Currently Spinning

1 hour ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Something different from Bob Marley :) :

R-795669-1228574946.jpeg.jpg

JJ

Great album, I had my house painted a few years ago and was playing this album, one of the painters told me that he designed the album artwork!

• Like 2

Well.

Finally got around to getting the last Primus album.  Probably more of a concept album from them I guess.  Okay, not outstanding (on first album listen).  Really looking forward to seeing them live next month though.  Will be good to see them in a venue as opposed to Soundwave where they played 20 minutes.  

primus-the-desaturating-seven-album-artw

Then onto some Vegas Kings.  I may have been drinking by this point.  It's got some energy this.

a4215898717_16.jpg

Then some SOAD.

I may have headbanged a bit to this.  Not sure why.  It's not like it's the heaviest album I've got or the fastest, but there's just something about it that gets me moving.

203711-L-LO.jpg

Following up that is always hard, can't seem to find something like it.  But clicked on Dead Can Dance and that seemed to work for me today.  Totally different sound, and maybe that's a good thing.  

DEAD_CAN_DANCE_-_ANASTASIS_lp2.jpg

• Like 3

I shouldn't really pop this up as it's a four record opus by a  late 60's early 70's super group who out voted most Aussies punters when a late 79/80 NewYear poll was done for the best live concerts in Oz during the 70's.

If I remember the magazine in question it was RAM and not long after it, it died the death of collective irrelevance as the music scene changed and pub rock reached it's zenith.

But anyway...this album was flawed.  Yes it needed four sides to get it's message across but unfortunately the sublime was mixed in with the mundane.

It was of course that mixture of sublime and farking rubbish which held me in thrall and millions of others. Many who wouldn't admit openly that they owned it let alone played it.

Still to this day I can't imagine that too many people under 60+ listen to this on a regular basis. Anyone under this probably needs their head read.

It is of course YES'  Tales From Topographic Oceans.

There is so so much to love in this album like Steve Howe's lovely little licks metering Rick Wakeman's superb electric piano notes which the sotto voiced Jon Anderson matches and adds a lovely upbeat gravitas and then mixes it up with some French that seems entirely appropriate.

It's flawed,it's gobsmacking in it's conceit, but for a certain section of the listening public it's an essential element of their musical library and more importantly of thier younger self and life.

It's just so off at times that it's ridiculously avant-garde in the extreme.

It's absolutely effulgent to me, lambent and splendid and that's a nice tautology to finish on.

Tales From Topographic Oceans. Sides 1/2/3/4.

image.thumb.png.aaea7ae2f4e681dc729e0aeb13be89b4.png

*If the final vocal by J.Anderson and Wakeman and Howe's little riffs back an forth don't bring a damp spot to your eye then your not of a certain milieu and that's fine. We all live in different eras at the end of the day.

**Apols for long explanation of 'currently Spinning' track here at Luc's.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

You're talking about one of my top 10 albums of all time there Lee!

I ignore any flaws that may be somewhat hidden to some yet more overt to the slightly more assiduous listeners like your good-self. This album, to me at least, reaches the zenith of their work in that it relies on less discordant passages in favour of the more soporific and melodic ones.

There are strong resemblances to Jon Anderson's debut solo effort, "Olias of Sunhillow" (another masterpiece) which to me is a good thing but I must agree with you that I would find it doubtful that not many youngsters would place these 2 albums high on their playlist. More's the pity!

Prog on!

• Like 5

Rather wonderful and challenging , half live recordings from ABC studio, Southbank.

Diane Peters (harp) leads a cool band thru some very cool original compositions. 

Percussion, string bass, sax, trombone, all exceptionally well recorded and captured. A good system check disc for ' realness' in a recording.

Billy.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Still on the 60’s

green Green Grass of Home 

Tom Jones you say

gotta be kidding

Merle Haggard of course 

he can sing

i mean really sing

sigh 

I’ll be the only person there that knows this

naturally

34D3FEE7-3C33-484A-B1EB-9C675C73D44A.jpeg

• Like 3

On 23 March 2018 at 4:50 PM, Luc said:

Always thumbs up Yessongs. Saw them in 72 at Festival hall with this line up on the record.

So I'm on IPA and WELD(don't need a pic for Neil surely)

@Luc, March 23rd, 1973 to be exact.    Billy.

• Like 1

Anna von Hausswolff ‎– Dead Magic

Long awaited follow-up to 2015's The Miraculous. 

Its dark and cinematic, yet the interplay of voice and organ make for some uplifting joyous moments.

This really is magical! 

R-11643810-1519994326-9038.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

Elmore Judd - Insect Funk.

This is the second full-length release by North London's Jesse Hackett aka Elmore Judd. Weird, between-the-sheets soul from Tufnell Park. P-Funk running into art-school disco, rock avant-gardism, UK hip-hop, African roots music, a bit of rembetica from Greece, horror soundtracks and jazz. An ecstatic, danceable, menacing record populated by pirates, rats, Snakefinger, dead men and Tron. Drummer Tom Skinner, who played on Elmore Judd's first record Angel Sound, makes a re-appearance on Insect Funk, playing a kit, primitive drum machines, scaffolding poles and pots and pans. A dirty exploration of the scaly underbelly of soul as played by art hobos.- Forced Exposure.

images (98).jpeg

• Like 1

To Top