GIESELER Kompakt DAC owners thread

Gieseler Audio

Hi Guys,

I hope the new owners of Kompakt DAC enjoying your new Kompakt DAC.

Had anyone tested/compared different input on DAC - USB vs SPIDF coaxial

Thanks in advance.

Edited by QCY

On 24/09/2020 at 8:30 AM, lenticularis said:

The last time I had similar SQ was a couple of months back when streaming through my Auralic Aries femto into the USB of my Klein III with Enhanced Gold Tune Kraftwerk 

Read previous post , Kompakt DAC SPIDF is on par with USB input based on the comments

Edited by QCY

Sorry mate,

It's not easy to say.

Due to the change in streamer,

I had to change from USB Klein with Auralic Aries femto, to miniDSP SHD Studio with SPDIF input on the Kompakt.

I haven't tried the USB input on my new Kompakt, simply because the SHD Studio doesn't interface with it

Just another pretty innocuous post from me...

Basically, the Kompakt has slipped into the background in as much as it remains unobtrusive in the best way possible, just letting me get on and enjoy the music.

My system has changed in other ways too in recent months, as far as streamer, DSP and DACs are concerned.

Basically, I went from:

Option 

A/

Auralic Aries femto through wi-fi

Gieseler Klein (USB only). iFi Nano iUSB 3.0 with Chord Silverline and Curious USB cables

Tidal and 44.1, 16 bit FLACs

Stereo Coffee, May 2020 config (homebuilt from kit)

B/

miniDSP SHD Studio via Ethernet (wi-fi booster w Ethernet port)

Topping E30 DAC, via SPDIF. Van Damme 75 Ohm digital coax

Tidal and 44.1, 16 bit FLACs

Stereo Coffee, May 2020 config (homebuilt from kit)

C/

miniDSP SHD Studio via Ethernet (wi-fi booster w Ethernet port)

Gieseler Kompakt (3-input) DAC, via SPDIF, Bills' solid silver 75 Ohm digital coax (more impact than the Van Damme stuff I managed to scrounge from an old AV interconnect)

Tidal and 44.1, 16 bit FLACs, Roon with first-level MQA unfold when playing those

Stereo Coffee,  BT 2020+ latest config (homebuilt from kit)

It's pretty hard for me to appraise a given change, because I've gone from 'Option A' to 'Option C' in recent months. I have a sneaking suspicion that the miniDSP SHD Studio's adoption of 96kHz, 24 bit processing colours my ability to compare it with my former Auralic Aries femto and USB Klein III when I preferred NOS and Lightning DS's delivery compared with an earlier Roon trial.

I changed from the Auralic Aries to the miniDSP purely so I could have Dirac Live and I'm still developing the target curves to give me what I hope is more than the moderate differences I detect with and without DL. I do hear improvement however I suspect that the room influences are probably too severe to mitigate mostly by DSP. My room is difficult, with a stub wall close to the LH channel and inability  (due the usual domestic compromises) to move speakers out into the room further. Listening couches are also backed directly by the windows. Between 'B' and 'C' I also replaced some recording studio absorptive foam ( auray IP-L isolation pads cut to size ) with isoAcoustics isoPuck-Minis under the Sonus Faber Concerto Home speakers and that had a pretty dramatic impact on tightening up focus and bass.

I love the major upgrade with my new Kompakt (SN 0001 ?  ?  ? ) from the Topping E30 that was purely a stopgap  and the new Stereo Coffee main board from Chris Daly has added even more, also restoring a lot more volume that I originally had and was chasing down why I seemed to be getting attenuation, with Chris's help. 

The system is revealing enough that it also really shows up the change in SPDIF cables.

Sometime I'm going to serve the Kompakt through its USB, with a laptop and the iFi Nano iUSB and the good USB cables, just to try and appraise that input, compared with the SPDIF that I use with the miniDSP unit. If only I could source a Mutec 1.2 I would then be able to have a decent SPDIF-USB conversion and use the Kompakt's USB input at all times. There is some debate on whether or not the Mutec device permits my required functionality, and it's discontinued.

