Lumagen Owners Thread

6 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yes, @wooferocau mentioned it on the Oppo thread I believe. I was wondering though rather than piecemeal modding (and voiding warranty) on a lot of devices if you could do it.  I guess not for this. The Lumagen has an external PSU doesn't it, so the linear PSU replaces that?

It is kind of falling into something I was wanting to do, and that is rationalize all of the DCS power supplies to various av devices, so have an external linear PSU you could feed the Lumagen, and other DC devices. So you may need different voltage outputs etc. I guess for the oppo tchnically you could then mod it to bypass the AC input and cable up to the DC side of it from the external LPSU. DC Power packs in the AV area are a bit of a mess to be honest!

Theres maybe a work around with daisychained ultracap 1.2's ? This is the sort of psu upgrade that Ayre would love?

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1-2

There has never been a power supply like this before!  The UltraCap LPS-1.2 will elevate the performance of whatever component you power with it.

[The adventurous could even purchase two units and hook their outputs up in series, with each one set to either the same or a different voltage—making possible 10/14/16/17/18/19/24V! ; An even more interesting application would be for a DIY hobbyist to use two units harnessed together and center-tapped to produce a pure and isolated bi-polar (+ & -) supply for audio circuit use.]

• Like 1
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many may not be aware but Jim Peterson ( Lumagen)  has been working on a NEW update  for the Lumagen Radiance Pro series VP,s. that incorporates a NEW UP-Scaling Algo AND!!!!! for the first time a "Sh

Not a baseline calibration as such, just a baseline settings. Tony and I run the same projector so my settings will be very similar to his (configuration of ins/outs) and HDR handling. As this

Here’s the details and the list of participating dealers for those on the fence about buying a lumagen.    https://www.stereo.net.au/news/free-in-home-isf-calibration-with-lumagen-video-process

11 hours ago, cwt said:

Theres maybe a work around with daisychained ultracap 1.2's ? This is the sort of psu upgrade that Ayre would love?

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1-2

Ideally a box like that with multiple outputs of selectable voltage so it has say 6 dc outputs you could choose voltage. And ideally one with a decent torroidal transformer in it like say this

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/138258/Musical_Surroundings-24V_Linear_Charging_Power_Supply-Power_Cords

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/js-2-linear-power-supply

I'm pretty sure those oppo linear PSUs have multiple voltage outputs to the oppo, so technically you could but one of those and put it in a case and take other outputs, so long as the rating high enough.

EDIT: OK after more research, the oppo internals are multi voltage, and amperage wouldn't be enough to power Lumagen also...

BUT, there are it seems plenty of multi output linear DC power supplied out there. If they are single torroidal/AC stage ground loops may be an issues if powering audio gear (https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/blogs/articles/75817348-hi-end-audio-dc-power-supply-with-multiple-voltage-outputs-architecture-and-design) but should be fine for non audio. I actually REALLY need a linear PSU for my miniDSP (it does suffer visibly from power supply noise), and when/if I get a Lumagen I'd like one for that. So the Lumagen is 12V 5A center positive, 5.5/2.1mm, the miniDSP is 12V .3A 5.5/2.1mm center positive, so something like this would do the trick: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001480398971.html

I guess it depends how much you want to spend / improvement really. I've seen high end ones for just the Lumagen (see FidelityAudio in the UK)

OK here is a dual AC 12v 5A https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001026887809.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.c8cf58f8MWxMRj&algo_pvid=edce1a48-3593-41d0-bb1d-f7afdfb76563&algo_expid=edce1a48-3593-41d0-bb1d-f7afdfb76563-2&btsid=0bb0624516015877246881203eabb3&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Edited by Mobe1969
  • Like 1

For comparison purposes I used a still frame in a  1080  streaming video on Apple TV. 

This image is with standard SMPS

SMPS

Next Image was with Linear PSU in place.

