Currently Spinning

4 hours ago, Zen Mister said:

Very sad to learn of the death of Tom Rapp.

Tom, with the shifting amalgamation known as ' PEARLS BEFORE SWINE" recorded some of the most quietly influential music of the sixties and seventies. As a teenager, any music nerds in my circle had at least one of his albums.

Psychedelic Chamber Folk Rock covers it, but with the wonderful lyrics he wrote, it went to another level.

Elton and Bernie wrote ROCKET MAN after hearing Toms' song, ' STARDANCER' but could never get near the melancholy visited in Toms' lament.

" FOR THE DEAD IN SPACE" from the same album, is one of my all time favourite lyrics for anyone, any era.

He retired from the music industry for many years, but was often encouraged to play the odd date for the aficionados.

Billy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well,there you go. Learn someting every day. I'd never heard of him. Thanks,Billy. I must check him out.

Like the Breugel cover art.☺

Adrian Utley's Guitar Orchestra ‎– In C 2xlp

I never tire listening to any variation of Terry Riley's In C, and this one is no exception.

Adrian Utley (Portishead) brings together an orchestra of electric guitar players to interpret Terry Riley's 'In C'.

Written in 1964,‘In C’ is one of the most influential pieces of music from the 20th Century, it established minimalism as a music genre. In C's simple musical rules - 53 musical phrases in C and no duration - allow for infinite variations.

Utley's impressive Guitar Orchestra is augmented by organs and a clarinet making for a mesmeric sound experience. The Guitar Orchestra consists of 24 musicians from Bristol: 19 guitarists including John Parish (PJ Harvey), Thought Forms, and Jim Barr (Portishead live band); 4 organs and a bass clarinet.

The effect is an organic musical experience very much created in front of the audience both fragile and thunderingly uplifting.

“I've been exploring the sonic possibilities of massed guitars for a while now in various contexts from pure noise to the sacred choral music of Arvo Part. So it was interesting to see what would happen if we had 20 electric guitars plus organs playing ‘In C’. It is an amazing piece of writing and original thought. A new free idea of organised group playing. The beginnings of what we know as minimalism." Adrian Utley

Invada Records will release this specially recorded live version of 'In C' by Adrian Utley’s Guitar Orchestra on 14th October 2013. The album was recorded live at St Georges Hall, Bristol, one of Britain’s leading concert halls which is known for its astounding acoustic and unique atmosphere.

The core members of the orchestra will tour later in the year augmented by musicians from the countries they visit including England, France and Poland.

R-5096383-1427737630-7751.jpeg.jpg

• Like 3

Led Zep II and IV Deluxe double vinyl editions

Have a few copies of the single lps but only AU/NZ well worn ones.

So Amazon UK have the deluxe versions now for only about $25 shipped. Too good a deal not to get. Still plenty left at this price too.

5a83c52cc4266_LedZep24.thumb.jpg.4faa42010837e8f3991986382a034d57.jpg 

• Like 4

first spin of this. Epic score while in Perth at Christmas. sealed. Must have been on the shelf for 6 years. 500 copies only.

This is The Drones very stripped back and contemplative (so far!), only one side in and loving it.

The Drones - A Thousand Mistakes [2011]

20180214_202158.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, YCC said:

wow! you sure love your mariachi!

They were in a collection that i am sorting through (one is still factory sealed) & when i saw recent posts of Herb it occured to me that I have not heard a complete album of his in over 40 years, so i gave the Tijuana brass a spin, then things just got out of control...............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched a big nasty storm sidewipe us while cooking stuff on the BBQ and for some reason Shirley Manson came to mind so i've been playing Garbage ever since.

image.jpeg.e2056a1a5ec37c05e091100cdb76f177.jpeg

Remixes from a DL too so no idea who I'm actually listening too but it's bloody nice with this red lemme tell you.

• Like 3

So this dude Tyler Warren has some downtime between gigs on the Queen tour, and decides to recreate the entire Permanent Waves album by Rush. Vocals, guitar, bass, drums, synths. And nails it. And the same studio sounds as well. Bastard. And yeah, I could totes play that, if I wanted to. I just don't feel like it. Dig that Rickenbacker bass, though. Noice.

--Geoff

• Like 2

On 10/02/2018 at 5:36 PM, keyse1 said:

And  New York Dolls themseves 

gotta laugh

rock n roll heaven

image.jpg

In 2004, Morrissey invited legendary band New York Dolls to play a very special live show at the Meltdown Festival in London at Royal Festival Hall. 
180 gram audiophile vinyl
Etched D side
First time on vinyl
Includes insert
Limited edition of 1500 numbered pink copies  

Exclusive to musiconvinyl.com

3513_foto2_product_groot.jpg

• Like 3

Kicking the weekend off by streaming Marlon Williams new album - Make Way For Love.

Image result for marlon williams make way for love

If you like Roy Orbison, Chris Isaak, Richard Hawley and the like, then this album will be for you.  It was written post break up with Aldous Harding and is awash with reverb and heartbreak.  The post breakup duet with Aldous, Nobody Gets What They Want Any More is a stunner.  The album is superb.

• Like 3

Kicking the weekend off by streaming Marlon Williams new album - Make Way For Love.

Marlon_Williams.jpg

If you like Roy Orbison, Chris Isaak, Richard Hawley and the like, then this album will be for you.  It was written post break up with Aldous Harding and is awash with reverb and heartbreak.  The post breakup duet with Aldous, Nobody Gets What They Want Any More is a stunner.  The album is superb.
Had this on yesterday. I had mixed feelings about it. His voice + reverb is amazing but I found the production and lyrics a touch overpolished and the album overall a little too much on the pop-ish side. Will give it another go.
  • Like 1