Currently Spinning

10 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Good Morning All,

For my 7000th post I thought I would play one of my favourite ambient artists, Brian Eno - Ambient 2 with Harold Budd

Ambient2.jpg.eadaad0c83f247101aa0c6c2d840cc1c.jpg

JJ

Congratulations on that many posts.

Listening to earlier

Harrow.png.a3735ff96bd157825ceb5d6b6810f7c7.png

now onto 

TalkTalk.jpg.4af5b61e0178d6da8e102a582777dac4.jpg

• Like 5

Ghedalia Tazartes - Diaporas. Wonderfully weird.

“Diasporas / Tazartes” CD (Alga Marghen)
reviewed by Jacob Green
I swear it’s a real thrill for me each time I find any Alga Marghen CD in a used bin at a record store. It is an import label from Italy so they are not cheap but if I spot one I will buy it every time without listening to it because I know it will be something that I should hear and learn from. Everything they release is by composers with a very recognizable style but it’s hard to find one stranger than Ghedalia Tazartes partly because it’s hard to call him a composer in the strictest sense. His main instrument is voice but it is the voice of the gypsies, therefore much of his music sounds like songs. Basically Tazartes creates a bed of loops and/or drones using taped samples and synthesizers and then sings over them in a style that sounds like gypsy folk music. But it is interrupted by sudden cuts to a child speaking (reciting?), sometimes piano or string instruments stating a new theme, or found sounds, only to cut from that back into a different loop and another song. I don’t know why but it all seems to make sense when I hear it, as if I recognize the inner logic without knowing what it means. The latest release is called "Diasporas / Tazartes" and the CD has some pretty bizarre liner notes: "Ghedalia Tazartes is a nomad. He wanders through music from chant to rhythm, from one voice to another. He paves the way for the electric and the vocal paths, between the muezzin psalmody and the screaming of a rocker. He traces vague landscapes where the mitre of the white clown, the plumes of the sorcerer, the helmet of a cop and Parisian anhydride collide into polyphonic ceremonies. Don’t become a black, an arab, a Tibetan monk, a jew, a woman or an animal but to feel all this stirring deep inside of you."
Originally recorded in 1977 the first half of the disc is "Diasporas" (a dispersion of a people from their original homeland) and, as far as I can tell, is composed almost entirely out of vocal sounds looped and then chanted and sung over in a language that I don’t recognize except for the occasional French ballad or spoken passage. So we start with a 10 minute suite of songs called "Un amour si grand qu’il nie son objet" (A love so large that it denies its object) and continue down that path until track 4 goes into a little piano and toy piano piece by French electroacoustic composer Michel Chion called "Quasimodo Tango" sung in French, then back to the gypsy-esque music and loops. There are tracks that even sound kind of like a tribal punk rock orgy.
The second half of the disc called "Tazartes" must be from the early ’80s. The basic concept is the same as "Diasporas" but the recording sounds a little different. Some of the vocals sound like they are being played back on actual keyboard sampler, something which would not have been possible just a few years prior, and there is more extensive use of electronic synthesizer sounds. The overall mood for these tracks is a bit calmer and my favorite moment on the whole disc comes during track 16 when a call to prayer (not really a muezzin) turns into a woman singing an operatic aria (not really an opera) that is slowly interrupted by short samples of applause triggered by taps on a drum, which sounds a lot like fireworks at first. Another quote in the notes says, "Ghedalia is the orchestra and a pop group all in one person: the solitary opera explodes himself into an infinity of characters." Listening to such strangely unique music is truly a beautiful thing and makes me feel really spoiled because I start to think of the world as my own salad bar.

>>Jacob Green is a multi-instrumentalist living in Austin, Texas. He performs with the Austin New Music Co-Op, Brekekekekexkoaxkoax, Frontal Spanking and the Gates Ensemble.>>

images (57).jpeg

3 hours ago, keyse1 said:

I’m a CD computer person

ive never heard a bad sounding cd since I stopped buying records

Spotify it to see if you like it

Oh geez, I have! Usually when comparing them to the equivalent LP.....? It is a fact that I have some outstanding sounding CD's and SACD's but no, generally a lot of my CD's are not at an acceptable SQ standard (and indeed some of my LP's are not at an acceptable SQ standard but not many)......

