Power amp advice appreciated

Hi there peeps,

Newish here and I feel like I am asking "how long is a piece of string?" but I am looking to replace my ageing (but still very operational) Audiolab 8000m (x2 - UK made originals)) power amps. The pre is a MF Nu Vista which I really like and have just had serviced and re-valved and the speakers are Epos M22i. Main source is vinyl and digital streamed via a Leema DAC. Music is almost everything - maybe less classical. So I am really thinking second hand and trying to maintain the same pre-power balance. I quite like how it all sounds.  Budget is variable but 2-4k for the right thing that will last (though i cannot help lusting after a pair of NAP135s which are more than that). I tend to keep stuff - my turntable is a heavily modified Planar 3 that I bought in 1990!

Anyway - would appreciate any thoughts. Hope you are doing ok in these strange times.

Simon

2 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Could you get your existing mono refurbed/serviced/tweaked? 

+1

or are you looking for an upgrade.

The unit is from 2005 so a recap should not be necessary, but basic inspection and health check would be worthwhile, eg, checking for stressed componets, bias, dc offset, bench test/distortion,power...

Its actually around 1995 - the pre Tag versions. SO they possibly do need a full overhaul. I would be interested in an upgrade I think if it were for a long term - hence the passing interest in some NAP135s. Pretty open to all suggestions at the moment and there seems to be a fiar bit of collected knowledge here. I do like older british hifi (seeing as I came form there originally)

Thank you Mike

s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Not sure if they'd be in your price range but what about something from musical fidelity to match your pre?

Thank you. Yes I had wondered about the x-a200 monos but they don't come up too often. The reviews I have found seem quite good.  Plus aesthetically it would be satisfyingly kubrick.