Currently Spinning

Hi All,

An album I picked up whilst OS recently, Hawkwind, The 1999 Party, Live at the Chicago Auditorium March 21, 1974

224615353_Hawkwind1999.jpg.646cb289a6ab8af95f6ab8bdbcaf5c64.jpg

Review from www.allmusic.com

Far more fuss should have been made about this concert recording when it was first unearthed from the archive back in the mid-'90s. Touring the U.S. in 1974, Hawkwind were in ferocious form. True, the sheer cohesion of 1972's Space Ritual performance was behind them, but a live show that brought in material from the recently released Hall of the Mountain Grill, alongside established older favorites, was still among the most dynamic of the day, and the ensuing The 1999 Party: Live at the Chicago Auditorium album ranks among the best live Hawkwind documents around. At first glance, the band is still driving much the same material as it always had. "Seven by Seven," "Master of the Universe," "Brainstorm," and "Welcome to the Future" are all present here. But evolution has seen all four broaden out from their "familiar" incarnations, while the change of surroundings, too, benefits all. But "Brainbox Pollution," "Psychedelic Warlords," and "D Rider" are all newfound classics, while fans of old Hawkwind B-sides will be thrilled to find "It's So Easy" (cut from the live show as the flip to the "Psychedelic Warlords" single) finally nestling in its natural habitat

Track List:

Side 1
1.    "Intro/Standing On The Edge" (4:20)
2.    "Brainbox Pollution" (7:45)
3.    "It's So Easy" (11:18)
Side 2
1.    "You Know You're Only Dreaming" (4:49)
2.    "Veterans Of A Thousand Psychic Wars" (2:19)
3.    "Brainstorm" (9:13)
4.    "Seven By Seven" (9:23)
Side 3
1.    "The Watcher" (6:52)
2.    "The Awakening" (2:53)
3.    "Paradox" (5:34)
4.    "You'd Better Believe It" (7:59)
Side 4
1.    "The Psychedelic Warlords (Disappear In Smoke)" (3:52)
2.    "D-Rider" (7:32)
3.    "Sonic Attack" (4:36)
4.    "Master Of The Universe" (7:03)
5.    "Welcome To The Future" (2:23)

JJ

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Currently listening to Yes 50th Anniversary Album

163492234_Yes50th.jpg.57ece5d237cd830e81f8511e8f57379f.jpg

JJ

Nice pic but what's it like? Better than the originals or just a generic best of?

• Like 1

Robert Plant ‎– Carry Fire. brilliant 2017 album from Mr Plant. lovely vinyl mastering by Chris Bellman.

Who would have thought all these years later after Led Zep that Plant would still be releasing superb albums whereas Jimmy Page does errr - nothing.

[IMG]

• Like 2

Whitesnake’s new album Flesh & Blood, very nice production, the bottom end has plenty of kick and impact, the guitar solos are awesome. David’s vocal performance is good also, typical hard rock in the Whitesnake style.

3AE89352-A3D7-443F-935E-BCCC4C8DE39C.png

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Luc said:

Nice pic but what's it like? Better than the originals or just a generic best of?

Hi Luc,

It is the anniversary copy of their first album from 1969, not a 'best of' or rehash but a remastering of the original tapes. This is the first time I have heard the album as the first album of theirs I have is 'The Yes Album' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yes_Album 

The_Yes_Album.png.f0c5dca7d6c599151abd90f8ea468912.png

Info about original release https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_(Yes_album)

JJ

• Like 3

1 hour ago, awayward said:

Whitesnake’s new album Flesh & Blood, very nice production, the bottom end has plenty of kick and impact, the guitar solos are awesome. David’s vocal performance is good also, typical hard rock in the Whitesnake style.

3AE89352-A3D7-443F-935E-BCCC4C8DE39C.png

And album pre-ordered.  Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

I listened to Rodrigo y Gabriela’s new album Mettavolution on Tidal by MQA yesterday, it was good but it inspired me to spin on CD tonight Live in Tokyo, which is my favourite album of theirs that I have heard. 

123D5D7F-99C5-4570-A4EA-8FF5541BADDF.jpeg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey Groovers and Shakers.

I listened to the second set of Amplifier's  "The Octopus", what a great album! 

After spruiking about giving albums a fair chance when they don't click straight away, I decided to give this one a go, definitely recommended by @Darren69 a while back.  I did a few hours cleaning, organising and packing, giving some quality listening time...

"Floating Me" – Self Titled – 2010 Floatingme – Cross Section Records.

277170836_FloatingMeSelfTitled2010FloatingmeCrossSectionRecords..jpg.43c1af2473d131aceaa8e861f4cd0d0d.jpg

Another one that had me hooked about four songs in.  An example of being in the right mood for some music.  I've been listening to lots of new stuff, mainly Op Shop Cd's, so I'm wide open for new bands.

Yeah, I got that back when it came out because I loved Scary Mother and Lucius on drums is never a bad thing.  But I never seemed to quite get it.  Saw them live at least once too.  From memory they were okay, but not great.  Should probably give the album a spin again and see what happens though.

Check out Scary Mother if you haven't already too.

• Like 1

This arrived today in the post, LRB's "Diamantina Cocktail" Oz 1st pressing......but I have delayed listening to it until now as on first inspection, this 'graded Ex' LP looked like it had seen a few too many parties.....I was not impressed and was thinking 'request refund' without even listening but have just now thought I'll give it a go. Started a bit crackly but it actually sounds pretty damn good. Maybe the seller actually 'audibly' graded it because visually, I wouldn't have even given it a VG grading.

An RV peel should improve it further.....?

Related image
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Alan Parsons Project "Turn Of A Friendly Card" US 1st pressing.....sweet SQ.?

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71pH7FYtu1L._SS500_.jpg

Your up late there my brother.

• Like 1