Currently Spinning

Hi All,

11 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

Elbow - Asleep In The Back

Image result for Elbow - Asleep In The Back

Love an Elbow album, have you heard Guy Garvey's solo album, Courting the Squall, very much in the Elbow style.

51023370_GuyGarvey.jpeg.5847166b67323429f74336a5aa4d19bc.jpeg

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 5

Hi All,

The Universe Smiles Upon You by Khruangbin, 

1738078714_UniverseSmilesUponYou.jpg.b8bd7e7f5bfa1966260d4091f17b7702.jpg

Review from www.tahoeonstage.com

The album truly has a universal feel to it as it is not grounded to any particular time period or style. Guitarist Mark Speer and drummer Donald Johnson played gospel music together in Houston before incorporating bassist Laura Lee into the fold. As a trio, the band continued to search out interestingly good music, and they fell in love with the musings of Thai-funk from the 1960s and 1970s. Thai-funk by the way of Houston gospel is certainly a psychedelic concoction, but you can hear how well the band has blended those two influences together on the serene closer “Zionsville” or “Two Fish and an Elephant,” which breezes by with the calm of the ocean at sunset.

But reducing this music as combination of gospel and Thai-funk is a disservice to the elegant creativeness of this band. This music really is its own unique, vivid world and its meditative undertone allows one to really let go and explore where the music can take you. “Mr. White” sets a perfect tone for the album as you’re tethered to the Earth on Johnson and Lee’s hushed but direct rhythm while you float along in the atmosphere to Speer’s warm, buzzed tones. “Little Joe and Mary” is tender and innocent, Speer’s high-whistling flourishes on his guitar playing with Lee’s bubbling bass line.

“The Universe Smiles Upon You” has that rare quality of being able to be played in a loop without it growing old. It just spins with the tranquility of Earth in the quiet vastness of outer space as time becomes indefinite and we become connected to the farthest reaches of universe. It is impossible to hang that art neatly in frame in your house, so you gotta go out and experience it for yourself.

JJ

• Like 5

Washing and vacuuming records, while listening to....

Eskimo Joe - Inshalla - good Aussie stuff, and so under-rated. Wifey likes this one.

Eskimo Joe - Ghosts of the Past - these are the recent represses.

Various Artists - Lost In Translation - RSD Violet vinyl - so happy to finally have this on vinyl

Powderfinger - Internationalist - dbl on purple vinyl

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill - Newbury multi-colour vinyl. Great lot of singles.

Michael Buble - It's Time - lovely Sunday morn tunes...

Photo 21-4-19, 11 21 20 am.jpg

Okay, I'm gonna cheat and include the two albums I played yesterday as well.  Whatevs.

Tool - Undertow.  Been getting, and listening to I suppose, a lot of Tool cover versions recommendations on Youtube again lately.  Acoustic, jazz, that kind of thing.  Some of them are pretty cool actually.  But felt like I needed the real deal.  Sober was the song that got me into Tool back in the day.  Just not the day/year it came out ha.

R-5076668-1383852159-5986.jpeg.jpg

Then onto something completely different with the Eels.  Not a bad album actually, he's back to going all fuzzy with the guitars.

Eels-%20The%20Deconstruction.jpg

And onto today's listening.  Felt like something laid back this morning, albeit still with some energy, and somehow A Perfect Circle got that gig. :lol:  Cool album really, even if it's not my favourite.

81YI7X9yubL._SY355_.jpg

Wasn't sure what next, but went with Mamiffer for some more laidback...ness.  But with an edge.  I really do like her sound.

a3603963917_16.jpg

https://mamiffer.bandcamp.com/album/mare-decendrii

Then, after hearing a snippet of an R.E.M. song in something, kind of wanted more.  So Automatic For The People was spun.  Nice.  That did sound good on the stereo.

514L2l8bMvL.jpg

And then a bit later, a new Bandcamp purchase With Monkey3 - Sphere.  A kind of proggy space rock stoner psych album.  :yes:  Can definitely hear some Pink Floyd in there, particularly the first couple of songs.  Well, I can, doesn't mean it's there though I guess.  I wouldn't say a huge psych kind of sound, but it's definitely pretty stonerish/fuzzy later on.  Not bad.

a1289276943_16.jpg

https://monkey-3.bandcamp.com/album/sphere

And finishing with, probably, or not, with The Myrrors - Lunar Halo.  Another new purchase.  This one is definitely a psych/jam album.  Yeaaah.

a3635408346_16.jpg

https://themyrrors-slr.bandcamp.com/album/lunar-halo

Edited by Monk
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Love an Elbow album, have you heard Guy Garvey's solo album, Courting the Squall, very much in the Elbow style.

51023370_GuyGarvey.jpeg.5847166b67323429f74336a5aa4d19bc.jpeg

JJ

I had not heard of this - I kind of drifted off Elbow after Build a Rocket Boys.  I may need to explore Garvey's solo voice!  Thanks for tip

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dilettanteque said:

I had not heard of this - I kind of drifted off Elbow after Build a Rocket Boys.  I may need to explore Garvey's solo voice!  Thanks for tip

I can recommend it too.

• Like 1

Hi there. I've been listening to LPs through an old MM setup, due to a loose cantilever in my MC. It sounds really nice anyhow.I just listened to some Prince. 

IMG_20190421_200444.thumb.jpg.3a75221d1af944c16f6abb50686abf3d.jpg

I'm currently listening to Damn The  Torpeedos. What a fantastic damn LP.

IMG_20190421_203042.jpg

• Like 3

I imagine I am pretty late to this party, but have just discovered then Late Night Tales compilations.  Have bought 2.  This one as a digital download from Zdigital and the Agnes Obel as a CD.  Both fantastic mixes of interesting and at times a bit off the wall stuff.  Will be looking for more.  Any recommendations?

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 9.06.40 pm.png

• Like 3

Brian Eno: Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy.

Arguably Eno's finest album. This reproduction from Abbey Road is a 45rpm, recorded at 1/2 speed. 

IMG_20190421_214410.jpg

• Like 2