Kompakt DAC Official Release

Gieseler Audio

Good morning all, 

I'm happy to announce that the Kompakt DAC has released at 9AM AEST on our website!

Stock will be limited and I'm expecting they will sell out so if you want one from the first batch you will need to be quick.

I apologize in the event anyone who wants one is unable to buy one, COVID-19 has heavily impacted supply and shipping for many of our specialized components but I wanted to start getting product into your hands.

We will have a larger batch available in about two weeks (early to mid October).

There is info and pictures on the DAC in the recent 2020 series press release thread, but I will post some additional details shortly and full user manuals will be available on our website in the coming days.

All the best,

Clay and the team

Edited by Gieseler Audio
Update
  • Like 16

Coax & Optical 44k to 192K

USB                    44k to 384k

As soon as I get a bit of spare time I will post a lot more technical information.

Just flat chat at the moment building DAC's & power supplies to fill new orders.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
more info
  • Like 2

Hi Jeddie,

correct!

I went to a lot of trouble with the Kompakt DAC in terms of the internal power supply.

It is also using a large choke so the power supply is very well filtered.

The sound quality is excellent just using the supplied 9v external transformer.

However just for fun I did try it with my new top-of-the-line Kraftwerk II power supply and it did improve things a little more.

That is certainly not a requirement though and you'll get excellent sound just using the supplied plugpack.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
More info

1 hour ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Jeddie,

correct!

I went to a lot of trouble with the Kompakt DAC in terms of the internal power supply.

It is also using a large choke so the power supply is very well filtered.

The sound quality is excellent just using the supplied 9v external transformer.

However just for fun I did try with my new top-of-the-line Kraftwerk II power supply and it did improve things a little more.

That is certainly not a requirement though and you'll get excellent with the supplied plugpack.

If we were to use a kraftwerk II to power a kompakt, would we need to buy the lower voltage version and select 9v output or can we use the higher voltage kraftwerk II  set at 12v output?

Hi everyone.

Thank you for your support and vote of confidence.

The first batch of ten is now sold out.

I have reordered another batch of ten cases which should arrive in about two weeks.

I will be pre-building circuit boards so once the cases arrive I should be able to ship out new orders fairly quickly.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just letting everyone know 

I have started taking pre-orders for the next batch.

Private message me with:

Full name & shipping address.

Email

Mobile no. - for tracking

I can then email you a invoice & allocate a serial number.

No need to pay the invoice until they are getting close.

All going well about eight days away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on the availability of the next batch of Kompakt DAC's.

The cases are due to arrive Monday the 19th of October.

The only hold up then is the AK4118A S/PDIF receiver chip .

Digikey (only supplier) ran out of these about a month ago but more stock is expected on the 15th October (yesterday)

I have ordered a lot so hopefully no more hold-ups on that part.

All going well the web site should show "in stock" late next week.

Update 20th October 

The next batch of cases has now arrived & the AK4118A chips are due tomorrow.

Finally I can now start building more Kompakt DAC's.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
Updated information
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Matt,

fortunately I had just stocked up on AKM DAC & S/PDIF chips before the fire.

I have enough chips for x 25 more Kompakt DAC's but that's it.

There is now zero stock at Digikey who is the main supplier.

I'm making enquireys through other big component stocking suppliers but not hopeful.

• Like 2

The year is 2025.

The remaining living StereoNET members are locked in an increasingly bloody battle over pre-order rights to the Last of the Kompakt DAKs

The cost of entry to GieselerDome, as it has come to be known in the international press, is now three human kidneys (no questions asked) and sworn forbearance of any future upgrades... ever!

Who will emerge victorious?

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Once again thank you everyone for the fantastic support.

Twenty eight units purchased in sixty days - that is a record for a new product of mine.

Unfortunately the web site is back to "out of stock" due to lack of Jensen Transformers 

but I will have more in a week or so.

?  ?  ?

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Once again thanks for the fantastic support.

There are now thirty two Kompakt DAC's out in the field.

I  only have enough DAC chips for nine more Kompakt DAC's.

Once they are sold the Kompakt will go on pause & will be no longer be available until I can source more AKM DAC chips.

At this stage it looks like about twelve months before AKM will be producing DAC chips again.  

I am looking at ESS Technology DAC chips but but it may be some time before I have a product using those.

?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hi Clay, sorry to hear about production shortages! Time for those who have been pondering over the Kompakt to get one! I am still very happy with my unit and it has so far cured my DAC upgradetitis. Well, I have two other DACs- Bifrost 2 and Yggdrasil from Schiit. They all have their respective strengths but I would consider the Kompakt the most realistic sounding unit amongst them. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

I am looking at ESS Technology DAC chips but but it may be some time before I have a product using those.

?

:shocked:  WOW, that is a major change!  As you know, AKM Velvet sound is different to ESS.  Looking forward to hearing how you can sprinkle your magic dust  to make the new DAC (name?) sound just as good...

• Like 1