Currently Spinning

34 minutes ago, Citroen said:

OK Steve @stevoz

For me, it's an iconic album. May not be to your taste but please have a listen and let us know your reaction.

https://lp.reverb.com/articles/joy-divisions-unknown-pleasures-at-40?utm_campaign=20190616+LP+Sunday&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=MarketingCloud

It sure is an iconic album - sometimes I think the album cover is more iconic than the album.  Saw it a few years ago as a T-shirt in teeny boppers clothes store Brandy Melville - oh well.      Musically, I think Closer is their magnum opus and the one I play more.

Red House Painters - nice sounding 4AD 2015 reissue - vocals are really nice, out in front and clear.

36At3PA.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I do know Joy Division but not well. This is an impressive debut album from what I've heard of it so far. Kind of Cure (whom I like) meets Psychedelic Furs (whom I love) meets any number of New Romantic bands (whom I own a few of).....not bad at all. Will I persist with it and then buy it? Yes and maybe.....??

Steve.  After the lead singer off'd himself, Joy Division became New Order which you probably own a few albums of.       Definitely buy this and their 2nd album Closer.

1 hour ago, Citroen said:

OK Steve @stevoz

For me, it's an iconic album. May not be to your taste but please have a listen and let us know your reaction.

https://lp.reverb.com/articles/joy-divisions-unknown-pleasures-at-40?utm_campaign=20190616+LP+Sunday&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=MarketingCloud

Why did i click that link....oh why did I click that link....

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness At The Edge Of Town

I haven't listened to this since the late 80s, most probably during heavy rotation around seeing his '86 Sydney concerts (what a year that was - Dylan, Neil Young, Springsteen, Dire Straits - The Boss cameoing with Neil Young to end one of his shows; Knopfler walking on with Dylan/Petty) .  Had no interest in said Boss since.

I only have it on vinyl (somewhere in the cupboard) but saw it for $9 at JB Hi Fi.  Possibly my fave of his albums.  Lets see what 30 years of being a stranger has done to it.

Image result for Bruce Springsteen - Darkness At The Edge Of Town

Well, that was an interesting experience of personal archaeology!  If it was wine it would have strong undertones of Scorcese and and fresh whiff that points to The Hold Steady.  

Edited by Dilettanteque
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

I haven't listened to this since the late 80s, most probably during heavy rotation around seeing his '86 Sydney concerts (what a year that was - Dylan, Neil Young, Springsteen, Dire Straits - The Boss cameoing with Neil Young to end one of his shows; Knopfler walking on with Dylan/Petty) .  Had no interest in said Boss since.

I only have it on vinyl (somewhere in the cuboard) but saw it for $9 at JB Hi Fi.  Possibly my fave of his albums.  Lets see what 30 years of being a stranger has done to it.

Like good valve amps or alcohol 

it just gets better

with age

unlike humans?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

I only have it on vinyl (somewhere in the cupboard) but saw it for $9 at JB Hi Fi.  Possibly my fave of his albums.  Lets see what 30 years of being a stranger has done to it.

Did I mention that I saw Bruce in twice in 1975

Once in Massachusetts a month away from Born To Run with a few hundred people in a field surrounded by pine trees about sunset 

and a few months after in London 

rock n roll heaven

Only Leonard Cohen a few years ago equaled that London concert

Sorry If boasted about that before

Edited by keyse1
  • Like 4

81b1UfnwZqL._SX522_.jpg

Elton John - Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy -- I've never heard this album before but got the West German DJM CD on the weekend and spinning it now ... what a great album! I think it came out in 1975 between two big singles (Philadelphia Freedom and Island Girl) so it kinda slipped out of public memory a bit quickly. A bit more sombre and acoustic and autobiographical than the albums surrounding it.  I'd love to get the cover art as a poster for my room.

--Geoff

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Did I mention that I saw Bruce in twice in 1975

Once in Massachusetts a month away from Born To Run with a few hundred people in a field surrounded by pine trees about sunset 

and a few months after in London 

rock n roll heaven

Only Leonard Cohen a few years ago equaled that London concert

Sorry If boasted about that before

Well, if you can't boast about that.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, metal beat said:

Steve.  After the lead singer off'd himself, Joy Division became New Order which you probably own a few albums of.       Definitely buy this and their 2nd album Closer.

I quite like New Order but have none of their albums either..... I must check them both out more then.?

• Like 2

Someone mentioned The The on StereoNET the other day, and after a listen to Mind Bomb, this one had to come out. I have always loved listening to it in the morning. This is the Day, and of course Uncertain Smile, are highlights.

215FD469-3F19-46A2-962A-DE64E0BDF995.jpeg

• Like 6

Hi All,

23 minutes ago, Neurone said:

Listening to a soundtrack from my youth, Hair

hair.jpg.29027492040a0af73f4ff388fc87a512.jpg

Wow, just had a flash back seeing that cover ?

I am currently listening to Closer by Joy Division

Closer.jpg.34ed526beef6b455ff53f62c2a267776.jpg

JJ

• Like 5

To Top