9 speakers with 7.1 AV receiver?

I've currently got a setup where there are 7 speakers in the living room (Front + Center + Surround + Surround Back), then another 2 outdoor speakers (all passive), with all the cables leading to a cabinet.

Would the outdoor speakers work if plugged directly into Zone 2 pre-outs? I suspect the answer is no, so the next question is: Is there a way for me to cheap out by using a 7.1 AV receiver instead of buying a 9.2 AV receiver to drive the outdoor speakers (that I don't foresee myself using often) as well?

as far as i know . . . your outu luck.  If your receiver can only do 7.1 then thats all you can do really.

If you want to use the zone 2 pre-outs you will need to get a power-amp 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, steffanth said:

If you want to use the zone 2 pre-outs you will need to get a power-amp 

Or an integrated, preout would drive this fine too. 

On 21/09/2020 at 5:54 PM, chunjun said:

Would the outdoor speakers work if plugged directly into Zone 2 pre-outs? I suspect the answer is no, so the next question is: Is there a way for me to cheap out by using a 7.1 AV receiver instead of buying a 9.2 AV receiver to drive the outdoor speakers (that I don't foresee myself using often) as well?

Yes, buy a stereo amplifier... connect it to the "Zone 2 preouts" .... then connect your outdoor speakers to your stereo amp.

Hmmm, had a feeling this would be the case - thanks for the replies everyone! Going to need to buy another AV receiver anyway so might as well keep a lookout for an affordable 9.2 one.

If upgrading check that the receiver can power the additional  2 channels as a separate zone to the main 7 channels (ie they can be run a L&R channels in the 2nd zone and are not restricted in only being a surround channel pair in the main zone). 

18 hours ago, lucmor444 said:

If upgrading check that the receiver can power the additional  2 channels as a separate zone to the main 7 channels (ie they can be run a L&R channels in the 2nd zone and are not restricted in only being a surround channel pair in the main zone). 

Good point, was a little naïve for me think that I could just wire up the speakers and expect the AVR to let me assign whatever I feel like as Zone 2!

4 hours ago, steffanth said:

if your going to get one with 9.2  you may as well get 11.2 and give yourself the option of atmos

Yeah, depends on price point - not really keen on splashing out on the "guest" setup.