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

Martin Erdman presents The Du Monde Years. Limited edition. 3×CDs plus a CD-ROM. Comprehensive liner notes by Martin who owned the label. All packed in a transparent plastic satchel with zip. Disc 1. 

The complete tracklist for those old enough to know this label.

'Rock & Pop' 20 Originals
1-1    –McPhee    Sunday Shuffle    3:25
1-2    –King Fox    Unforgotten Dreams    4:57
1-3    –Clapham Junction    Emily On Sunday    2:55
1-4    –Galadriol*    A Girl Of Seventeen    4:04
1-5    –Flake (7)    Where Are You?    4:17
1-6    –Flake (7)    Say Goodbye (Sharon's Song)    4:28
1-7    –Harry Young And Sabbath    The Wheat In The Field    3:13
1-8    –Harry Young And Sabbath    You Can't Destroy Love    2:31
1-9    –King Fox    I Think You're Fine    4:45
1-10    –King Fox    Timepiece    3:34
1-11    –Brenda Glover    Fanny Adams    3:43
1-12    –The 69ers*    Go Back Home    2:48
1-13    –Kerry Lyons    Field Players Day    3:54
1-14    –Harry Young And Sabbath    The Sand, Sea & The Sky    4:02
1-15    –Galadriol*    The Lady Was A Thief    3:25
1-16    –Frog Hollow    Over Under Sideways Down    3:15
1-17    –The Original Battersea Heroes    Little Miss Lucy & Boogie Chicken    4:03
1-18    –Ben Turpin    What Could I Do    3:00
1-19    –Flake (7)    Life Is Getting Better    3:18
1-20    –Sister Janet Mead    The Lord Is My Shepherd    2:53
'Rock & Pop' 20 Covers
2-1    –Flake (7)    This Wheel's On Fire    3:06
2-2    –Flake (7)    Under The Silent Tree    3:53
2-3    –Samael Lilith    Nights In White Satin    4:39
2-4    –The 69ers*    Harry Rag    3:38
2-5    –Harry Young And Sabbath    San Bernadino    3:07
2-6    –Elm Tree    Rainbow    3:15
2-7    –The Trailblazers (2)    Whiplash    1:39
2-8    –Sister Janet Mead    The Sounds Of Silence    3:07
2-9    –Flake (7)    Reflections Of My Life    4:51
2-10    –The T-Kiwi's    Our World    3:42
2-11    –Donnie Sutherland    Fairyland    3:24
2-12    –Abigail (13)    Je T'Aime    3:24
2-13    –The 69ers*    On The Road Again    1:43
2-14    –Benny Ford    Death Of A Clown    2:54
2-15    –Toby Jug*    If Paradise Is Half As Nice    2:54
2-16    –Sharon Sims    To Be The One You Love    2:54
2-17    –Lindsay Horner    Australia Down Under    3:26
2-18    –Flake (7)    You've Got Me Thinking    2:51
2-19    –McPhee    The Wrong Time    6:40
2-20    –McPhee    Superstar    5:04
13 Fun Songs, 10 Rocking Country Tunes & 3 Songs Of Peace
3-1    –1957 Stadium Rockers    Yakety Yak    2:22
3-2    –Rolf Harris    Farmers Boy    3:25
3-3    –Rolf Harris    Jimmy Johnson    3:07
3-4    –John Waters (4)    Ballad Of Pilliga Pete    2:48
3-5    –The Purple Pageant*    Violets Holiday    1:53
3-6    –Famous Peter Miller Jug Band    Flat Foot Floogie    2:38
3-7    –Mad Marty And The Canaries    The Today Song    1:30
3-8    –1905 Ramsgate Ballroom Dance Band    Felicity    1:59
3-9    –The 69ers*    Harry Rag (Live At Sunbury 1973)    5:32
3-10    –Chris Kirby & Terry*    Green Green Grass Of Home    4:38
3-11    –Chris Kirby & Terry*    Old MacDonald    1:59
3-12    –David Williams (50)    I'm Mr Dark    2:15
3-13    –Ken Gallagher    Clean Up The Ocean    2:13
3-14    –Flat Rock Drive    Country Muster    2:45
3-15    –The Country Playboys (2)    Country Playboy    1:49
3-16    –Nev Nicholls & The Country Playboys (2)    Better Move It On Home    2:13
3-17    –John Brownrigg    Ned Kelly    3:27
3-18    –The Country Playboys (2)    Cotton Picking Guitar    2:22
3-19    –Nev Nicholls    Nashville Piper    3:03
3-20    –Johnny Heap    Meet Me In The Texas Tavern    2:56
3-21    –Nev Nicholls    Bouquet Of Roses    2:36
3-22    –Jim Hinckley    Bushfire    3:21
3-23    –Nev Nicholls    Wheels Of Progress    2:23
3-24    –Rael Kay    Shalom (Peace)    0:50
3-25    –Rael Kay    To Life    3:11
3-26    –Sister Janet Mead    Sabbath Prayer    2:38
Interactive CD Rom for Windows, Includes Tracks On Computer Wav Files Only
4-1    –Chris Kirby (4)    Iskybibble (The Story Of)    4:18
4-2    –Ken Gallagher, Martin Erdman & Stewart Smith (6)    Clean Up The Ocean (New Version 1985)    2:52
4-3    –Ken Gallagher    Jeremy    3:16
4-4    –The Junior Australians    Iskybibble Song    2:08
4-5    –David Williams (50)    I'm Mr. Dark    2:15

