Currently Spinning

Xylouris White - Goats

Image result for xylouris white goats

Traditional(ish) Greek lute of George Xylouris meets the post-punk drumming of Jim White.  World/post-punk/jazz crossover?  Whatever it is, it works for me.  Great pressing too by Pirates Press.

• Like 3

My copy is crystal clear and dynamic. A few clicks here and there though, not removed by cleaning. 

Wonderful album. Great rhythmic sounds, greek lute and drumming. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

Album: The Glass Soldier   Artist: Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

I first heard pieces from this album on Anzac Day last year on ABC Classic FM.

The main work of the album is a 5 movement suite titled The Glass Soldier Suite.  It was written by Australian composer Nigel Westlake.  There is quite a bit of background story to the piece that relates to the experiences of a soldier from Ballarat.  The rest of the album features some music/songs reflective of the mood, some brass ensemble, and trumpet performances by Geoffrey Payne.

More information here: http://www.move.com.au/disc/nigel-westlake-the-glass-soldier

435424783_snaTheGlassSoldier.jpg.5aed5446336581073e460f0eebe38833.jpg

• Like 3

John Butler - Ocean

Image result for john butler ocean

I've never managed to really get into John Butler, despite many of my friends being big fans.  Regardless, there's no denying his mastery of the guitar and this 12" highlights his skills and is one of the few JB releases I really enjoy.  When I first played it, it was noisy as buggery.  A quick cycle through the ultrasonic cleaner and now his guitar work is pouring forth from an inky black background.  Highly recommended.

• Like 3

Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights

Image result for julien baker turn out the lights

I've mentioned this album before and have since bought it on vinyl  Mine is the translucent purple pressing.  It sounds superb for the most part, but there are a few very minor clicks and pops throughout that remain despite a clean.  Worse still, there are a couple of places where there is audible distortion for a second or two.  Overall, I would still recommend it as it's a superb sounding record with the odd distraction.  If you have one of the other pressings and it's spot on, please let me know.

• Like 3

Probably my second favourite Zorn album first up, the 15th anniversary edition of The Big Gundown gets the favourite guernsey, but I digress.  I think it might be the first Zorn album I did hear though, and it sucked me into the avant-garde world for a bit.  Damn fine album.

R-410929-1287557400.jpeg.jpg

Then some Pink Floyd.  Not bad.  Probably didn't play it loud enough though ha.

1200x630bb.jpg

And then onto the majestic pomp that is Godspeed You! Black Emperor.  Hadn't actually played this one in a while, so good to revisit.

R-74260-1227014818.jpeg.jpg

Currently listening to Swans To Be Kind, but at this hour, I probably won't finish the first CD before I have to do stuff.  Oh well.  Some Swans is better than no Swans.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Kafunis said:

The Band-Stage Fright

IMG_4624[1].JPG

Hey man, how's the SQ on this? I've been looking for a Rob Ludwig copy in good nick but without any success. Maybe this could be suitable. Any idea who did the remastering? cheers ..yee

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YCC said:

Advertising for WD-40?!!

Closer to the truth than you realise.......? There's a bit more to the story but this snippet from Wikipedia's "Rust Never Sleeps" page sums it up.

"The title is borrowed from the slogan for Rust-Oleum paint, and was suggested by Mark Mothersbaugh of the new wave band Devo."

Devo came up with that slogan as they moonlighted as advertisers for local businesses to raise band funds.

You can see Neil Young and Devo jamming 'My My, Hey Hey' here:

It actually goes on for around 11 minutes. There's a lower resolution clip on youtube of the full jam. It's crazy stuff! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1