Currently Spinning

...Steak for the sun, Wine for the woman who made the rain come... Ah, Yes, take a walk on the wild side. We'll share de shelta, of ma single room (says your irate and almost deaf neighbours). Black gold.

Strange... I have Tim Buckly's "Greetings from LA". Perhaps Jeff is his illiterate brother? Even stranger is the mix I have gone through today. Earlier, The Don Burrows Quartet: "Just the Beginning". Then I drifted into Fairport Convention "Live" (at the Sydney Opera House). This always seems to be followed by Steeleye Span's "Commoner's Crown". Don't know why, but has done for years. Then one of my chillblains asked for Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" and Paul Simon's "Greatest Hits". Eclectic taste, to say the least! But, as the ad goes... It's all good!"

el_hefty? have you heard of the word "subtle"? Cat Stevens is quite listenable at NAF levels (ie Neighbour Approval Factor). I have this eerie feeling that you don't, but if so, be gentle with me? NAF said.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found? The same old fears.

I Wish you were here.

Might have to go grab the guitar from the cupboard and add my own touch to PF :)

• Like 1

"Strange... I have Tim Buckly's "Greetings from LA". Perhaps Jeff is his illiterate brother?"

You are kidding right? Jeff was Tim's son, but only a shitload more talented than his old man.

A sad day when he left this world, having released only the 1 studio album.

• Like 1

Originally posted by bosereworked

el_hefty? have you heard of the word \"subtle\"? Cat Stevens is quite listenable at NAF levels (ie Neighbour Approval Factor). I have this eerie feeling that you don't, but if so, be gentle with me? NAF said.

Ahh yes but the neighbours are way too close and i just got my favourite amp out of the garage dusted it off and played a few tunes, yeah it just seemed to get louder, but my hearing doesnt pick up subtle notes until a 'NAF' db level is part of history :grin:

wedding cake island.... about 10 times :wink:

wedding cake island is the only midnight oil song that is good!! and theres no singing!! haha im only 18 and i have grown up with dad listening 2 DIRE STRAITS which alot of my mates go who r they!!! ARGH elton john, bee gees, and plenty more im sure but those are classics, atm i have just found a remix of money 4 nothing, its remixed in with another dance song the song titile is ' flashing 4 money' by deepdish and its awsome, i have a decent system with some JBLs and some floorstanders i made last yr 4 a yr 12 major work and man it sounds awsome and the NAF levles well lets just say the r getting 2 no the lyrics hahaha

CAM...

• Like 1

Oh Dear, sounds like I am advancing the cause for Anarchy. My eldest once brought home a song on CD called "F**K the POLICE". I thought they were having a go at Sting but no, they were espousing Anarchy. The CD became a coffee coaster (AH, the power of parenthood!). We should always be respectful of our neighbours. Music should be VERY loud +/- 3db and not VERY VERY loud. Shame on you, shame...

Hey, soundfan... have to admit that you got me. Didn't twig that the Buckleys might be related. Certainly didn't know that Jeff is gone. Very sad. So many go. It changes the way I appreciate their music. John Lennon is a prime example: Imagine all the people... who died and how this affected us..."

Still, I don't like getting morbid. Doesn't fit my persona. (I could be female, but my mother would disown me. She accepts that I am probably a donkey. Sigh.). Don't laugh until you read some of the other posts on this forum. What a scream!

"To whom it may concern"... How can you have any puddin' if you don't eat your meat?! You can't have your pudding if you don't eat your meat (helicopters fly overhead just to reinforce the point.) 'The Wall' is a superb album, whether on black disc or small silver (CD). Remember, I do own a CD player and I do use it! BUT!

Which cam first... the chicken or the egg? If 'The Wall' is the pudding, what is the meat? Why, it must be DSOTM! And all that came before it. I enjoy this particular thread because I can hear the music of your opinions. There is passion is what we we do and this thread reflects that passion. Could anyone ask for more??? Well, actually...

I'm all alone. The only other person posting regularly, apart from Marc (who HAS to say something) is some weird dude who laughingly calls himself "bosereworked". I may as well talk to myself (and Marc & soundfan). I'm almost all alone...

[being Sanguine, and a small irritating beast of burden...Recovering very quickly...] Hey! I just listened to the Eagles: "Hell Freezes Over" and especially "Hotel California". Wow! Can we do that again??!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I've just re-discovered my old "Andreas Vollenweider - White Winds" cd from 1984. I guess this is what you call 'world music' before the term was even invented..........very 'dead can danc'ish', and awesomely recorded. Not sure if it's still available (CBS label -CDCBS26195).