IMG_0193.thumb.jpg.7b08c9bceef005de37b84efc7e2084e5.jpg

Differences are more noticeable with video running but essentially colour  seems  better saturated and rendered with Linear PSU and contrast a touch better too.  On the big screen, the  green and red looked more realistic.

I use the same LPSU  to power  Lumagen and Zappiti.  

• Like 1

1714293392_IMG_69002.thumb.jpg.0a3e95b03bbb7005ec4e598f86580354.jpg

1513235142_IMG_68992.thumb.jpg.f93a646488972406d02f5cc94dbc9457.jpg

Modifications to the JS-2  PSU are custom made transformer and choke by Hashimoto Transformer Co in Japan  plus upgraded capacitors.   These mods were done for audio purposes and I don't know if they make any difference to the picture.   From my experience  with audio use,  the choke and speed of the PSU were the primary reasons that this PSU performed so well. 

14 minutes ago, TP1 said:

1714293392_IMG_69002.thumb.jpg.0a3e95b03bbb7005ec4e598f86580354.jpg

1513235142_IMG_68992.thumb.jpg.f93a646488972406d02f5cc94dbc9457.jpg

Modifications to the JS-2  PSU are custom made transformer and choke by Hashimoto Transformer Co in Japan  plus upgraded capacitors.   These mods were done for audio purposes and I don't know if they make any difference to the picture.   From my experience  with audio use,  the choke and speed of the PSU were the primary reasons that this PSU performed so well. 

Thankyou......my order will be going in very shortly....

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Thankyou......my order will be going in very shortly....

I don't know if you run any other  DC powered gear in your setup, but the linear PSU makes an even bigger difference  for the likes of media players like Dune & Zappiti  as well as  streamers like  Roku.  It also has the juice to power  both devices  simultaneously.  You will just need to order an extra DC output cable if its needed. 

12 minutes ago, TP1 said:

I don't know if you run any other  DC powered gear in your setup, but the linear PSU makes an even bigger difference  for the likes of media players like Dune & Zappiti  as well as  streamers like  Roku.  It also has the juice to power  both devices  simultaneously.  You will just need to order an extra DC output cable if its needed. 

So the Lumagen connector is 5.5/2.1mm center pos?

Also note that article I posted. For dual outputs, ideally you should have dual ac transformers from a noise perspective.

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/blogs/articles/75817348-hi-end-audio-dc-power-supply-with-multiple-voltage-outputs-architecture-and-design

I have ordered a cheap low power single one for my miniDSP just to see the effect. Something I can easily measure the effect without additional hardware.

I will get one for the lumagen and oppo too eventually.

19 minutes ago, TP1 said:

Nice info TPI thanks ; makes me happy i bought a zappiti duo rather than the pro as a seperate lpsu has better isolation:)

1 hour ago, Mobe1969 said:

So the Lumagen connector is 5.5/2.1mm center pos?

Also note that article I posted. For dual outputs, ideally you should have dual ac transformers from a noise perspective.

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/blogs/articles/75817348-hi-end-audio-dc-power-supply-with-multiple-voltage-outputs-architecture-and-design

I have ordered a cheap low power single one for my miniDSP just to see the effect. Something I can easily measure the effect without additional hardware.

I will get one for the lumagen and oppo too eventually.

A group of us spent a couple of years all up in buying, building and testing linear PSUs for audio.    There are so many theories  on how to  do this but the proof is in the  actual performance.  For digital audio you can hear differences in speed between PSU's - for example  whether a drum  hits  hard or if it sounds  rounded off by comparison.  That speed seems to translate into overall accuracy as well .  

You don't often see choke modified linear PSU's for a couple of reasons.  Apart from  cost and complexity , a lot of choke PSU designs are for vacuum tube amplifiers which are not normally associated with speed.  The beauty of John Swenson's design is that he has added the purifying aspects of the choke design without sacrificing speed.

But then who knows where it can end?    This Taiko music server starts life as an Asus motherboard and is sold for over $40K 

144592117_TaikoAudioSGMExtremeEntireInsi

Edited by TP1
typo
2 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

So the Lumagen connector is 5.5/2.1mm center pos

I think mine is 2.5mm centre positive plug.

