P9 mat

@Tubularbells  Doug is there much weight in the leather, do you have  make allowances for that? I've got several felt ones for my TT and a real static-ey record will come off the TT with the mat attached, it's a pita.

I tried a Hoffman forum suggestion and it wasn't bad but I thought it was a bit heavy(cork pot plant bases from Amazon US, exact LP measurements and you drill a hole in them, $7 usd each they look the biz but ...leather sounds better. I mean the idea.)

6 hours ago, Luc said:

@Tubularbells  Doug is there much weight in the leather, do you have  make allowances for that? I've got several felt ones for my TT and a real static-ey record will come off the TT with the mat attached, it's a pita.

I tried a Hoffman forum suggestion and it wasn't bad but I thought it was a bit heavy(cork pot plant bases from Amazon US, exact LP measurements and you drill a hole in them, $7 usd each they look the biz but ...leather sounds better. I mean the idea.)

95 grams according to the scale.

20200923_025014.thumb.jpg.b80e49938fd84ca43e98c586038d6c16.jpg

13 hours ago, Ktony said:

I realise it would be getting into shim territory but...

has anyone tried an achromat (funk) ?

There is a thread for P9 owner here, and have some discussion on the mat selection. You can have a read.

I haven't tried funk mat before but have tried acrylic mat from other brand, it is not as good as other material....

I currently use rubber/cork (Thorens which is same as Blue Horizon), Leather and the original felt.

It is very hard to decide which one is the best, they all seem good 9n different type of music so I have kept all three. If I need to keep one only, I would probably keep the original felt mat but static is an issue though. 

34 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

If I need to keep one only, I would probably keep the original felt mat but static is an issue though. 

19 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

The felt mat clinging to the record as I remove it is so annoying, I simply refuse to use mine.

Decades ago, I used to get static which would cause my felt mat to lift off with the record.  The solution was ... 3 pieces of double-sided tape on the LP12 platter, to hold the mat down.

However, once I started using a wet/vac RCM ... the static problem disappeared.  And moving to a us cleaning machine ... again, static never appears.

Andy

3 hours ago, andyr said:

Decades ago, I used to get static which would cause my felt mat to lift off with the record.  The solution was ... 3 pieces of double-sided tape on the LP12 platter, to hold the mat down.

However, once I started using a wet/vac RCM ... the static problem disappeared.  And moving to a us cleaning machine ... again, static never appears.

Andy

That will work, I do some records don't have static issue, probably because they are the ones that I cleaned them with the US cleaning.

I haven't tried the leather, might give it a go. Tried the cork, sometimes sticks anyway. I was almost thinking the peeling the felt off thing is annoying, but then trying to keep things in perspective, 1st world problems, Covid19, bushfires etc., I just think how lucky am I that I'm able to have the luxury of just hanging out spinning disks. Viva la static!