Lumagen Owners & Discussion Thread

Just some follow up on the New .Radiance 5348. 

Starting to put quite a bit of time behind my New 5348 now, so this weekend i set up a little comparison with my Radiance 4242 .

Each Radiance is fed from a separate Oppo 203 , Each gets power from the Uptone Audio JS2 LPS......Each goes to Input 1 and Input 2 respectively on my Z1/RS4500. Audio from each of the Radiance Pro,s is to my NAD M17 V2 Processor.
Main Amp for the Wilson speakers is an Esoteric S-1 Grandioso.

I will start with VIDEO as that is the utmost importance to "me" .

Is there a "big" difference in Video performance between the 5348 and the 4242 ?? ...NO... Is there "any" difference in Video between the 5348 and the 4242 ??.... YES...

I absolutely see a reduction in image/video noise on the 5248 ! it certainly isn't "in your face" , but it "IS" there.

The other thing i am noticing is the increased "Fine" "Intricate" detail !
Detail in clothing such as woollen fibres on jumpers, texture on leather, stitching on suits , facial features , small fine text .. and many many more examples.
Backgrounds , distant objects have that added bit of clarity, which gives the impression of better focus.
I am thinking this is not a case of the 5348 "Adding" more detail than the 4242, BUT a case of the already present detail just being more readily apparent with the 5348 due to the reduced image/Video noise .

I will just add that i am "Extremely" sensitive to ANY image/Video noise......its a trait that i sometimes wish i didn't possess!

AUDIO....

This is easy.......

There is a noticeable difference in presentation between the 5348 and the 4242 ! The 5348 brings the soundstage to a more dynamic level than the 4242 ...its almost like a different EQ curve is applied.
The 4242 in basic terms sound "Flatter" slightly more "Laid back" in comparison to the 5348 .

In both cases of Audio / Video "IF" the 5348 wasn't present for a "Direct" comparison to the 4242, you would not be aware of the above.

A friend who was present today for the comparison is selling off his madVR Envy PRO and upgrading ( purchasing) my Radiance 4242 .

The 4242 has provided me with the best images i have ever had in my theatre, the 5348 just adds that little bit of "icing on the cake" .

Jim Peterson has done a wonderful job with the development of the Radiance Pro series . 

DSC_0175.jpgwww.jpg

DSC_0161.jpgwww.jpg

DSC_0167.jpgwww.jpg

DSC_0192.jpgwww.jpg

DSC_0195.jpgwww.jpg

DSC_0203.jpgwww.jpg

DSC_0446.jpgwww.jpg

• Like 2

From "thrang" over on AVS....      Mirrors my findings... ?

thrang

thrang

Premium Member

Joined Jun 10, 2005
7,454 Posts
I’ve been evaluating the new 5348 Radiance for a week now and wanted to post a few thoughts that might be helpful to others (my overall setup in my sig so will not repeat here)

As other have posted earlier, Jim likely undersold the performance of this new version of the Radiance - and given the hyperbolic nature of the proselytizing around some other products recently, I find this both wise and refreshing.

Content through the 5348 is providing better video and audio performance. It’s not a magnitudal (sic) improvement, but instead a clear refinement. For video, there is reduction of noisiness, most apparent in compressed live viewing (FuboTV); a calmer image I suppose. For 4k content from the Kaleidescape system, the improvement is more manifested in a bit sharper, and again, calmer image.

Audio, for me, presents the larger improvement - everything seems more tack-sharp. Subtle effects and soundtrack elements that I never really noticed before are more apparent. More room for things to breathe it seems.

I am also having repeatable success now with handshakes to my Sony 5000 projector, an issue I could never completely resolve with the 4xxx series without a HDMI fixer device in-between the two. There are menu commands for adjusting the output parameters (voltage) and output EQ, which Jim walked me through and appears to have helped.

Overall, I understand the redesign of the unit was to lower noise and reduce jitter as much as possible. To that end, it seems to align with the improvements I’m seeing.

It's also important to note that that are no differences between the 5xxx and 4xxx regarding color, greyscale, dynamic tone mapping, etc. The changes were for refinement and reduction of noise and jitter, and how that impacts sound and vision.

So then, is it worth it?

I’ve come to the mindset that that kind of question is often hard to answer when netting out evolutionary benefits given all the considerations:

• cost
  • perception of value
  • system capability
  • financial capacity
  • importance of maximum system performance

All these things juggle together with different weighting for different people. So the worth question is somewhat worthless...

