Cartridge clips

I would really like to understand that life or death situation that would drive you to the perception that you definitely need new clips for tomorrow. Also, clips generally do not need widening, just a bit patience and steady hands when installing them on the cartridge. Which one of those two you are short of?  

• Haha 1

I’ll explain further... the leads were happily attached to the back of a shure V15 until Saturday night. But I have just purchased a 2m black and wanted to install it. The shure came away easily, but I realised the Ortofon has smaller pins on it, so I attempted to squeeze one of the clips a little tighter- but squeezed it too hard and it became too tight. I’ve been trying to widen it but no success yet, so thought it might be easier to solder on a new clip. And coincidently a friend of mine is in town today who is an electrical expert and can help me - hence wanting the clip today!

Hello @Rangi, I’ve had this issue a few times and what I found the best tool to spread the terminal jacks slightly with is a toothpick. Be careful not to spread the terminal jack too much, otherwise you will be looking for something to crimp it back with.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1

Thanks eman. Ive also been googling - and seen suggestions of “third hand”, clasping tools , from jaycar I expect. I think half the reason I haven’t been able to open it is I can’t Grasp it properly in my hand. Though obviously care required so that I don’t do further damage by gripping too hard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rangi said:

Thanks eman. Ive also been googling - and seen suggestions of “third hand”, clasping tools , from jaycar I expect. I think half the reason I haven’t been able to open it is I can’t Grasp it properly in my hand. Though obviously care required so that I don’t do further damage by gripping too hard. 

Hello Rangi, don't over think this too much, although I do think Lee's suggestion above may be just a wee bit too big for your purpose!!xD 

I think you said that you tried to crimp the terminal jacks to make them a tighter fit over the pins on the Ortofon cartridge. If you're doing that in future, use a toothpick again inside the terminal jack when you crimp it down, as it will give you a bit more control over how far you take it. A good pair of tweezers or a small pair of pinch nosed pliers should be all that you would need to hold the terminal jack with......................it's not an overly difficult job to do.:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1