Rotel RB1582MKII - input switch

Hi all, loving my new amplifier and I have a question about the input switch on the rear which lets you determine if you want to let in the RCA or and XLR audio signal in.

can I use this as a simple source switch?

So effectively have my AV signals run through the RCA inputs and my 2CH signal run through the XLR, and I just switch it depending on what I’m listening too?

for me this will probably work better than the ht bypass via my nad C658 which isn’t entirely going to plan at the moment.

ive read that using both inputs at the same time is a bad idea unless there’s a switch, it’s mainly potential damage to the amp that I’m worried about but given there’s a switch I figured that shouldn’t be an issue.

thanks 

1769EE31-FC7C-4CE3-A582-5C5AD7358C5B.jpeg

From the manual:

“Input Selector Switch 5
A toggle switch in the rear panel selects the type of input signal to use. Select the correct inputs to use with this flip switch.
NOTE: You should choose only one method of analog connection from a source component to the amplifier. Do not connect both the RCA and XLR outputs of a source component to the same amplifier at the same time.“

This indicates that maybe you can't. Perhaps two different sources would be OK?

I haven’t been game to try with my RB1552 mkII.

1 minute ago, bmc said:

From the manual:

“Input Selector Switch 5
A toggle switch in the rear panel selects the type of input signal to use. Select the correct inputs to use with this flip switch.
NOTE: You should choose only one method of analog connection from a source component to the amplifier. Do not connect both the RCA and XLR outputs of a source component to the same amplifier at the same time.“

This indicates that maybe you can't. Perhaps two different sources would be OK?

I haven’t been game to try with my RB1552 mkII.

Thanks, yeh read the same last night and concluded the same given they will not be running concurrently.

But if any doubt I won't go down that road, ran some music though the RCA last night then switched to XLR and there wasn't any sound leakage coming through so the switch appears solid.... for what its worth.

On 22/09/2020 at 1:18 PM, RankStranger said:

I would say best to check with the techs at International Dynamics. They’ll probably know better than anyone

Thanks for the tip, contacted the distributor, feedback is that it’s ok to use the switch as a source selector, will only be a short term solution until I get the long term option sorted but gets me out of a bind. 👍🏼