Currently Spinning

These days, if going to listen critically to hifi gear, I tend to use just this one CD:- "Music for the Open Road".

Very well recorded, good varied mix of tracks, excellent for guitar, piano, male & female vocals.

My personal favourite is Track 7 "Old men and the Sea". Very easy-going rolling rhythm and lovely vocals. Sounds deceptively simple & unsophisticated but has some delightful shades / delicacies, is very nicely constructed and arranged.

But I am old......

Blurb from the ABC Shop:-

The music on this CD reflects the music mix on Classic Drive – ABC Classic FM’s 4-7pm weekday program.

This album is something of a journey through time and space itself. We set off with a contemporary take on 17th-century England with Slava Grigoryan’s Fantasy on a Theme by William Lawes, then visit Bach with Diana Doherty’s haunting oboe before heading towards present-day northern Australian waters and the rolling rhythm of Seaman Dan’s Old Men and the Sea – via a Shostakovich Prelude and Fugue and Peter Sculthorpe’s Darwin Calypso. On our way back to Bach, the route takes in Simon Tedeschi’s brilliant rendition of Alligator Crawl, Nicola Watson’s whimsical and catchy song Windmills, flamenco with Arrebato, and Genevieve Lacey's virtuoso dash through a Strauss Polka. There are some spots to slow down and take in a little peace and quiet along the way as well, with Mendelssohn's Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage and Michael Atherton's Shall We Dream.

This is music ‘to go’ – drive away music to take you anywhere.

Track Listing:

1 GRIGORYAN Fantasy on a Theme by William Lawes 

2 JS BACH Oboe Concerto in D minor (Second movement) 

3 MONTEVERDI Chiome d'oro (Tresses of gold)

4 SHOSTAKOVICH Prelude and Fugue in A major

5 MENDELSSOHN Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage (excerpt) 

6 SCULTHORPE Darwin Calypso 

7 DAN / NEUENFELDT / PEARSON Old Men and the Sea 

8 McGANN Salaam

9 WALLER Alligator Crawl 

10 WATSON Windmills 

11 ALFONZETTI Verdades (Truths) 

12 THOMAS Sweet Tooth 

13 ATHERTON Shall We Dream

14 HOWARD / BRUNEEL Spir

15-16 TRAD / STIRZAKER Waltzing Matilda – Historical views for Clarinet Quartet (excerpts) 

17 J STRAUSS II Tritsch-Tratsch-Polka

18 CROFT Ground

19 JS BACH Wir eilen mit schwachen, doch emsigen Schritten (We hasten with faint but eager steps)

post-105627-0-17065000-1426379461_thumb.

As a bit of a Doors tragic, I have finally purchased a copy of Infinite (at the recommendation of a few members).  So far I've only listened to LA Woman and currently have Morrison Hotel spinning.  These are simply stunning pressings!  The interplay between Ray Manzarek and Robbie Krieger has never been more apparent and alive.  I've listened to LA Woman a thousand times and today I feel like I've heard it for the first time.  Very happy I bought it and many thanks to all for the recommendation.

infinite-box-set-45-rpm-02102012-.jpg

• Like 5

Terry Riley "In C" LP.... been after an original for quite a while. Good things come to those blah, blah  :party

51GIKigt4xL._SY300_.jpg

This Kind Of Punishment "Beard of Bees" LP

R-1432997-1229881693.jpeg.jpg

Songs: Ohia "Didn't It Rain" LP ....an original pressing freeby from someone who bought a reissue! Life is good!

didnt-it-rain.jpg

Edited by deadc
  • Like 3

Nice selction there @@deadc

I spun Didn't It Rain earlier today.

Have you heard the Africa Express version of Terry Riley's In C? It was released on LP last month. I preordered it with 5 different retailers, and still missed out on getting a copy. The first pressing is now sold out. D'oh!

Cheers,

LF :)

• Like 1

This album now completes the Nick Cave vinyl reissues that I wanted. I picked up five of the reissued albums over the last few months, and purchased all UK versions.

But maybe I might get Let Love In at some point.  :P

All sound superb, and this one is no exception.

MI0001941363.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 4

Nice selction there @@deadc

I spun Didn't It Rain earlier today.

Have you heard the Africa Express version of Terry Riley's In C? It was released on LP last month. I preordered it with 5 different retailers, and still missed out on getting a copy. The first pressing is now sold out. D'oh!

Cheers,

Hi Leigh

Still available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terry-Rileys-C-Mali-VINYL/dp/B00Q38002G/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1426487361&sr=1-3&keywords=terry+riley

Thanks Shane.

They cancelled my back order last week.

According to the Africa Express website the LP is sold out.

I might try discogs now... :thumb:

Cheers,

Edit: Only one for sale. It's in Germany $55+ shipping. Hmmm...

Edited by ferchersan
  • Like 2

To Top