Mainly uses a pedal harp wired electrically, cheng, violincello, various wind instruments, drums and with lots of sound effects and some choral background and solo's by Elena Ledda.

Great stuff, and worth a listen if you can find it.

• Like 2

aj my man, we are not accustomed to your sophisticated city monkey ways (Ren & Stimpy: the cartoon all kids my age wish they could've seen when they were kids). But you are right to resurrect this thread with a CD. After all, it began with "what CD are you spinning right now?" If I turn vinyl into CD, does it count?

I have been working very hard to convert certain records to digital for a dear friend of mine, who is dying of cancer. Just finished "Heartbreak Hotel" by Francis Lai. I have already done "Bilitus" for this friend, who has access only to a CD player in the Hospice. What a privelege, to be able to take a friend back to his best-loved music with simple clicks of a mouse! Vinyl to digital... what a challenge!

I have provided him with "10cc: The Original Soundtrack". He loves 'One night in Paris' and 'I'm not in love' and 'The film of my life'. Music can be so powerful...

• Like 1

Last months Sound On Sound goes into the recording of the 10cc classic "I'm Not In Love" rather ironic.

Next month is supertramp"breakfeast In America" album..oooohhhh,take a look at my girlfriend....

http://www.soundonsound.com/index.php?url=...39adfa9697dc512

It's a PRO AUDIO mag so dont be bothered if it's not your bag,GREAT ARCHIVES though,evrey mag is put up complete after 5 months[news stand time] on their web page and costs you nothing to acssess.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE:I knew one of the DJ's at (Sydney's) 2SM and he played the whole album in his graveyard shift.

Your not talking about Ian Grace by chance are you.

Ever go to the "Bondi Lifesaver" or "Stagedoor Taven" how about "The Civic" or "Sydney cove Tavern".."Maroubra Seals"....or when you just couldn't give a rat's "selina's at coogee.

I could go on,same places same vintage,same bands....how are your ears?

Trying to remember... I haven't lived in Sydney since about 1976. Maroubra Seals is familiar. Bondi Lifesavers as well. Spent more time at Coogee Lifesavers. Went to Randwick Boy's High. Lived in Kensington. Surfed at Maroubra. Hung out with "sheilas" at Coogee.

Not sure about Ian Grace. It's one of those names that could be familiar. I've known a few Ian's since then and I'm not even sure that I knew his last name. How memories fade...

Ian Grace was "the" DJ at 2SM at the time,which was the station till JJ started out.

He is now the manager of 2UE.

Then you had Mack Cocker "the great interview he did with Joe Cocker intitled "I'm a Cockertoo" and Doug Mulery...early 70's stuff....Captain Goodvibes.....Prehaps?

"What's on In woollongong" was the JJ start of Norman Gunston....we ALL know where that ended up...a classic of OZ comedy. :grin:

Still too risky to say "Yes" or "No". The name could only too easily ring a bell. I still run a Grace tonearm and Grace Ruby cartridge. And I don't recall JJ, which means the timing is a problem. I do remember a Doug Mulray (?spelling) Gang song "Jump in my car" and I actually met Joe Cocker (Hordern Pavilion concert, circa 197?3 or 4). Trouble is, Sydney is a fading memory. Can't even remember the names of my old schoolmates, having not seen most in 30 years. However, I DO remember The Basement from the early '90's. A school chum tickled the ivories there quite a bit. COuldn't tell which city building it sits under, however. There again, I couldn't find my way across the Bridge in the old fashioned way. Kept finding toll booths, but no way home!

There are things about the 2SM DJ I remember, but they perhaps shouldn't be included in this forum (personal). He was a great guy, however, and very daring. He was also at least 10 years older than me. Does this help?

The original Basement was demolished and a new Basement built,it doesn't have the multilevel viewing of the old but it does have it's own broadband internet broadcasting facility,which as far as I know is one of the very few in OZ.

• 3 months later...

Santa brought me Bernard Fannings new solo album and in a word its bordering on brilliance in parts. Not hard to see where the main creative drive comes from in Powderfinger.

So what CD's did Santa bring everyone else?

• 3 months later...

Just received James Blunt Back to Bedlam on LP from the states and it sounds very nice except for the skip straight out of the packet on 'wise men'.... hmm email to distributor i think

P.S wheres my smilies :P