Currently Spinning

Guest deanB
4 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Thought I should back up my earlier post...

Nana Mouskouri 'What Now My Love' Not Dated - Fontana Records. Phonogram, Aust.

1849487398_NanaMouskouriWhatNowMyLoveNotDated-FontanaRecords.PhonogramAust..JPG.3cb6ff45d3bb3cc0eb55ce32a5abbbaf.JPG

My brother delights in reminding me, and everyone else, that I had a massive boy crush on Nana, and the girl from the old Lufthansa add on tv.

She does take me back a few years.  It's an Op Shop find, so a little crackly, and it also has a random bass thump throughout, not sure what is causing it.  Apart from the surface scratches there is no visible damage, no dents or buckles.

Anyone have any thoughts what it might be???

Cheers, Ant.

Demis Roussos' irregular heartbeat?

Very relaxed after listening to Nana, there is something in her voice that resonates with me, probably from my childhood.  There is no doubt she has a soothing effect on me.

She prompted me to go further back in time...

'Popular Music of the 1940's - Vol Two' 1986 EMI, Aust. 5 Records, 100 songs.

1454137369_PopularMusicofthe1940s-VolTwo1986EMIAust.5Records100songs..JPG.1199b66581d7038a5d9722c3dbf540c0.JPG

I think I paid $10 for this a while back in excellent condition, and sounds great after a wash and vacuum. 

From the back cover - The re-issue of many of these vintage performances was made possible by tape transfer from original 78rpm discs...

Not something I listen to often, but perfect when in the right mood.

Edit;  So relaxing I almost fell asleep in the recliner.

Goodnight Boys.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, metal beat said:

Queens Of The Stone Age ‎– Songs For The Deaf. original 2002 UK pressing. Got my tiks to see them next month - can't wait.

[IMG]

I love QOTSA, and I think this is still their best album.  It has Davey Grohlson's fingerprints all over it, so no surprise, really...

6 hours ago, keyse1 said:

40 years ago you would have needed a tank to ward off the flak

but anyone who could listen to more than 8 seconds of Status Quo wouldn’t understand the The Stones 

let alone Bob

Whoa there! I can't listen to eight seconds of Quo these days?......and were you being just a tad elitist there, being of a higher 'understanding' and all??

As for 'let alone Bob', yeah, I acknowledge he's a good wordsmith but I'm generally not listening to music for lyrics but that's just me. As for his 'music', pretty average in my opinion. I didn't mind Hurricane though.? As I said, it's all subjective. I respect and appreciate that you like the Stones and Bob, just as I respect and appreciate that some people like Status Quo......and none of us will ever understand everything.?

Hi All,

Some Ambient prior to going off to golf.

Guze.jpg.17aae4b741903a133e2786f3a5b920b2.jpg 

From 'Bandcamp'.

"Gaze", the first collaboration from acclaimed ambient producers w u s o 命 & Sangam, marks the first in the "BLUD DROP" series - collaborative mini-albums from BLUDHONEY artists pressed on 7" vinyl. The two artists' chemistry is immediate and undeniable - across 13 minutes and 5 tracks, every moment of "Gaze" is intimate, organic, and vibrant. Rain-soaked synthesizers and etheral textures evoke late-night cyberpunk cityscapes and dimly lit hotel rooms. Spellbinding and somber, "Gaze" is an essential cut of hypnagogic synth.

JJ

• Like 3

Starting up with a little Psychedelic sunshine...

The Claypool Lennon Delerium 'The Monolith of Phobos' 2016 Prawn Song Records, Chimera Music, ATO Records, USA.

1119386848_TheClaypoolLennonDeleriumTheMonolithofPhobos2016PrawnSongRecordsChimeraMusicATORecordsUSA.JPG.1baa343e9a2415af8befa2e1197b18b2.JPG

A bit of a dodgy pressing though.  Looks great but has a few annoying clicks and rasps. Will be ordering a CD copy ASAP, tried to buy a download but after two hours hunting I gave up.

• Like 2

Sufjan Stevens ‎– Carrie & Lowell - wonderful album but has some pressing issues on the first two tracks on side one - most are bearable now after a half dozen cleans. seems all the pressing have issues one way or another, which is a real pity.