52 minutes ago, TP1 said:

I think mine is 2.5mm centre positive plug.

Argh. Odd given ever single other website I've checked says 2.1mm,

I'll wait until my lumagen arrives and check myself. I don't want to preemptively get the wrong one. It'd be lovely 8f the people that make these incredibly expensive devices just went the extra mm and put information like this on their website. I gue# when you only make $thousands$ from each sale, providing useful information is costly...

Edited by Mobe1969

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

I gue# when you only make $thousands$ from each sale, providing useful information is costly...

Sheesh, tough crowd. What have Lumagen done to offend you so much to make a comment like that?

I would not think that the mm pin size of their DC plug would be something that any manufacturer would consider 'useful information' to be included in standard published specifications. I bet one simple email to Lumagen to ask this very specific question would get you a very quick answer though.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Odd given ever single other website I've checked says 2.1mm,

It may well be 2.1mm. I am using a 2.5mm plug which often works with a 2.1mm  socket but not vice versa.  I'll have to locate my 2.1mm lead and check to be sure..

Ok.  The Lumagen DC socket does in fact have a 2.1 mm centre pin.  Apologies for any confusion.  

IMG_6903.thumb.jpg.c6ec3d39e5a653ab5af1e110239f4130.jpg

The Lumagen plug is in the centre and  with a 2.1mm plug on the right and 2.5mm on the left.   I have been using the 2.5mm  ( because it worked) but the  2.1 mm is a more snug fit.   

Lumagen's attention to detail in their design extends to the DC plug as well. Notice the extended insulator on the Lumagen plug? This is to prevent short circuits when  connecting the plug when the power is live.  It is a small detail but I and a couple of others I know of have experienced shorts when live swapping leads .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marc said:

Sheesh, tough crowd. What have Lumagen done to offend you so much to make a comment like that?

I would not think that the mm pin size of their DC plug would be something that any manufacturer would consider 'useful information' to be included in standard published specifications. I bet one simple email to Lumagen to ask this very specific question would get you a very quick answer though.

"Good thinking, 99" (Get Smart throwback).

Got a response. 12VDC 5A with a 5.5 x 2.1mm center positive.

• Like 1

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates
FW 092320
Posted 10520
Added sharpening enhancement feature which can be accessed in menu under Input: In Configs: RES: Enhance (or with right arrow).
Has level setting from 0-7 (7 being extreme sharpening) and a sensitivity setting which can be set to High or Norm (the High setting avoids sharpening low level changes).
You can also access sharpening with right arrow command if you set the option under Other: I/O Setup: Remote Ctl: R/Left arrows option for this.
Several improvements in FPGA have improved pixel precision especially for 1080 being upscaled to 4k.
Fix for DTM with some fast scene changes causing distracting color change (problem originally seem in Umbrella Academy with bright clouds in background).
Fix for menu command to reset all settings except CMS.
Fix for being unable to copy input settings to virtual inputs.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at support@lumagen.com .
Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware.

• Like 3
On 06/10/2020 at 4:22 AM, wooferocau said:

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates
FW 092320
Posted 10520
Added sharpening enhancement feature which can be accessed in menu under Input: In Configs: RES: Enhance (or with right arrow).
Has level setting from 0-7 (7 being extreme sharpening) and a sensitivity setting which can be set to High or Norm (the High setting avoids sharpening low level changes).
You can also access sharpening with right arrow command if you set the option under Other: I/O Setup: Remote Ctl: R/Left arrows option for this.
Several improvements in FPGA have improved pixel precision especially for 1080 being upscaled to 4k.
Fix for DTM with some fast scene changes causing distracting color change (problem originally seem in Umbrella Academy with bright clouds in background).
Fix for menu command to reset all settings except CMS.
Fix for being unable to copy input settings to virtual inputs.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at support@lumagen.com .
Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware.

