Wanting to upgrade my CD player. Any advice?

Hello,

I have an old Kenwood DP-2080 CD player. It works fine but I'd like something better. I've long since been looking at players like the Rotel CD-14 as a potential replacement. I need to keep expenditure under $1,000AUD.

The rest of my setup consists of a Luxman M02 power amp and a Luxman C02 pre-amp. I have Time Window 1A speakers. The CD player is an important component of my system that I'll always use.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, harfdef said:

Add the Ares dac for sale in the classifieds then later on add good CD transport or if you only want 1 box an early Marantz like the 85

Has the Ares DAC sold? I might be looking in the wrong spot but I can only see a sold one.

We all have our like and dislikes as far are brands and technical aspects of gear. Mine are shaped by what I have learned by fixing them for the last few years.

Whereas Rotel is a good brand and I had RCD-991 for many years and it was full of highest quality components, it somewhat failed to deliver the excitement. Only in the week I put it up for sale I managed to get hold of the Service Manual and found that its balanced output was not truly balanced but simply a single ended one with cold leg achieved by inverting a signal with an op-amp.

A triumph of marketing over engineering.

As far as your choice of CD-14 I cannot comment, because I simply do not know what's inside for it is not featured in any of the CD player databases. It obviously is new and hasn't made to any workshop that cared to submit the results. Rotel does not say what mechanism it is using because there isn't mech there to be bragging about.

My preference is therefore for older designs, for currently there aren't any mechanisms made for CD players that are any good, and good CD player starts with good mechanism.

I looked up some Luxmans to see if they made any nice players with good mechs and they did but many moons ago and they are hard to come by.

So if you are after a brand new one, any good ones cost thousands for they have mechanism loaders made almost by hand (like Esoterics) and there isn't anything that comes to mind that is affordable and decent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I knew the RCD12 and RCD 1570 pretty well. I wouldn't own either and guessing the CD 14 isn't a giant advancement.

Have heard a few Krell players and they always impress. There is this at the moment that does a bit extra.

Might be worth considering if it breaks, if it can be repaired and how much though....

Primare CD players sell around your budget and smashed the Rotels in my opinion

As always best to go listen for yourself when dictator Dan allows...

Edited by Bunno77
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Irek said:

you can get a Marantz 6006 under $1k, especially that new model is coming soon. 

If you are after a modern (meaning brand new) player that is a one box solution, this actually might be a good choice.

MARANTZ CD6006    CS4398-CZZ    CJDKT690 (Sanyo SF-P101N)

The Cirrus Logic DAC is used by many top end manufacturers (and none of the budget ones) which is a good indicator not only of its price but also its sonic quality.

My favourite manufacturer, Electrocompaniet uses it in 4 of its players and DACs so it must be good for they are anal in their choice of important components.

The Sanyo SF-101P mech is still readily available, and although not a masterpiece of engineering, it is a proper CD player mechanism that costs $30+ in its original form. Most players these days that claim to have something extraordinary under their hood (like CD-PRO2) have a $5 DVD mech encased in metal or carbon fibre box to look good and to disguise what they really are and most prople fall for that.

The player mentioned by Bunno77 above is also very good.

SOLD: FS: Primare CD32 CD Player

This also should be a good player for it has Burr-Brown PCM-1704 ladder DAC, the last of the really good expensive DAC chips and the same Sanyo mechanism as Marantz.

Look out for one. Its weakness is that it is... sold :-)

As far as my stock I only currently have Roksan Caspian and Sony CDP-338ESD that could be considered - both relatively ancient.

Cheers

Roman

Edited by rockeater
minor spelling
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I may have a Denon A11 Universal player (PCM 1738 chipset) for sale. Low hours, does DVD-A and SACD as well as cd. It has been sitting as a back up and was only given a check over this week.  Built like a tank, I have three Krell cd players and the Denon is a heavy weight (13 kgs) with very good build quality.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Tao said:

Hello,

I have an old Kenwood DP-2080 CD player. It works fine but I'd like something better. I've long since been looking at players like the Rotel CD-14 as a potential replacement. I need to keep expenditure under $1,000AUD.

The rest of my setup consists of a Luxman M02 power amp and a Luxman C02 pre-amp. I have Time Window 1A speakers. The CD player is an important component of my system that I'll always use.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks!

https://hifidisposals.com.au/collections/cd-players/products/creek-evo-50-cd-black
https://hifidisposals.com.au/collections/cd-players/products/marantz-cd-6006

Sorry, one player is over budget but it looks nice!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rockeater said:

What model of Krell and Denon do you have?

The best CD player I have ever seen in my workshop was a Krell KPS-28c so I am keen to know.

I have a 28c, 505 and a Cipher.

@Tao, i suggested the Marantz because i bought the 5005 for a friend, compared in my system to my Creek CD $2.5k+ and my Musical Fidelity X-Ray3 $2k +, at $499 for the 5005, it did not disgrace itself in sound quality. the link from @DET for the Marantz at $699 would be great value, i also have a Mazantz CD52 MkII SE in my vintage system, sounds great in my main system as well

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It may also help to know what sound signature you tend towards?  Personally, I prefer an “analogue” smooth sound over a detailed “digital” sound.  Some players can seems to manage both, but not often!

As a result I like the Burr-Brown pcm-1704 signature, and I love my Denon Dcd-3000 player.  They can be found used for good prices well below your budget, and have a really good headphone amp, as well as a really useful “digital in” input, so I use an old iPhone via a USB>spdif converter to the CD player and use its DAC.  Makes for a great cheap streamer!

good luck.  Mat

• Like 1
  • Love 1

If you're willing to try something older, a Cyrus CD7 with the Qdac upgrade is a great player. It has probably the best transport Cyrus ever used, Burr Brown chipset, and has digital out if you decide to use a different DAC down the line. When the optional PSXr power supply is added, you will pay a lot more to better it, even with current model offerings. I've compared mine side by side with a Halcro SACD player, and there isn't much in it. 

Edited by t_mike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1