. I'm subscribed to the "The The" website and get all the info on latest releases.....great packages but Matt's latest stuff is not my 'cup of tea'. His early stuff however......genius.?

You are indeed fortunate to have 'Dusk" on vinyl.?

Edited by stevoz

On 19/06/2019 at 4:49 PM, stevoz said:

thanks Steve.           You inspired me to pull my copy out and give it a spin.    When this does get reissued, hopefully its better than the Soul Mining vinyl reissue which was crap - Aussie and UK original pressings much better.

WNYfg99.jpg

• Like 2

a2951148459_14.jpg

Sam Rosenthal with Nick Shadow and Steve Roach - The Gesture Of History -- a mix of viola (from Mr Shadow) and atmospherics (from Mr Roach). Sometimes the viola is is more prominent, sometimes the synth washes are more prominent. Kinda like a David Darling or Aaron Martin or Julia Kent album with a bit more drone. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To Top