Currently Spinning

Neville Brothers: Yellow Moon

One of the finest gigs I've attended over the years was seeing The Neville Brothers, not long after they released this magic album.

Downright funky with one of the best rhythm sections in the business.

LP

MI0001796468.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 6

Neville Brothers: Yellow Moon

One of the finest gigs I've attended over the years was seeing The Neville Brothers, not long after they released this magic album.

Downright funky with one of the best rhythm sections in the business.

LP

MI0001796468.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I saw them at the State Theatre at that time. Aaron came out in a wheelchair and sang Rainy Night In Georgia. Spine tingling! Brought tears to this hard man's eyes.

• Like 2

I saw them at the State Theatre at that time. Aaron came out in a wheelchair and sang Rainy Night In Georgia. Spine tingling! Brought tears to this hard man's eyes.

Yeah, he was having back problems IIRC, but boy, Festival Hall was going off. :)

• Like 2

What's it like @@broom ? I have seen Kirin play many times, usually in the Dreamlanders but a couple of times in his own band. Mesmerising performer on the guitar.

Confusing, erratic, unpredictable & pretty impressive in places just like you expect him to be... 

• Like 2

Chris Bell. I Am The Cosmos

b7b97e6c4a8213a22d4b250dd02db10f.jpg

I came to Chris Bell in reverse. I loved the covers that This Mortal Coil did of You and Your Sister and I Am The Cosmos on their album Blood. So I went searching for his work, found this album and bought it many moons ago on CD, and then of course the joined the dots re Big Star

I bought the 4 Men With Beards on vinyl a few years back. It's patchy as some songs just sound so much better than others, SQ wise. Was reading tonight the latest hi-fi news and they reviewed a new Rhino 2 lp set with a bonus lp of alternate versions. Might be tempted to check it out.

That's a long story when all I should have said is that the guy is a genius and you should check out his music.

• Like 3

Stones_12x5_zps5e5d7vyl.jpg

Rolling Stones - 12x5 (1964 - CD)

I got my pre amp back from repair this afternoon. Whatever the previous problem was manifested as a balance err imbalance, so I grabbed something mono to check it out. Seems straight so far, so fingers crossed.

And gee I love early Stones. Sure Jagger is still finding his feet as a singer/front man and they are slow to come up with original material. But it doesn't matter. They have great taste in covers and their playing is just right. "2120 South Michigan Avenue" is especially good.