Currently Spinning

Rock n roll music for Sunday

Ian Hunter one time lead singer in the great British band Mott The Hoople

Made a series of really good solo albums in the late 70's early 80's

I saw him play in America in about 1980 with Mick Ronson on guitar

I think David Bowie wrote All The Young Dudes for Mott The Hoople which they had a hit single with

post-141610-0-35719200-1451175294_thumb.

• Like 1

The Mekons

File under one of the greatest bands that no one has ever heard of

Anarchic British rock n roll from the Clash days that morphed into their very own rockin take on country music

One of my many favourite bands that I missed until a few years ago

post-141610-0-12977400-1451175598_thumb.

• Like 2

John George and Paul all made 1 great record after the Beatles

John's first one a "primal scream" so to speak

George's All Things Must Past and this one by Paul

And this song Let Me Roll It is another example of how great a rock n roll singer he was

Or still is

post-141610-0-05536300-1451176837_thumb.

• Like 5

ac8f4b01ba53a91836e4f1275a5a59b9.jpg

I'm a hardcore Zappa fanatic. My Dad got me into it as a kid. I started collecting Zappa LPs in my teens. I've now got all of the albums from the 60s and the 70s on LP. There are about 10LPs from the 80s that I don't own, yet. I'm closing in on owning them all. There's over 70 official LPs.

This is a promo only copy of the 1st US Pressing of Bongo Fury from 1975.

Killer. [emoji450][emoji41]

Cheers,

Leigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Jazz Jamaica Allstars

Bought this record from Bryan(guru) a couple of months ago. The featured vocalist is Juliet Roberts who I remember sung with one of my favourite bands in the '80's, Working Week. (They also featured other singers like Tracey Thorne and Working Week's Simon Booth actually played on the first Everything But The Girl album).

So I've been on a bit of a musical retro journey this morning as Working Week members Simon Booth & Larry Stabbins before that were in a short lived but influential band 'Weekend' so had to spin that record as well.

Back to the present now with Kiasmos.

post-124143-0-59322900-1451179940_thumb.

post-124143-0-71394300-1451179955_thumb.

post-124143-0-41215800-1451179967_thumb.

post-124143-0-54293600-1451179980_thumb.

Edited by klackto
  • Like 1

TISM - Great Truckin Songs Of The Renaissance

R-6654358-1423950136-4513.jpeg.jpg

Perhaps not the most musically accomplished album in my collection, but potentially the wittiest.  This is just as sharp and incisive as it was the day it was released.  One of the most fun bands I've ever seen live too - they really knew how to put on a show.  Wish I had this on vinyl, but looking at the prices on Discogs, I'll happily settle for my CD.  

• Like 7

BTW, @@Newman, that was a joke.

Harf Heim is based on Heima live performances from their tour a few years ago.

Its a must have for any Sigur Ros fan, on whatever choice floats your boat, CD or vinyl.

Edited by Citroen
  • Like 1

I must have heard this record hundreds of times when I bought it in that other lifetime when I was young and thin

But completely missed this song

Until a few years ago when I started playing CCR again

I guess it is a civil rights type song

But with really great guitar

post-141610-0-95034100-1451184153_thumb.

• Like 1

The mighty Nils Lofgren with one of his best songs off his best album

About no lesser a person than Keith Richards begging him not to die

Written at the time when Keith was on the most likely rock star to go

But of course he took the advice and still rock and rolls on

Nils Lofgren auditioned for the Stones after Mick Taylor left but they wanted to keep it British and Ronnie Wood was a perfect mix work Keith

post-141610-0-87967600-1451185272_thumb.

• Like 3

I must have heard this record hundreds of times when I bought it in that other lifetime when I was young and thin

But completely missed this song

Until a few years ago when I started playing CCR again

I guess it is a civil rights type song

But with really great guitar

re: Effigy

ya made me play it! Strangely I don't have a lot of CCR, even though my first ever sole-artist album was Cosmos Factory as a gift from my elder sister for my 13th or 14th b'day, and I loved it to death.