images (61).jpeg

• Like 2

THE SMITHS: THE QUEEN IS DEAD (CD)

THE CLASH: COMBAT ROCK

I'm with Stevoz on that one. Just listening to some CDs, while changing VT F and fitting a different cartridge to the TT I've been using. It can be a bit of a labour of love if you go for more vintage stuff, but to me it's worth every second. There's something about vinyl that I find CD/ digital doesn't seem to capture. I do enjoy CDs, but I'm pretty much in love with LPs. They are way too expensive and if I didn't have a long historical trajectory with vinyl, I'd almost certainly find the same kind of pleasure in digital music. 

Hook, line and sinker.

IMG_20190316_170331.jpg

IMG_20190316_170433.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, hired goon said:

a2587958130_16.jpg

Ayla Nereo - By The Light Of The Dark Moon -- another excellent album from Ayla, a cross between Gaelic folk (vocally) and lush electronics & beats (instrumentally). Kinda like Sia or Dido in places. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.  

--Geoff

Sounds like it would be choice

• Like 1

I can't get away from this LP right now....

Urgent, piano driven messages from the despair of the loss of Capitol Hill.

The current American Condition, writ large.

How did this not garner a Grammy nomination?.... clearly their best (quieter, sure) album.

A Perfect Circle - Eat The Elephant (2LP OG).

Eat The Elephant (180gm Vinyl)

• Like 6

1st listen and I think one of his best efforts.  Really full production sound.   Everything really pops from the speakers with Eric's voice and guitar right out front.

Looking forward to further listens.

Regards Cazzesman

thebookends-e1544250508359.jpg

• Like 1

GENESIS (LP, 2018 re-pressing) 

There was no Gabriel in this one. It had elements of Collins's upcoming pop stuff. Nonetheless, I always loved this one. 

IMG_20190316_181814.jpg

• Like 1

POWRDERFINGER: INTERNATIONALIST (20TH Anniversary double LP, expanded edition of the 1998 Polydore release).

This edition has a smoking sound quality. It really rocks.

IMG_20190316_191407.jpg

IMG_20190316_191827.jpg

Edited by Me2also
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, candyflip said:

I can't get away from this LP right now....

Urgent, piano driven messages from the despair of the loss of Capitol Hill.

The current American Condition, writ large.

How did this not garner a Grammy nomination?.... clearly their best (quieter, sure) album.

A Perfect Circle - Eat The Elephant (2LP OG).

Eat The Elephant (180gm Vinyl)

Such a unique album, one that I never get tired of, I just wish I knew what half the lyrics are about.

• Like 1

So I've been playing a bit of music this week...

IMG_20190316_185126-02.jpg.745f9501115db9f115a96b64eff89995.jpg

:w00t:

And one of today's plays was APC with Eat The Elephant.  Definitely not my favourite APC album, but I was left wanting more of it after it finished though, so I do like it.

81YI7X9yubL._SY355_.jpg

And currently playing Metallica.

Metallica_-_Metallica_cover.jpg

?

Also, seeing Alice In Chains was awesome this week.  Although unfortunately the setlist showed that I'm really only a casual fan which kind of sucks.  I've got my favourite albums, and that's about all I know.  Oh well.  It was a good gig regardless.  And the support band Elko Fields were frigging good as well.

• Like 3

To Top