Currently Spinning

I had half an hour to fill a couple of days ago and picking these two out from a bargain bin has led to me thinking about the difference between mining and advancing a tradition as compared to mere reproduction. I knew nothing about either artist.

The Ferguson astonished me. This is a solid album of well-crafted songs in the Motown traditon without the excesses of modern R & B production. If you were excited by Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Joss Stone's debut or the promise of most of Elle King's first album then you'd understand my pleasure at finding this. Unlike the other songstresses, Ferguson's song quality is sustained over an entire album.  It turns out that she came second in the UK TV talent show X Factor in 2010. I can't watch those shows because most of the singers suffer from the inability to hold a note, instead they go all over the place, I know it's a legitimate vocal technique and we pause here for wikipedia's entry on Whitney Houston's musical contribution, but suffice to say that Rebecca Ferguson has the smarts to not overcook in the melisma department.  And she has a fine voice and can really sing.

Lauren Everitt from BBC News Magazine commented on melisma used in Houston's recording and its influence. "An early 'I' in Whitney Houston's 'I Will Always Love You' takes nearly six seconds to sing. In those seconds the former gospel singer-turned-pop star packs a series of different notes into the single syllable", stated Everitt. "The technique is repeated throughout the song, most pronouncedly on every 'I' and 'you'. The vocal technique is called melisma, and it has inspired a host of imitators. Other artists may have used it before Houston, but it was her rendition of Dolly Parton's love song that pushed the technique into the mainstream in the 90s. [...] But perhaps what Houston nailed best was moderation." Everitt said that "n a climate of reality shows ripe with 'oversinging,' it's easy to appreciate Houston's ability to save melisma for just the right moment.

The Ikon is an album-length work from early in their career.  It sounds like the band has only heard one album in their lives, Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures.  The production sounds like Martin Hannett's work.  The drummer runs identical patterns. The guitarist has that Joy Division sound, in fact this band sounds like they could go on the road as a Joy Division trubute band and leave the fans very satisfied. But on their own material the vocalist's lyrical concerns are dull, and the word choice and vocal phrasing is poor (especially at the end of lines). Basically the lyrics and vocals let them down, even though the vocalist has a voice that sounds like a cross between Nick Cave, Billy Idol and Ian Curtis. The other problem is that this album comes from 1995 and Unknown Pleasures dates from 1979.  

What's the difference between the two albums in relation to their genres?  The Ikon is slavish adherence and derivative, whereas at this late stage in her chosen genre's development, at a time when you would think it has been completely mined out, the production and approach of Ferguson still sounds fresh.  Better to add something to the legacy of your predecessors as compared to diminishing it.

MI0003257334.jpgIKON_Echoes_of_Silence.jpg

83985e316ae4126884f32bcf67006cfb.jpg

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure - 1972/1984 Reissue.

I love the sound of this reissue. The Bogus Man has been spun whenever one of my mates has dropped by recently. I know this album back to front ( My Mum is a huge RM fan ) for me, it never gets old.

Cheers,

Leigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ferchersan
  • Like 5

Bjork: Vulnicura Strings.

I went looking for a vinyl version of this at JB's 20% off sale today, but they didn't have it in stock.

Not to worry, I purchased the CD instead, and it's a great listen. The Vulnicura album released earlier in the year was excellent, but think I prefer this acoustic version more with just her voice and strings.

post-103759-0-50724700-1451093743_thumb.

• Like 2

Bjork: Vulnicura Strings.

I went looking for a vinyl version of this at JB's 20% off sale today, but they didn't have it in stock.

Not to worry, I purchased the CD instead, and it's a great listen. The Vulnicura album released earlier in the year was excellent, but think I prefer this acoustic version more with just her voice and strings.

Hi Chris,

I went to three JBHIFI stores this morning and came away empty handed.

They had stock listed on line that wasn't available in store. It looked like they hadn't restocked the shelves after the pre Christmas rush. I was keen to grab the Destroyer album and the last Brian Jonestown Massacre Mini Album Thingy Wingy. No luck.

The BJM mini album was also sold out when I saw them live last month. It's kinda cool to see how many people are asking for vinyl at the merch stand at gigs now (except when I miss out!). I've noticed a big increase over the last 12 months.

Cheers,

Leigh

Edited by ferchersan
  • Like 2

Hi Chris,

I went to three JBHIFI stores this morning and came away empty handed.

They had stock listed on line that wasn't available in store. It looked like they hadn't restocked the shelves after the pre Christmas rush. I was keen to grab the Destroyer album and the last Brian Jonestown Massacre Mini Album Thingy Wingy. No luck.

The BJM mini album was also sold out when I saw them live last month. It's kinda cool to see how many people are asking for vinyl at the merch stand at gigs now (except when I miss out!). I've noticed a big increase over the last 12 months.

Cheers,

Leigh

Thanks Leigh. I wasn't as dedicated as you, only visited the one JB Hi Fi store, at Westfield Chermside on the northside of Brissy.. They seem to be stocking more and more vinyl these days, 'tis a great sign. I half expected them not to have it (Bjork album) on vinyl anyway. I also ended up buying the UK copy of Boxer by The National, the yellow vinyl version. It indeed is an excellent pressing, and leaves the black US version for dead.  :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up re the Brian Jonestown Massacre "Thingy Wingy" mini album too. Will put it on my list.  :)

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 3

b954c0ca89e70fdff3909afce36f04a3.jpg

Been a good afternoon spinning tunes with the bro in law. He introduced me to CW Stoneking who tripped me out, still not sure what to make of that!

Covered some common ground with radiohead and some Beatles before he rolled out.

Having a little dance with the tin lids now. JK and his team just seem

To get the feet moving :)

• Like 2