What is causing this 'tapping' sound?

That is static and dust on the record surface 

Because it’s a silent groove between tracks the stylus picks it up as noise caused by the physical spinning on the record

A cleaner record and antistatic treatment can minimise or remove most noise

In grooves that have a musical signal the noise is over shadowed by the music 

I agree with @12ax7b - a "knocking" noise. If it is happening on every record, then the noise is being generated by the turntable. I don't recall a mention of what brand/model of turntable it is?

I suspect it is a Direct Drive model, and this could be some motor noise or mechanical vibration which is being transferred to the cartridge/stylus via the platter.

Can you spin the platter without playing the record, and is there any knocking coming through the amp?

I can hear a tapping sound every revolution (hard to tell but it seems to be one or two) below the surface noise.

Something mechanical catching?

Have heard of a case where a sticky label had perished and dangled down hitting something on the way each revolution. But yours sounds more solid.

• Like 1

I can only distinguish two clicks, between the tracks. I would have said a scratch, or bit of crap stuck to the disc, except the click isn't in the same place on the disc. The first click is at the 8 o'clock mark, and the second is at the 10 o'clock mark on the next revolution.

Edited by bob_m_54

2 hours ago, punkindrublic said:

the turntable is a project RPM 3 carbon, I just emailed project so maybe they can help, i've been putting up with it for a long time now but finally trying to fix it

Good luck - Still under warranty? Still have the box?

My humble Logitech PC speakers are actually pretty good with bass, so I can hear the knock (as opposed to the obvious scratch noises).....yes, it sounds like each revolution. At first, I thought pressing flaw but you say it's during every LP played. Some mechanical issue with the TT then, faulty bearing perhaps?

Only option is to take it to an audio technician for an assessment if you aren't willing to disassemble and reassemble it yourself.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Citroen said:

I can hear a tapping sound every revolution (hard to tell but it seems to be one or two) below the surface noise.

Something mechanical catching?

Have heard of a case where a sticky label had perished and dangled down hitting something on the way each revolution. But yours sounds more solid.

Firstly the noise of the record almost overwhelms everything else, but there is a quieter thump sound.  Spindle issue or motor slipping turning the belt, cant say?  But sounds like something to do with turntable.

Can you hear any noise just letting turntable spin and no record?

1 hour ago, Demondes said:

Firstly the noise of the record almost overwhelms everything else, but there is a quieter thump sound.  Spindle issue or motor slipping turning the belt, cant say?  But sounds like something to do with turntable.

Can you hear any noise just letting turntable spin and no record?

lol its just a random old leonard cohen.

the knock only occurs if the needle is in a groove.

il wait for project audio to get back to me, should have emailed them first.

thanks for the help

4 hours ago, punkindrublic said:

lol its just a random old leonard cohen.

the knock only occurs if the needle is in a groove.

il wait for project audio to get back to me, should have emailed them first.

thanks for the help

I suspect that you can only hear the knock when the needle is in the groove because its being amplified.

The 'di-duh" noise appears to be every revolution but not quite at the same place.

Is the platter level when it rotates? Or is there a slight wobble?

So, I listened again with the volume up.

Now I hear rumble, a low frequency boomp-boomp sound.

Is the turntable newly purchased and set up?

- Where the transport screws and packing materials removed (if fitted)?

- Is the suspension set correctly (if required)?

- Is the spindle bearing fully inserted (if required)?

- Is the spindle bearing lubricated correctly (if required)?

- Is the correct platter mat installed and laying correctly?

I'm assuming you've tried a cleaner record with less surface noise to make sure the issue isn't with that record.

Edited by pwstereo

no I'm busy, and project didn't reply to me ? 

with regards to someones earlier post, I can actually hear the noise without a record on when I listen up close to the turntable.

will try and get a spirit level soon to see if its ever so slightly off balance..

oh and the lubricant post above might help.

Sorry, I can't hear the noise (could be the medicinal Vodka but it eases the pain) but have you considered outside sources. We have trouble with our wireless modem causing interference when the turntable is connected to our vintage Sony amp's phono input.  It's a low level, regular beat that can be heard when the music is not playing.

Here are some suggestions from another thread that might help:

image.gif.ab46e904e808b3516805f3ca53f766a3.gifimage.gif.1e2f5912add22abe149d6150adf71a55.gif

On 23/06/2015 at 3:48 PM, johnmath said:

There are two problems common to both new and old Pro-Ject turntables that use a poorly implemented motor suspension. 1: The belt riding up (or down) the pulley and rubbing on the flange causing noise; and 2: the whole motor and belt resonating sympathetically with the 100Hz 'cogging' of the motor and this 100Hz subsequently coupling to the plinth and platter, causing significant hum to be picked up by the stylus during quiet passages and between tracks.

The solution to both problems is easy - it is to use the transport screws to 'tune' out the hum. With something resiliant under the motor tabs, such as 'o'rings (later Pro-Jects are supplied with a rubber grommet in place) gently tighten the transport screws for minimum hum in the plinth. You can either use a conduction or mechanic's stethoscope on the plinth, or place the stylus onto something resting on the plinth and listen with the amplifier turned up loud enough to hear the hum. From the screws just touching the tabs, as you tighten them the 100Hz hum will reduce to a null point, after which further tightening will start to increase the hum as the resilience of the grommet or 'o'ring is taken up by compression. Once properly tensioned, the transport screws will also hold the motor shaft vertical and solve the belt height problem.

Once you have made this modification, two other limitations will/may become apparent, depending on the Pro-Ject model. The leads supplied that look like QED Profile ones are very poorly shielded especially at the RCA plugs. Replacing the leads with properly screened, or preferably double screen, leads with shielded (metal shell) plugs will drop the noise floor for buzz by as much as 15 dB - enough to reveal the next limitation on Carbon tonearm Pro-Jects. The carbon tonearm does not adequately screen the signal wires in the tonearm, The fix is to replace the tonearm wiring with something like Cardas screened Litz tonearm cable. Note that the PVC sheath of the Cardas cable is stiff enough to affect the tonearm free movement, so it is recommended to remove the PVC sheath where it needs to be flexible, namely near the tonearm pivot.

Ultimately, without a record on the deck, you should be able to turn up the volume on your amplifier to maximum and hear only a bit of sshhh noise, with NO hum and NO buzz evident at all. Nor should you be able to hear any hum when the stylus touches the lead-in groove. It doesn't seem to matter which Pro-Ject turntable or how much it cost, I have found these issues across the Pro-Ject range to a greater or lessor extent.