Updated my Radiance Pro yesterday (my first update) and all went well.  Superb is all that I can say.  The sharpening feature is working a treat.  What a product, where it just gets better AFTER you purchase it ......  many on AVS forum are now saying that the Lumagen has just leap-frogged the MadVR !!!

• Like 1

I also updated Lumagen software  and wow!    I can only echo @MrC 's comments about how good it is to have a product that keeps getting better after you buy it (and for no cost!)

Firstly the scaling, this is a significant improvement.  I am now going to set Lumagen to do all scaling up to 4K - Nothing I have  tried was able to rival the 760ES  scaling until now.  With Lumagen, you would be forgiven for  thinking that 1080 images are 4K.  It just gets better from there with Lumagen's sharpening dialled in.

I am not generally a fan of sharpening controls but this doesn't seem to have the usual drawbacks if used sensibly.   The difference to an image is obvious and you notice more of the details, like the weave of a coat,  leaves on trees etc.   While standing quite close to the screen,  I did notice more artefacts when I dialled up the sharpening to higher levels, however these disappeared after  switching the sensitivity mode to 'high'. 

Still a lot to learn about this but pretty happy overall.   

• Like 2

Hi everybody,  

I thought I should introduce myself to you all. 

I am an authorised dealer Lumagen dealer.

HeyNow Hi-Fi is participating in the free calibration program. 

I offer free shipping across Australia.

https://www.heynowhifi.com.au/collections/video-processors

I'm here to help you with questions, advice and to offer you my SNA member deal.

Please PM with any questions. 

I'm here to help 

Kind Regards 

Geoff Haynes

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Geoff@HeyNow Hi-Fi said:

Hi everybody,  

I thought I should introduce myself to you all. 

I am an authorised dealer Lumagen dealer.

HeyNow Hi-Fi is participating in the free calibration program. 

I offer free shipping across Australia.

https://www.heynowhifi.com.au/collections/video-processors

I'm here to help you with questions, advice and to offer you my SNA member deal.

Please PM with any questions. 

I'm here to help 

Kind Regards 

Geoff Haynes

What is the calibration program? Is that something Lumagen are offering to encourage sales / simplify setup, make it more appealing? Do you just get details of projector throw etc?

5 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

What is the calibration program? Is that something Lumagen are offering to encourage sales / simplify setup, make it more appealing? Do you just get details of projector throw etc?

Hi Mobe1969

The calibration program is designed to make the user experience better by taking the guess work out of the setup. Somebody comes to your home and sets the processor up into your system and optimises the picture. 
We want to reduce barriers to ownership so more people are able to experience how great a lumagen can make their picture. 
Geoff 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Geoff@HeyNow Hi-Fi said:

Hi Mobe1969

The calibration program is designed to make the user experience better by taking the guess work out of the setup. Somebody comes to your home and sets the processor up into your system and optimises the picture. 
We want to reduce barriers to ownership so more people are able to experience how great a lumagen can make their picture. 
Geoff 

Huh, nice! So does that include calibration of the display, or at least setting the required settings on the projector for the Lumagen (eg HDR auto off, gamma, etc), or measuring it for a 3d LUT load for the Lumagen?

Just now, Mobe1969 said:

Huh, nice! So does that include calibration of the display, or at least setting the required settings on the projector for the Lumagen (eg HDR auto off, gamma, etc), or measuring it for a 3d LUT load for the Lumagen?

Good question ... as a current owner I applaud the initiative to assist future owners of a Lumagen Radiance Pro.  However, there needs to be some transparency about what this offer is, what it would normally cost and what will be the total cost.

2 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yes, that’s is correct, all settings optimized to obtain the best picture quality from the Lumagen on your display. There is no cost to you for the calibration. Its a value added Bonus. 
Geoff 

• Like 1
  • Administrators

This is the full service guys. Imagine you've just bought a new projector and a Lumagen. An ISF Calibrator (and I can say @Clarity Calibration is one of those who will be doing many of these as part of the program) will come out, configure the PJ and Lumagen, then perform a full calibration service. This is included in the cost of the Lumagen purchase.

