Friendly Neighbourhood Turntable Guy/Girl

Hi,

I am in need of a friendly neighbourhood turntable guy/girl that will be able to assist in installing a new Ortofon Blue 2M Cartridge onto my Project Debut Carbon TT.  I have watched all the youtube videos and read a fair bit of material but think it would be best if I am given a full tutorial by a pro who can show me how it's done and probably fix a bunch of other things in my set up.

Based in the inner west of Melbourne.  Happy to pay a fee.

Enquire within

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, muon* said:

What are you upgrading from?

I ask, as if It's a 2M Red the bodies are identical so you can just replace the red stylus with the blue if the Red is already aligned well.

Upgrading from an OM 5E.  

I am pretty sure there is a problem with current setup as i have taken new records out of the sleeve and get some skipping.

Resized_20200923_141930.jpeg.a7248f0eaa2b8dec32c00cebb17ee777.jpeg

Overall TT setup health check as well as cart replacement is required i think.

Further question - do i need anything else apart from the Blue 2M Cartridge eg cartridge screws ?

Thanks

I think the 2M come with screws, they screw into the carts body rather than the more fiddly bolt & nut arrangement.

Other things likely needed is a bullseye level and an alignment protractor, and stylus scales to set tracking force.

Edit: if a local analogue nutter helps you, they could already have those items to assist :D

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, markielinhart said:

I’m not in Melbs -  I’d happily set it up for you, it’s something I like doing, but I’m in the country.
Just a thought, did buy the Ortofon from a local hifi shop? If so, they may be able to help you...

They normally would but not with current restrictions unfortunately!

3 hours ago, stil_nox said:

They normally would but not with current restrictions unfortunately!

So you would need to find someone within your nominated "social bubble" to come and help you, or wait until covod restrictions are relaxed.  Frustrating times in Melbourne these days. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stil_nox said:

Upgrading from an OM 5E.  

I am pretty sure there is a problem with current setup as i have taken new records out of the sleeve and get some skipping.

Resized_20200923_141930.jpeg.a7248f0eaa2b8dec32c00cebb17ee777.jpeg

Overall TT setup health check as well as cart replacement is required i think.

Further question - do i need anything else apart from the Blue 2M Cartridge eg cartridge screws ?

Thanks

If it is skipping stylus is very dirty or tracking force and or anti skate is wrong.  Skipping is likely not the cart or even worn stylus something else is wrong.

Chris

• Like 2

12 hours ago, audiofeline said:

So you would need to find someone within your nominated "social bubble" to come and help you, or wait until covod restrictions are relaxed.  Frustrating times in Melbourne these days. 

Agree!.. hopefully someone is willing and able.

Give your local hifi store a call.

Mine was able to put me onto a retired hifi nut customer who’s been building his own TTs since the ‘60s - you might get lucky, or surely a professional mobile tech (covid permitting).

$100, and some awesome stories to boot.