Currently Spinning

2 hours ago, keyse1 said:

What sort of job allows for selecting and playing esoteric music?

and where can I get one?

Contract vine grafting. I'm in a large nursery. Those that are young enough (which I'm not) and doing change overs (from one grape variety to another) in vineyards, are pulling in $1300-$1500 per day. I get to listen to tunes all day, although the heat burns you out eventually. We've just had 2 weeks straight of temps from 38c-45c. More on the way next week. :(

• Like 3

15 hours ago, stevoz said:

Great band and album. I have this version: https://www.discogs.com/Talking-Heads-Stop-Making-Sense-Tour/release/6871313
5a72fa0426ee5_TalkingHeadsStopMakingSenseTourcover.jpg.fb1216ec831b5754484d952c3e27cc0b.jpg
On grey vinyl, very nice pressing and SQ (remastered) but the crowd sounds a bit disconnected to the show. While I thought this might be because it was from a movie/doco soundtrack, I haven't heard the original release to know if this an issue on that.....but the music sounds great and there's 14 songs on it.:thumb:    ........not actually 'currently spinning' it, watching the Perth Scorchers getting 'Caned!!:P

shame, that's a bootleg!

• Like 1

On 01/02/2018 at 5:12 PM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Cool and sometimes electric 

Heavy metal oud! They were great at Womad a few years back!

If you fancy your oud a little more mellow check out Le Trio Joubran's Asfar and Majaz, Dhaffer Youssef

or Oz oud hero Joseph Tawadros

https://www.discogs.com/artist/241061-Dhafer-Youssef

https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=le+trio+joubran&type=all

https://www.discogs.com/artist/2188866-Joseph-Tawadros

regards Ian

• Like 2

On 1/30/2018 at 10:13 PM, Y B said:

Phoebe Bridgers ‎– Stranger In The Alps

Really like listening to this melancholy and beautifully sung album by a young new artist, more so each repeated listening. Definitely one of the best from 2017 for me.

Unfortunately, she is on Dead Oceans. I have stopped buying Dead Oceans' vinyl releases due to their subpar sq. Does anyone here own the black vinyl release of this album? Could you please comment on the sq?

a3164574832_16.jpg

Great album Max. :thumb:

I don't have it on vinyl, but I've listened to the ltd edition lavender pressing and it's noisy as hell.  There's also a black vinyl version, but I haven't heard any reports on that.  If you manage to find out, please let me know.  This is definitely on my must buy on vinyl list.  @Hensa  @PKay @scuzzii this is one that'll be very much to your tastes I reckon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

The Beloved - X.  1996 original UK pressing.   This is the 3rd and last album from the Beloved. 3 albums from 1990 to 1996 then virtually disappeared.      Brilliant Electronic IDM band with faultless production.

Well, closer to Pet Shop Boys than IDM, but yeah. And Robert Fripp plays guitar on one track :thumb:

--Geoff

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hired goon said:

Well, closer to Pet Shop Boys than IDM, but yeah. And Robert Fripp plays guitar on one track :thumb:

--Geoff

the beloved were not really poppy like PSB's.  a little darker and deeper imo.  They were IDM 12 months before IDM was made up :)

On 30/01/2018 at 10:13 PM, Y B said:

Phoebe Bridgers ‎– Stranger In The Alps

Really like listening to this melancholy and beautifully sung album by a young new artist, more so each repeated listening. Definitely one of the best from 2017 for me.

Unfortunately, she is on Dead Oceans. I have stopped buying Dead Oceans' vinyl releases due to their subpar sq. Does anyone here own the black vinyl release of this album? Could you please comment on the sq?

a3164574832_16.jpg

56 minutes ago, ABG said:

I don't have it on vinyl, but I've listened to the ltd edition lavender pressing and it's noisy as hell.  There's also a black vinyl version, but I haven't heard any reports on that.  If you manage to find out, please let me know.  This is definitely on my must buy on vinyl list.  @Hensa  @PKay @scuzzii this is one that'll be very much to your tastes I reckon.

Max / Andrew

All you had to do was ask :P 

Once you go black, you never go back!!

I have been enjoying Phoebe for a few months now.  I actually hear a little early Jewel and Aimee Mann in her music.  the goods news is the black vinyl IS quiet.  Well worth getting.:thumb:

25166464427_b5b88c4184_b.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ABG said:

Perhaps a group purchase. I want to get a good version of I Robot and eye in the sky. 

11 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Contract vine grafting. I'm in a large nursery. Those that are young enough (which I'm not) and doing change overs (from one grape variety to another) in vineyards, are pulling in $1300-$1500 per day. I get to listen to tunes all day, although the heat burns you out eventually. We've just had 2 weeks straight of temps from 38c-45c. More on the way next week. :(

Hopefully you are bench grafting? I used to tie/patch for the contract grafters 'budding' field grown roses in central NSW & the Salisbury Plains in Adelaide some 30 years ago. So I feel your pain re: summer temperatures!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Hopefully you are bench grafting? I used to tie/patch for the contract grafters 'budding' field grown roses in central NSW & the Salisbury Plains in Adelaide some 30 years ago. So I feel your pain re: summer temperatures!

Only field grafting for me,jazzdog. Back in my younger days (23 years ago) I was doing 80-85 per hour. I'm a bit slower now though I do speed up marginally if the right track's playing. Brand X or something similar. :)

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble
  • Like 1

Gwen Stefani - Love.Angel.Music.Baby.  Great memories of this album with my then 6 and 3 dancing around the room spelling out B A N A N A on Hollaback Girls.  One of those few albums that worked with a set of super producers like Nellee Hooper, Dre, Dallas Austin, Andre 3000 to name a few.

40048595911_c56e8fa693_b.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

Johnny Hates Jazz-Turn Back The Clock. One of the best pop albums you'll come across. Tape bought during a stopover in Singapore in 1990 the same time as my first decent direct drive Walkman. Tape still sounds great. Walkman alas got dropped in a slurry pit on the farm a year or so later and never was the same after that....

5a7508688dfe0_JohnnyHatesJazz.jpg.ad9388fbb591b9d1eef5ebb502f8b4c1.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PKay said:

Perhaps a group purchase. I want to get a good version of I Robot and eye in the sky. 

Hard to beat the Speakers Corner pressing of Eye In the Sky.

Neil Young’s Archives

A Song I’ve never heard

War Song 

And Journey Through The Past a song I haven’t heard for decades

Sure loved this music then but had no idea how much I would still love it 40 years on

8FC0E128-41BB-4550-83FF-3B8C2DB42770.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 4