• Like 2

The "Free"  calibration/setup being offered to all who purchase a new Radiance Pro is  a VERY generous offer.   For "many" it will also will take away the apprehension of a purchase due to  the  concern of setup ..

Well done to all involved...?

• Like 2
7 hours ago, wooferocau said:

The "Free"  calibration/setup being offered to all who purchase a new Radiance Pro is  a VERY generous offer.   For "many" it will also will take away the apprehension of a purchase due to  the  concern of setup ..

Well done to all involved...?

This offer gives me the confidence to know that my clients will get what they are paying for.

Ease of use and through specialist installation and calibration is important to all of us.

I am really happy to offer set up and calibration by Tony @Clarity Calibration with all new Lumagen processor purchases. Please get in touch with me about your setup as I will be providing whole system calibration.  

Kind regards 
Geoff 

17 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Hi Mobe1969

Yes It does.

Geoff

17 hours ago, MrC said:

Good question ... as a current owner I applaud the initiative to assist future owners of a Lumagen Radiance Pro.  However, there needs to be some transparency about what this offer is, what it would normally cost and what will be the total cost.

Hi MrC 

You should expect to pay $795 - $999 for a Lumagen Radiance Pro set up and calibration onto a single visual product.

The Lumagen listed prices have not increased with the announcement of this offer, This genuinely a free service provided to you - the end user for a period of time.

The offer I make is that there is no additional costs beyond the purchase of the Lumagen - unless you want to buy something else, like a better cable etc.

My recommendation is that, if interested SNA members send me a list of the products you have and I will give you a total figure for the Lumagen calibrated to the whole system.

No hidden extras, its not a foot in the door offer but instead a total solution

Kind regards

Geoff

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Geoff@HeyNow Hi-Fi said:

Hi MrC 

You should expect to pay $795 - $999 for a Lumagen Radiance Pro set up and calibration onto a single visual product.

The Lumagen listed prices have not increased with the announcement of this offer, This genuinely a free service provided to you - the end user for a period of time.

The offer I make is that there is no additional costs beyond the purchase of the Lumagen - unless you want to buy something else, like a better cable etc.

My recommendation is that, if interested SNA members send me a list of the products you have and I will give you a total figure for the Lumagen calibrated to the whole system.

No hidden extras, its not a foot in the door offer but instead a total solution

Kind regards

Geoff

Geoff .... I am a Lumagen Radiance Pro owner so I know exactly what the costs are.  I was making the point that clarity is required and you have done that with your subsequent posts.  You will of course notice the title of the thread and that perhaps the offer made within this thread was not technically the place to make this offer since people on this forum are often reminded to stick to the topic. 

35 minutes ago, MrC said:

Geoff .... I am a Lumagen Radiance Pro owner so I know exactly what the costs are.  I was making the point that clarity is required and you have done that with your subsequent posts.  You will of course notice the title of the thread and that perhaps the offer made within this thread was not technically the place to make this offer since people on this forum are often reminded to stick to the topic. 

Thanks MrC, 

I’ve chosen to post the offer in this thread as you and the others in this thread are the experts with hands on experience of the Lumagen products, if I was looking to buy a Lumagen I would look to the comments made by you all to make my wise and informed decision. I think this is the place to introduce an offer such as this to help others gain from your expertise  and passion. Who knows, others may join your thread as Lumagen owners. 
Sincerely 

Geoff 

Edited by Geoff@HeyNow Hi-Fi
  • Administrators
48 minutes ago, MrC said:

You will of course notice the title of the thread and that perhaps the offer made within this thread was not technically the place to make this offer since people on this forum are often reminded to stick to the topic. 

I agree. Now it's clarified, let's keep the sales discussions out of the Owners Thread.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Marc said:

I agree. Now it's clarified, let's keep the sales discussions out of the Owners Thread.

Thank you Marc.

• Thanks 1