[IMG]

• Like 4

Last night, after my beloved Swans got yet another reality check, I obtained solace with the following, all vinyl.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/SgtPepper-1.jpg

868733202_ScatterbrainHereComesTroublecover.jpg.243fd88b74fc2d750923e624cd4ba4bb.jpg

348554411_DonaldFagenTheNightflycoverLarge.thumb.jpg.432a074a7e528b3bb79e1d9d37e75dd4.jpg

This may seem like a strange disconnected progression of choices but I wanted to play some recent plays where I had a familiarity with the sound. The reason for this was because I have been happily spinning with my Grace F8C fitted for about 4 months now, giving the Level II RC a well earned rest and with my Level II BR/MR on it's way back from needlestein in the US, I wanted to familiarise myself with the Level II sound again before comparison's with the returning BR/MR when it arrives......

Well, as happy as I was with the F8C, I was quickly reminded just how much better the Level II RC is. An astounding cart! During most of my listening sessions, I put an LP on and listen from the next room while at the computer but last night found myself transfixed to the 'sweet spot' in front of the speakers for well over an hour and a half......and having regular 'eargasms'! Having just recently purchased Sgt. Peppers, it was probably not the best starting point so moved onto Scatterbrain and there it was....the difference to the F8C was obvious. I had to turn it up due to the difference in output (Level II's 3.0mV to the F8C's 5.0mV) and had 80dB (Sound Meter App) of refined, completely 'fatigue free' sound coming at me......sonic bliss! Thrash metal (admittedly 'quality' thrash metal?) @ 80dB......totally balanced, focused and fatigue free. Fagen's 'The Nightfly'.....well, that was next level?. It has me very excited as to what the BR/MR with it's superior stylus profile will deliver.:frantics:

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 3

Murcof x Vanessa Wagner - Statea.

While Mexican electronic producer Fernando Corona (aka Murcof) and French classical pianist Vanessa Wagner have traversed distinctly different musical career paths, one thing that cohesively unites them is a shared love of minimalism. It’s this shared interest that originally led the two artists to collaborate on a live performance six years ago that saw them re-interpreting the works of twentieth century composers such as Arvo Part, John Cage and Morton Feldman. Six years on, this album ‘Statea’ offers up the fruits of the duo spending years refining and capturing the live essence of their performance, and the results are extremely impressive.

One of the things that’s immediately apparent is the understated subtlety of Murcof’s electronic contributions. While they certainly form an integral part of the arrangements here, with beats occasionally shifting into the foreground, a lot of the time he focuses more upon treating the echoes and aftertones of Wagner’s playing until they’re instruments and droning atmospherics of their own. They’ve certainly got a broad canvas to work with here, too. The opening piece, John Cage’s ‘In A Landscape’ almost reaches eleven minutes in length, as delicately rippling melodic keys trace a path against warm ambient drones before sudden bass notes usher in a sense of brooding darkness, the bright piano motifs circling against a growing sense of foreboding as Murcof adds digital treatments to the crashing chords. Towards the end, an ominous slow rhythmic pulse begins to rise out of the background drones as slow-motion snare crashes get dubbed out against muted bass kicks and eerie minor-key synth flourishes.

If the aforementioned track manages to introduce the sense of vast, widescreen atmosphere going on here, the duo’s reinterpretation of Arvo Part’s ‘Variations For The Healing Of Arinushka’ sees twinkling minimalist notes being digitally stretched off into the distance before a throbbing minimal techno pulse rises into the foreground, the entire track seeming to propel itself forward like a train as the dramatic keys build in intensity against the rattling snares, only for the entire track to suddenly trail off into a feather-light solo piano finish. Elsewhere, the duo’s take on Aphex Twin’s ‘Avril 14th’ offers up the one contemporary track here as well as this album’s most concise piece, threading the original’s delicate melodies through a feather-light backdrop of fluttering synthetic rhythms and trailing ambient tones.

If it’s perhaps the one inclusion here that remains fairly reverential to the original version, elsewhere, the duo’s reinterpretation of Erik Satie’s ‘Gnossienne 3’ sees the ominously delicate piano melodies being counterpointed by darkly lurking electronic treatments that see them being twisted into shadowy after-echoes of themselves, in an inspired take that amplifies the growing sense of fear in a way that would never have been technically possible in Satie’s time. In many ways it’s emblematic of why these reinterpretations work so well, with Murcof and Wagner tuning in to the emotional atmospheres contained in these compositions, and then working to amplify them even further. In short, ‘Statea’ offers up what’s easily one of 2016’s biggest highlights. Chris Downton - Cyclic Defrost review.

images (16).jpeg