Playing a 104 year old record - Enrico Caruso

Congratulations @aussievintage  on your preamp project.

How did you come by the 78rpm disc?   Fascinating that in playing it you are recreating sound waves produced 104 years ago!  

Of course you'd be getting better sound with your modern stylus and cartridge, than the sound from a purely mechanical 78rpm setup, though such sound can be surprisingly good. For example I don't know whether the recording below on Youtube is truly based on the sound emerging from the gramophone horn rather than from a modern pickup. If it's from a horn, it's remarkably good!  Caruso had an exceptionally fine operatic tenor voice. His interpretation and tone shine through in this recording of Santa Lucia, despite its by current technical standards very low audio quality:-

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MLXXX said:

Congratulations @aussievintage  on your preamp project.

Thanks

1 hour ago, MLXXX said:

How did you come by the 78rpm disc?

When I became interested in old recordings, I bought some bulk lots from gumtree.  It was in one of them.

1 hour ago, MLXXX said:

Fascinating that in playing it you are recreating sound waves produced 104 years ago!  

Of course you'd be getting better sound with your modern stylus and cartridge, than the sound from a purely mechanical 78rpm setup, though such sound can be surprisingly good.

For sure.  I do have a couple of windup mechanical gramophones, and the sound is very much as per that youtube video.  They work because of the limited bandwidth.  I have to use software filters to do the same thing to eliminate as much noise as possible from what the more modern system picks up off the old record.  It is surprising that an old record, that's been played by steel needles, still retains that much clear information.

• Like 1

I found a couple of Caruso's in my stash, probably some more. Must be over 500 78's to sort out. 

All ineed of a clean, quite a few in bad shape, but many just need a good clean.

Can you still buy pouches for them? 

Silverfish have wrecked a lot of them.

They are ridiculously heavy.

The replacement 10" sleeves are quite expensive for what you get.  I've spent a lot of time looking for suitably sized envelopes to cut down, with the intention of getting a cutting compass to get the hole to view the label.  Unfortunately, I can't find anything the right size (and I don't want to be getting oversize). 

11 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

The replacement 10" sleeves are quite expensive for what you get. 

I purchased 50 ready made ones.   But I only use them for pristine or rare shellac.   Most old records are well scuffed and I just try to have those with covers interleaved with those that don't.  I have this old stack of Bing Crosby that simply aren't worth the effort or cost of covers :) 

If youre looking for old stuff heres a guy I used to work with.  He used to run Vintage Jazz Mart, looks like hes retired from there but still has his own site.  I remember he had an amazing setup to play just any sort of record and electronics built by a mate at the BBC

http://www.jazzhound.net/

http://www.vjm.biz/about-vjm.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

Just another pic that shows the nice little Luxman amp I am using.  Currently playing 1923 recording of the Coldstream Guards - "The daughter of the regiment"

IMG20200928161229.jpg.5d4523f62ea30544bab53fd100b3103d.jpg

That title sounds a bit dodgy.. Couldn't they tell which one was the father?

• Like 1

On 25/09/2020 at 12:01 PM, audiofeline said:

There is a lot of fantastic music neglected in old grooves. 

Enough of the vinyl resurgence - we need a shellac resurgence!

Yeah, but the lack of modern artists on them would kill it for most..

On 25/09/2020 at 3:34 PM, surprisetech said:

Joan Baez would agree.

Speaking of voices though, I think Joan would have to be the most listenable vocalist I can think of. She's definitely my favourite anyway. Such a pure voice, especially in hey younger years.

• Like 1

Just now, aussievintage said:

Maybe, but tracks like "Room for the factotum"  and "Santa Lucia" are timeless.  I bet everyone's heard them before and would enjoy them still. :) 

Sorry, just my attempt at ironical humour...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, awty said:

Sorry for the back ground noise and poor filming. Guess the record could do with a better clean aswell. Sounds much better in real life...

I bet it does.  Who is that?  Sounds a bit different to the Caruso I have heard.  Judging by the orange small label, it is something a bit later - although it may be a re-pressing of an older recording.

Edited by aussievintage

6 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I bet it does.  Who is that?  Sounds a bit different to the Caruso I have heard.  Judging by the orange small label, it is something a bit later - although it may be a re-pressing of an older recording.

I thought they were hand carved back then.. ?