For me, with my setup, I’m quite pleased to keep it in my rig. Very nice job by Jim...
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some Feedback on the 5348 from "Gordon Fraser"  ( Highly regarded UK Calibrator) 

Gordon Fraser

Gordon Fraser

Registered

Joined Dec 26, 1999
2,000 Posts
I put this on Uk forum today so thought i ought to share it here as well. I went for my first covid jab today and when i got home i found my office full of 5438 Radiance Pro's. Not all my back orders but a fair pile! So some lucky clients in UK and EU will be getting theirs over next week or so. Still waiting on more of the Keces P8's i've got on back order though.

Thought i'd share some other info with folk. I've not had a high quality video projector at home for several months as i had to loan out my own JVC to client who has been waiting on an N7/RS2000. So i've not been able to really look at how much of a difference the 5348 makes to video quality, only audio quality. About two weeks ago i did a calibration from an old client. It was arranged months ago, before the 5348 came out. He has an N9/rs3000. He asked me if i could bring a 4242 to show him even though he didn't think it would make any significant improvement to his N9. I agreed (to take one over) and when the 5348 came out he asked if i could bring one of them as well. So i did. i spent several hours doing the n9 calibration and then spent another few hours doing full LUT based calibration and set up of DTM with a 4242. I then loaded that config in to my 5348 so we could demo all three combinations. The customer was pleased with the calibration improvements and asked if he could play same clips he'd chosen with the 5348. We swapped over memories and presets in both devices and off we went. This was done with no sound, just looking at video and with no Keces supply. Just standard Lumagen. We swapped back after to check we weren't seeing things....His comment after we did it again..."Well, that wasn't subtle". I had to agree. I was surprised. The image looked sharper and more detailed, obviously. It was easily visible in his system. I asked if i could compare the two Radiance Pro's on the same material and we did that. The tone mapping and calibration improvements were obvious still with the 4242 over the N9 but again the image looked more detailed. He turned to me and asked,"You can see that too can't you?" I could. I'm now looking forward to getting out there to do some more demo's in a couple of weeks as i start to come out of my self imposed lock down. Hopefully the recipients of some of these 5348's may post their own findings when they get theirs.

Stay safe everyone!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some continuing feedback on the 5348 from "Gordon Fraser" and a few who have had it installed in their systems....                

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Couple of things to add to the thread. First off i installed another 5348 in to a system with an Arcam AV40 and Epson LS10000. Once again both myself and the client were surprised at the increase in video performance. Once i'd put it in and set it up, client had a 444x unit previously, we invited his wife to join us and we played some of her favourite pieces from the Hans Zimmer UHD disc. She noted the increased image and sound quality instantly. Which was luck for the client as she was not keen on him spending this sort of cash on a system that was already awesome....lol...

Classic2000

Classic2000

Standard Member
I’m the person with the AV40 and Epson L S 10000 that Gordon installed a Lumagen 5348 and keces LPS.

I first heard about the new lumagen when Gordon was over in early January to install the new firmware in the arcam which I bought from him a few months earlier and recalibrate the Dirac which I am pleased to say is now totally stable and bug free in my system and to me sounds awesome thanks to Dirac and Gordon’s skill and experience in setting it up.

As I only have a 7.2 system don’t own a trinnov or 4K projector I didn’t think it would make a big enough difference to justify the cost, a view heartily endorsed by my wife who thought that trying one out would be a waste of Gordon’s time and our money!

Anyway after exchanging a few emails with Gordon I asked him to order one for me with the proviso that if it didn’t really add much he would take it back.
Initially we checked out the video only and although there was a discernible improvement in sharpness and detail the most striking improvement was in the depth and three dimensionality of the image. It made an already good projector look really stunning!

When we switched on the audio we were equally impressed with even greater transparency increased fine detail an even sweeter top end and tighter bass.
After a few more excerpts from a few more discs it was time to call in my wife who is an experienced musician and chorister. One of her favourite discs is Hans Zimmer Live in Prague. After a few tracks she said that she could hear a significant improvement in the sound than before and that the picture looked sharper. A clip from the greatest showman clinched it for her.

Over the last week we have both watched a lot of films and we both continue to be amazed at what the new lumagen has added to our audio visual experience. So much so that my wife said “ you were right and I was wrong, this is a significant improvement that’s worth having!” Chalk that one up eh. That was worth the money if nothing else!!??

I’m sure that those of you with 4K projectors and the likes of trinnov will find the new lumagen 5348 irresistible!

Thanks again Gordon for coming through for me with yet another significant and worthwhile upgrade to my system as you have done consistently in the 13 years I have been one of your clients.?

And a quote.....?

Lots of older radiances going to appear for sale soon then...hehe

•  
Edited by wooferocau

• 4 weeks later...

Another Lumagen user that upgraded from his 4242 to the 5348 and is over the moon... ?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I’ve now had a chance to do some testing with the new lumagen. Firstly, massive thanks to @Gordon @ Convergent AV as per usual, great service!!