But I do have the Ultimate Collection* 1998 CDpost-136643-0-12800500-1451187643_thumb.

with the Limited Edition Bonus Disc (strangely, even though the bonus disc is on one of those acrylic swivel-out panels, there is absolutely no mention of it on my copy's printed inserts. Its only mention is on a sticker on the jewel box, which adds that it has "full length versions of 6 classic songs". There is no sign of a track listing for the bonus disc; one has to play it and identify them. Even the allmusic listing for this album doesn't list them). Anyway. Effigy is track 5 of the 6, and I love the way that it flows into a 13-minute live rendition of Keep on Chooglin'. Which is playing as I type. IMO the guy mastering the bonus disc did a really good job and avoided all the "default pop-rock settings" on his pro desk.

* I guess you are a popular artist when you release 9 original albums and (so far) your label releases 100 compilation albums in your memory. (Source: allmusic.com)

• Like 3

re: Effigy

ya made me play it! Strangely I don't have a lot of CCR, even though my first ever sole-artist album was Cosmos Factory as a gift from my elder sister for my 13th or 14th b'day, and I loved it to death.

But I do have the Ultimate Collection* 1998 CDattachicon.gifMI0002105380.jpg

with the Limited Edition Bonus Disc (strangely, even though the bonus disc is on one of those acrylic swivel-out panels, there is absolutely no mention of it on my copy's printed inserts. Its only mention is on a sticker on the jewel box, which adds that it has "full length versions of 6 classic songs". There is no sign of a track listing for the bonus disc; one has to play it and identify them. Even the allmusic listing for this album doesn't list them). Anyway. Effigy is track 5 of the 6, and I love the way that it flows into a 13-minute live rendition of Keep on Chooglin'. Which is playing as I type. IMO the guy mastering the bonus disc did a really good job and avoided all the "default pop-rock settings" on his pro desk.

* I guess you are a popular artist when you release 9 original albums and (so far) your label releases 100 compilation albums in your memory. (Source: allmusic.com)

I have that cd

No bonus disc though

It was the only one of their CDs that I owned

I was listening to it a few years ago and it sounded so good I went and bought all the CDs

You are lucky to have the bonus disc

Chooglin is not my favorite name for a song but it sort of describes the sound on that song perfectly from Bayou Country

• Like 1

Jean-Michel Jarre - Eqiuinox

equinoxe.jpg

I was flicking through my digital library and thought "yeah, that'll hit the spot."  And it has.  Synth heaven.  I haven't listened to this for over 20 years at a guess and am now wondering why.

• Like 5

Don't listen to this one very often but I can't not like the man

Peter Gabriel LP

post-148497-0-37537500-1451211253.jpg

A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step LP

post-148497-0-46559500-1451211438_thumb.

And finally the best recorded LP I have. Stunning album. Another I don't listen to often but whoa it's bad arse when I do.

Hugh Masekela - Hope LP 45 RPM

post-148497-0-90560600-1451211622.jpg

• Like 5

Jean-Michel Jarre - Eqiuinox

equinoxe.jpg

I was flicking through my digital library and thought "yeah, that'll hit the spot."  And it has.  Synth heaven.  I haven't listened to this for over 20 years at a guess and am now wondering why.

I used to enjoy getting so stoned to this.... and listening to it these days can't bring half the flavour back that I enjoyed in my early 20's.

But, still a great album, straight or not.   :thumb:

• Like 2

Harriet - Winter Stories (Maybe This Christmas)

Ordered the CD from Harriet's website http://www.harrietsmusic.com/ and got it just in time for Christmas.

https://soundcloud.com/harrietsmusic/harriet-maybe-this-christmas-album-preview

She has a refreshing sounding voice.

You can check out more of her music from Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyRgi4QVN5tPAzcSTP3ytA

post-142639-0-41411500-1451218682_thumb.

TISM - Great Truckin Songs Of The Renaissance

R-6654358-1423950136-4513.jpeg.jpg

Perhaps not the most musically accomplished album in my collection, but potentially the wittiest.  This is just as sharp and incisive as it was the day it was released.  One of the most fun bands I've ever seen live too - they really knew how to put on a show.  Wish I had this on vinyl, but looking at the prices on Discogs, I'll happily settle for my CD.  

'tis piss funny in places, this is the only TISM I have on vinyl. Wish I had bought more at the time.

• Like 2