Currently Spinning

Noticed how good it was sounding (CD) just discovered its a West German printing, I bought in the 80's new, how come standards have slipped in the new age?

My CD copy of Rattlesnakes in the day sounded superb, the only CD back then that sounded better than my vinyl.  West German as well.

Anyway, not sure whether playing Coldplay's first lp Parachutes has emphasized how good their 1st album is or how Sting they have become.   both, me thinks

R-369337-1314899458.jpeg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2

Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Vinyl

One of their great albums, I watched the brilliant dvd doco "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" earlier, and just had to play this.

When Wilco handed over their album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to Reprise in June 2001, acting label boss David Kahne—best known for producing Sugar Ray albums—reportedly thought it was “so bad it would kill Wilco’s career.†The band refused to make changes, so Reprise handed them their walking papers—and the masters to the album. A few months later, Wilco signed with Nonesuch, which, like Reprise, was a subsidiary of AOL Time Warner, meaning that after shelling out roughly $300,000 to make YHF in the first place, the corporation was now paying for it again. The record remains Wilco’s best seller to date.

And as much as I love Wilco, the band haven't been as good since they let Jay Bennett go. RIP.

MI0002792943.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

• Like 1

Felt like a bit of NIN, but couldn't decide on what to play, out of kindness to the neighbours, Year Zero got the gig due to lack of swearing.  The Downward Spiral will get played next time however.

Yearzero_cover323.jpg

Some Ministry up next to see how it goes with the new set up.  It's still lacking bass, but is clear at least.

Ministry-Psalm69.jpg

And then for something completely different, some Miles Davis.  Wish I'd played ******* Brew, but it's been a while since I've heard this one.

miles-davis-kind-of-blue1.jpg

After playing SC3 last night, I felt like some more, however, also John Zorn, so time for Xaphan then.

sc3_xaphan.jpg

Then a bit of Laura to end the week.  Always funny listening to this one, as I seemed to go through a long period of time when I only listened to the (Re)capitulate live album.

a2681782765_2.jpg

• Like 5

CCR - Cosmo's Factory AP vinyl repress

Best sounding - pity about the marks inside the sealed copy I bought... bloody vinyl.

ccrcosmosvinylspin.jpg

Gotta admit I'm getting a bit sick of buying new sealed vinyl and it comes out of the cover looking like the fairies had a party on it, smudges, marks, the odd line that looks like a scratch and just gives you one of those lovely loud 'pops' in a quiet section...not happy Jan.

• Like 5

been playing the new total control - 'typical system'

nice album - mix of their electronic and spunky stuff.

not as good as their first album though.

also, been listening to nadja - 'excision'.

awesome, awesome, awesome drone work.

aidan baker has to be one of my favourite artists of all time.

and the new sunn 0/ulver - 'terrestrials', ain't half bad either

(shane) watching angel dark.....darkness!  :party

Edited by analog brother
  • Like 4

Now this is for record lovers

I had about 1000 records before I bought a CD player

And this one is the best packaging of any record I ever saw.A triple album

It's only rival was Neil Young's Decade from memory a triple album in thick cardboard that like the above pulled apart with great pictures and handwritten notes by Neil about each track

Will the Circle be Unbroken also pulls apart and is illustrated with beautiful colour photos

Lots of detail about who plays what track by track

Truly great players probably the best in America at that time in country music

It is also famous because it was I think the first collaboration between the the short haired whiskey drinking republican voters and the young long haired pot smoking country music loving radicals who idolised the singing and playing skills of the players who were involved in the creation of country music

It probably helps if you like country music

And who doesn't

post-141610-0-54053900-1404106291_thumb.

• Like 2

Guest Willow

While the Sex Pistols & The Clash were rippin' it into the establishment through the mid-late 70's a little bloke was painting a humorous picture of the punk pub existence in England at the time. 

0000375678_500.jpg

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeYgFA_3CVnk&ei=jkKxU8sgjMmTBbDBgXA&usg=AFQjCNETb247JkhhBVuFGO8PBn9PoRODag&sig2=hOkIsOd5p1rKbM2nh6HMqA&bvm=bv.69837884,d.dGI

Paul Rogers-The Royal Sessions

On vinyl

Some really nice versions and playing of soul/blues standards by the former Bad Company and Free singer

Excellent recording quality out of Royal Studios in Memphis.