Ok, being honest I was pretty sceptical about the differences between the 4242 and the 5348. I thought, is it really worth the money? Will it really improve my audio? Even Jim Petersen had said you’d be unlikely to see the differences on video between the two.

So, why did I even bother buying one? Well, I had some budget out away for new speakers, but after testing some brands, I’ve decided to stick with my arendals as they certainly sound the best out of the ones I’ve tested......in other words, I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket!!

So how does the new 5348 stack up?

Video:

Obvious improvement over the 4242. This is even noticeable on the menu screens. Things are looking much sharper, brighter and the colours somehow look more solid.

When switching to movies, the limited testing in blu rays and 1080p show an amazing ability to upscale the image, the start of underwater for example, absolutely zero banding, amazing depth to the image, the underwater corridor looking like is disappears well beyond the start of my screen - basically it looks 3D. Massively reduced picture noise, the image just looks super clean.
Moving on to UHD discs, wow, the specular highlights and HDR grading is making me notice things I’d never seen before, even one scenes I’d seen loads of times. Clear definition between burning flames for example, being able to see each individual ones rather than just a collective. Amazing colour depth, zero noise, absolutely stunning colour accuracy. Everything just looks right. The start of quiet place, the image had always been good, but I wouldn’t put it down as reference as hit same some film grain in it, but the grain seems less obvious, I can even read the instructions on some of the medicines that AREN’T in shot....they’re in the background, but are crystal clear!!

Audio:

Audio is sometimes more of a difficult thing to judge, one persons nirvana isn’t necessarily great for the next person.

However, ever since I received the Zappiti, I’ve had an issue playing PCM audio, whichever route I try, the trinnov just doesn’t like the signal, I get only 2 channels in and never get any use of the centre channel. Trinnov have been trying to work it out, but can’t see any issue their end, so it just seemed like some sort of compatibility issue between the two units.

The 5348 is designed to clear up the digital noise within the audio signal, giving a better path through to the processor to work with the best source as possible.

I tested some FLAC and PCM audio last night, both of which weren’t working on Thursday when trinnov were on my unit for 2 hours. Well guess what? Not only it is working, it sound flipping phenomenal!!!

The above instance proves to me that the 5348 is now giving a better audio output signal to the trinnov to work with, this can only ever be a good thing and I’m now convinced everything will sound better and I’ve made a very wise purchase with the 5348.

Make no mistakes, this is a no expense spared video processor (with the keces power supply), but the results are obvious. For people thinking it is snake oil and all digital signals are the same, I can assure you that they aren’t!!
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. Have just got jvc nx7 and am considering adding lumagen. Is the free calibration and set up deal still in place. Apologies if this is wrong place to bring up. 

45 minutes ago, MTC08 said:

Hi all. Have just got jvc nx7 and am considering adding lumagen. Is the free calibration and set up deal still in place. Apologies if this is wrong place to bring up. 

Cant hurt to ask though it would seem to be somewhat superceded by this package vvv which I assume covers audio calibration as well  if interested ? Can say there has been a hi end distributorship change up recently..

Home Cinema Promotion - Cogworks Distribution

4 hours ago, Cogworks said:

Hi Colin,

Message sent to you regarding your enquiry :)

regards

Adrian

Thanks Adrian;  have sent a p.m.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A for effort, but for a review attempting to demonstrate the benefits and differences between two high end VP's,  the video (and audio) quality of the this YouTube clip is terrible 😖

Be great to see Lumagen or maybe even Cogworks (hint, hint) produce some marketing videos to demonstrate the benefits and improvements that can be had with these devices.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by xPLAYRZx
  • Like 2

From my time ( ownership)  with  both the 4242 and now my 5248 i can tell you whole heartedly that the 5348 is a VERY noticeable improvement in BOTH Audio and video.......its an awesome product!!   😊

• Like 1

On 03/06/2021 at 3:07 PM, wooferocau said:

From my time ( ownership)  with  both the 4242 and now my 5248 i can tell you whole heartedly that the 5348 is a VERY noticeable improvement in BOTH Audio and video.......its an awesome product!!   😊

In terms of audio  performance  with the 4 series  Lumagen , users can use their existing pre/pro or AVR for switching and send only the video signal to Lumagen for processing.  This means that audio will only go to the pre/pro and not through the Lumagen. This should negate any potential negative  issues that the 4 series  Lumagen might have with audio.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, TP1 said:

In terms of audio  performance  with the 4 series  Lumagen , users can use their existing pre/pro or AVR for switching and send only the video signal to Lumagen for processing.  This means that audio will only go to the pre/pro and not through the Lumagen. This should negate any potential negative  issues that the 4 series  Lumagen might have with audio. 