It's really gratifying to me that I have components in my system that are all high performance/price ratio products from the Gold Coast, Redlands Bay and New Zealand.

Thanks @Gieseler Audio, @Bill125812 and @stereo coffee!

20201006_170109-Snapseed.jpeg

20201006_system_snapseed.jpeg

Edited by lenticularis
typos...Mutec clarification, cable detail
  • Like 7

On 06/10/2020 at 4:59 PM, lenticularis said:

Sometime I'm going to serve the Kompakt through its USB, with a laptop and the iFi Nano iUSB and the good USB cables

Does upgrading the cable into the ifi do anything, or only the output?

I use a ifi micro usb myself. Does upgrading the stock blue cable it comes with from the pc do anything. Thinking of buying a curious cable for the output into the kompakt dont really want to buy two if it achieves nothing.

• Like 1

Good question!

The Chord Silverline was an earlier $90 upgrade from a stock cable, so I simply used that on the upstream end. The Curious cable was an additional option from the seller of the iUSB Nano and its reputation meant I didn't hesitate to buy it.

I tend to align with your thinking, however why not ask Mike Lenehan himself?

• Like 1

Hi Guys - I'm most interested in the changes the ifi iUSB micro/nano makes to the Kompakt DAC sound quality.

I would have thought the main advantage if the iUSB would using it with USB powered DAC's.

Now the Kompakt DAC is not USB powered, the Amanero USB board is powered from a seperate low noise regulator inside the DAC.

The DAC's USB sockets + input pin is fully disconnected.

The iFi units also claim reclocking & signal clean up so with say with a noisey laptop that could certainly help.

However I'm a little sceptical about some of these "add on" devices. I once tried a Intona USB isolator between my Auralic Aries femto & a Fein II. There was an immediate muddying of the sound and drop in resolution.

Anyway I'm certainly keen on any feedback in this area.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
Grammar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Guys - I'm most interested in the changes the ifi iUSB micro/nano makes to the Kompakt DAC sound quality.

I would have thought the main advantage if the iUSB would using it with USB powered DAC's.

Now the Kompakt DAC is not USB powered, the Amanero USB board is powered from a seperate low noise regulator inside

the DAC & the USB sockets + input pin is fully disconnected.

The iFi units also claim reclocking & signal clean up so with say with a noisey laptop that could certainly help.

However I'm a little sceptical about some of these "add on" devices. I once tried a Intona USB isolator between my Auralic Aries femto & a Fein II. There was an immediate muddying of the sound and drop in resolution.

Anyway I'm certainly keen on any feedback in this area.

Clay, have you tried the UpTone IsoRegen? 

No - Only the Regen.

It was hard to say if there was any difference.

I think the Auralic Aries Femto has a very clean output on USB so that is probably why I did not notice much difference.

I would think with a PC or laptop the difference would be more obvious as the source is quite noisey.

• Like 1

I hear a slightly wider soundstage and maybe a slightly cleaner sound. With the ifi micro before the dac. There isnt much of a difference tho

Thats using a 12 year old PC as a source with a usb wifi dongle and a wireless usb keyboard hooked into the motherboard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

No - Only the Regen.

It was hard to say if there was any difference.

I think the Auralic Aries Femto has a very clean output on USB so that is probably why I did not notice much difference.

I would think with a PC or laptop the difference would be more obvious as the source is quite noisey.

Yep, that's how I was using one with my Gross. With a good streamer it wasn't needed. 

Edited by Raffinator
  • Like 1

I’ve just hooked up my oldish MacBookPro to the Kompakt’s USB input.

In between I have a Curious USB cable into my iFi iUSB 3.0 Nano and Chord Silverline USB cable from that into the Kompakt.

Sounds very good with a great quiet background. 

This is just a quick test and my default streaming will remain using SPDIF from my miniDSP SHD Studio with Dirac Live room correction.

BF705B24-1C46-4E36-A419-BA3F617C1A9C.jpeg

Edited by lenticularis
Photo added
  • Like 4

Ongoing tests, just for my curiosity mostly, will swap the order of the USB cables, and remove the iFi device altogether.

i should also add that all of these combinations are using Roon to access my library (Tidal or home-ripped 16/44.1 FLACs).

