Currently Spinning

The Hold Steady- Separation Sunday

downloadfile-38.jpeg.e802f063282281e2edd19d7b6ac0aaf8.jpeg

More gritty tales of Urban America woven around a recurring cast of characters; Holly the Hoodrat, Gideon, Charlemagne and co. 

Lovely stuff.

Good triphop that only infrequently travels too far into the usual "stimulants required to avoid feeling bored by this" territory. But it does leave me hanging out for some dub.

R-221131-1171587727.jpeg.jpg

Trivia from Discogs: " The Track 'Lazytown' Is A Sort Of Instrumental Cover Of The CAN-Track "Connection" (Mar69) First Published On "Unlimited Edition"1976"

• Like 3

BOYGENIUS - Boygenius EP

boygenius is Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridges and Lucy Dacus.  Need I say more?

kD0Vxff.jpg?1

LEE MOSES - Time and Place

An often forgotten soul singer of great talent. He deserves to be better known. Spotify/Tidal or youtube him and hopefully you'll find his music just as brilliant as I do. 

ynys4Lb.jpg?1

JOSE JAMES - Love In A Time Of Madness

Some smooth funk soul jazz.

NYwk0e4.jpg?1

BRONSKI BEAT - Age Of Consent 35 year reissue on pink vinyl of course

uQw5JZT.jpg?1

Edited by Citroen
  • Like 2

Jack Dangers - Loudness Clarifies 2×CD (Important)

I'm about to listen to the beats disc having just finished the musique concrete one which wouldn't be out of place on the avant-garde thread. Dangers also goes by the moniker Meat Beat Manifesto. A review below from Brainwashed.

http://brainwashed.com/common/htdocs/discog/imprec042.php?site=mbm07

images (78).jpeg

• Like 1

Not sure Tidal streaming amounts to spinning but this is fabulous album I found through Roon. If I come across it in vinyl I will definitely purchase it.  JS Ondara was born in Kenya and emigrated to the USA. Strong clear singing with lovely rhythm and great lyrics.   

Tales of America.jpg

• Like 1

Joan Armatrading - To The Limit

600753605165.jpg

I personally think that this 1978 release from Joan Armatrading is one of her best albums (out of the ones I've heard). The last of three albums produced by Glyn Johns, and the follow up to 'Show Some Emotion' (which I think it surpasses).

For some unknown reason though it has been in the hard to get basket for a number of years, with people asking high prices for copies. Fortunately, I have an LP copy which I bought not long after it was released, so have been listening to it quite a bit over the years. I noticed recently though that it has been re-released on CD by a label called 'Music On CD' in 2016, and the price has come down to a more sensible level. So, even though I have the LP, I decided to buy this CD version to see how it stacks up.

This is a fairly straight forward release, in that there are no bonus tracks or extra liner notes, just the original album tracks and cover art, albeit packaged in one of those 'Super Jewel Box' cases that they tend to use for SACDs (which this isn't). There is no mention of any remastering on the cover either.

Sound quality though is excellent, and I have been playing this on high rotation for the last few days. Wikipedia (the definitive source!) says that she wanted to get more of a live sound with this album, so employed a smaller number of musicians playing as a live studio band, with minimal overdubs. Well, it may be a smaller band, but they have a big sound, and they are brilliant. Everything just works so well on this album, Joan is in fine form, the band is great, providing excellent backing throughout, with some well placed solo parts here and there. I reckon this album is a must have for any Joan Armatrading fan.

I could pick a number of songs from the album, but my personal favourite is probably the last track, 'Let It Last', which has something of a gospel feel to it. (Unfortunately the sound quality on this YouTube clip isn't the greatest and doesn't do it justice. The 'Music On CD' release is very good though, as is the LP.)

Incidentally, I also notice that her very first album  "Whatever's For Us" (1972) is due for re-release on the Esoteric label in April as a remastered and expanded edition. Haven't placed my order yet, but probably will.

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 5