Interesting Bandcamp article

Interesting article, sounds like quite a well thought out business model, and it seems to be working. Just hope they don't get bought out and it all goes downhill.

I have bought quite a few CDs from BandCamp, which usually also includes a digital download. I've found that artists quite often link to BandCamp from their websites to sell their music. 

Love Bandcamp. The music you can find on there is amazing. Love following the "musical breadcrumbs" it offers and then finding great new music.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, recur said:

Buying vinyl on there is a bit hit and miss. Shipping is usually extortionate. It's nice to have a platform that is more creative focused though.

Shipping isn't cheap but at least at the moment, I'd rather Bandcamp make their profit from me than from the artist

8 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

Shipping isn't cheap but at least at the moment, I'd rather Bandcamp make their profit from me than from the artist

Definitely.

However when a vinyl album costs say $25 and shipping is $35 ( not uncommon ) it tends to make the album very expensive.

All up $60 US equates $85 Oz and call me tight or whatever you like but I don't buy $85 records

It's especially galling when you can often buy the same record from a retailer on Discogs in the week after release and get shipping for a fraction of the cost Bandcamp sell it for.

I go to bandcamp to buy flac albums, it's the best thing since sliced bread if your favoured artists are on there.

Best thing to come from the modern digital musical world.

I (used to before we got ourselves a pandemic) go out to the pub, see a band, like their music, come home and buy an EP or album on Bandcamp, so good. So much new music from up and coming bands, it's brilliant.

On 23/09/2020 at 12:27 PM, emesbee said:

I have bought quite a few CDs from BandCamp, which usually also includes a digital download

I prefer buying CD's from Bandcamp as often the included digital download is in high resolution. Unfortunately there is no way (that I know of) to check beforehand but even with CD quality it means you have the unopened CD to keep or sell later if you like.

1 minute ago, Jumbuck said:

I prefer buying CD's from Bandcamp as often the included digital download is in high resolution. Unfortunately there is no way (that I know of) to check beforehand but even with CD quality it means you have the unopened CD to keep or sell later if you like.

Yes, they usually offer a choice of formats. With the CDs I've purchased from them I've generally downloaded the FLAC version while I'm waiting.

Q: And why would I buy the CD if I can download the format of my choice, I hear you ask?

A: Because I'm a bit old-fashioned, I like to hold things.