Yes very good point  ; as well as having less components in the audio line  letting your prepro handle any jitter [its only as good as your pre pro or avr] . Potentially more hdmi inputs saving money as well as updated hdmi 2.1 ports if you are getting an upgrade . Will the 4 series pass all the 2.1 gaming features ? Is a software or even firmware upgrade on the cards for 4k/120 and higher bandwidths ? 

Maybe better to just separate gaming to another input and video process afterwards 👌

3 hours ago, cwt said:

Yes very good point  ; as well as having less components in the audio line  letting your prepro handle any jitter [its only as good as your pre pro or avr] . Potentially more hdmi inputs saving money as well as updated hdmi 2.1 ports if you are getting an upgrade . Will the 4 series pass all the 2.1 gaming features ? Is a software or even firmware upgrade on the cards for 4k/120 and higher bandwidths ? 

Maybe better to just separate gaming to another input and video process afterwards 👌

Don't know about future upgrades but the latest 4 series HDMI have 18 Ghz capacity so there shouldn't be any problem with gaming performance.  In terms of future upgrades, you could pose that question to Cogworks or Lumagen.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TP1 said:

Don't know about future upgrades but the latest 4 series HDMI have 18 Ghz capacity so there shouldn't be any problem with gaming performance.  In terms of future upgrades, you could pose that question to Cogworks or Lumagen.

Thanks TPI ; the upgraded 18gbps card I see is perfect for the 40gbps bandwidth the xbox x puts out ; nothing else on the horizon that would need more and if that eventuates its a modular design for hdmi upgrades ..💪

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Balanced power supplies incorporated into Plixir cancel out common mode noise in the power lines. Common mode noise is present in all mains power  to varying degrees which is why I use a 5KVA Balanced power transformer from Airlink.   It powers   all source equipment, projector and linear power supplies for Lumagen etc - in fact everything except the power amps.   

IMG_7675.thumb.jpg.3728e7c565bb397702c43755e3903622.jpg

• Like 1

Just letting everyone know that in my Kraftwerk II Fixed output range of power supplies there now is a 

12v 6A version.

https://www.gieseler.com.au/product-page/kraftwerk-ii-fixed-output

These are very high performance power supplies using active synchronous rectification, iron core choke filtering & 

large Nichicon Gold Tune filter capacitors.

Cost is $650.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Just letting everyone know that in my Kraftwerk II Fixed output range of power supplies there now is a 

12v 6A version.

https://www.gieseler.com.au/product-page/kraftwerk-ii-fixed-output

These are very high performance power supplies using active synchronous rectification, iron core choke filtering & 

large Nichicon Gold Tune filter capacitors.

Cost is $650.

For MAC Minis? Also would be good for an Intel Nuc / Nucleus. 

Edited by deepthought

A friend, not in SNA, asked me about a LPSU for Lumagen.  Scrolling through the thread, I think it will add value?  Some questions and comments for Lumagen owners:

On 12/08/2020 at 10:10 PM, TP1 said:

Linear Power Supply 

I swapped out the standard switch mode power supply (SMPS)  for a high quality LPS  ( that I used for audio) and the improvements for both audio and video  were immediately noticeable.  In Europe the Keces PSU is sometimes sold with Lumagen but I used an Uptone audio JS-2 expertly modified by @Doncentric using custom designed and manufactured transformer and choke from Hashimoto in Japan together with Epcos Sikorel capacitors.   The same PSU  has made quite dramatic improvements to a Mac mini being used as source as well as 12V powered media players although it doesn't have the juice to operate  a high powered HTPC.   

I do not know much about LPSUs, but I suspect those mods made a big difference.  I know it may not be easy to answer, but would you have been happy with a standard JS2?

On 30/09/2020 at 8:19 PM, Mobe1969 said:

Yeah I'm interested in linear PSUs too. Is it possible to have an external one that you run say a Lumagen and oppo off of, or that would defeat the purpose?

Did you end up getting one? If so, what?

On 27/10/2020 at 6:23 PM, Marc said:

I'm looking at getting a PLiXiR 12V6A PS organised for mine.

I assume you are now using it in your setup.  Any feedback?

On 28/10/2020 at 6:05 PM, wooferocau said:

Audio......a definite improvement in dynamics .

Video..... the already "clean" image from the Lumagen is improved a step further......cleaner image with  improvements to fine detail.  

There will be many sceptics that will dismiss the idea of a Linear PSU bringing any improvements  ,  but i DO NOT care .........i am very very  happy with the outlay/results  on the Linear PSU...

Good to know standard JS2 performs well...