Currently streaming Anna Tivel’s thought-provoking ‘Heroes Waking Up’ album from Tidal, followed by Jennifer Warnes’ Famous Blue Raincoat album of Leonard Cohen songs.
Nice stereo depth and that amazing soundstage width that was an immediate hallmark of the Kompakt.

B0BF9A06-34B1-4B2E-A7B3-202CEAE95131.png

Edited by lenticularis
Switched to playing Jennifer Walnes...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone and thanks for all the great feedback on the Kompakt DAC.

It seems like all those hours of research & testing paid off.

Not all owners like to post on SNA so here is just one example of a satisfied new owner who emailed me today.

Quote from serial number 007

Hi Clay 

Just wanted to say how pleased I am with the Kompakt dac

I’am amazed by the differences in detail retrieval soundstage and overall the music is a lot more natural sounding.

It’s the placement of instruments and the tonal integrity which blows me away as well

As stated by many others you are true to your word in offering a DAC which is superb sounding and great value to boot

So overall roughly fifty hours in and my little Peachtree itx is in the drawer for good

Thank you for your great service

Mike 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pete_mac said:

Why hello there! 

I'll post my impressions later, but I foresee this being the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

Kompakt.jpg.f9788a721447c1b01952624a748bacb8.jpg

I put the hard word on Clay for you, Pete. You’re welcome!

(Just kidding. He said he already had yours ready to go :D )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2020 at 9:26 AM, Herbs said:

So how'd ya go?

Ok, I had a listen this afternoon.

Options:

1. MacBookPro -> Curious cable -> iFi USB Nano 3.0 -> Chord Silverline cable -> Kompakt USB input

2. MBP -> Chord Silverline cable -> iFi USB Nano 3.0 -> Curious cable -> Kompakt

3. MBP -> Curious cable -> Kompakt

Option 2 was very slightly preferred to 1. Both Option 2 and Option 1 had more 'fullness' than Option 3, although it was still acceptably clear with just less weight than 2. or 1.

4. miniDSP SHD Studio -> Kompakt SPDIF input

I then reverted to my standard Option 4 and didn't use Dirac Live initially because that would have been cheating.  I preferred Option 4 to all of the others.

All test tracks were streamed from Tidal Hi-Res by Roon through the MBP

Test tracks:

Option 1:

a. Matshkal, Hespèrion XXI and Jordi Savall. 44.1, 24 bit FLAC

b. La gamba for bass and soprano, Hespèrion XXI and Jordi Savall

c. Pavana con su glosa, Hespèrion XXI and Jordi Savall

d. All I Want, Rufus Wainright, Joni Mitchell 75th Birthday Concert

Option 2:

a.

b.

c.

d.

e Coyote, Gregg Hansard, Joni Mitchell 75th Birthday Concert

f River, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell 75th Birthday Concert

g Both Sides Now, Joni Mitchell 75th Birthday Concert

h Our House, Graham Nash, Joni Mitchell 75th Birthday Concert

Option 3:

a. 

b. 

c. 

d.

e.

Edited by lenticularis
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

4. miniDSP SHD Studio -> Kompakt SPDIF input

I then reverted to my standard Option 4 and didn't use Dirac Live initially because that would have been cheating.  I preferred Option 4 to all of the others

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. 

If in case you have used Dirac, it would have much better than option 4? Can we call that option 5    miniDSP SHD Studio(with Dirac) -> Kompakt SPDIF input.

Now it makes me to think how it would have performed with Auralic Aries in that chain (Auralic Aries>curious cable>Kompakt) .

Thanks again for sharing.

Edited by QCY

Dirac Live in my room is  only a reasonable improvement, prob because it's a difficult room.

Based on my previous satisfaction with my former Auralic Aries femto and Klein III, I've no doubt plugging an Aries into the Kompakt would be great.

With my Klein I added Clay's topline Enhanced GoldTune Kraftwerk LPSU and I used the Option 2 config, as detailed above (substitute the  Aries for MBP in the Option 2 chain).

Edited by lenticularis
  • Like 2