Lumagen Owners & Discussion Thread

23 hours ago, Marc said:

I'm looking at getting a PLiXiR 12V6A PS organised for mine.

Let us know your thoughts on any improvement @wooferocau

Hi Mark,

Initial impressions are very positive! ?

Audio......a definite improvement in dynamics .

Video..... the already "clean" image from the Lumagen is improved a step further......cleaner image with  improvements to fine detail.  

There will be many sceptics that will dismiss the idea of a Linear PSU bringing any improvements  ,  but i DO NOT care .........i am very very  happy with the outlay/results  on the Linear PSU... 

For interest sake......  Jim Peterson himself  acknowledged  the "Possible" benefits of an "Analogue"  ( Linear) PSU when used with the Radiance Pro...?

• Like 2

Although the video source and processing is all digital,  the actual electrical signal that travels to the projector and audio processor  is still analog.  That is to say that digital signals transmitted electrically are a series of analog electrical voltage pulses.  A cleaner electrical signal will  ordinarily result in less potential for errors and jitter  that  would otherwise be caused from electrical noise being transmitted from the SMPS. 

Lumagen  is very good at cleaning up the video signal anyway  but the improvements from  a decent LPSU  are there . 

Anyone here have any electronic masking solutions setup with their lumagen? I'm due to get a lumagen (deposit paid) and my CIH scoped screen has electronic masking with a remote & sensor. So far I've been told it should work with Control4 system or perhaps via a scripted program using a raspberry Pi4 using IR control.

I'm more interested in the latter but happy to know of other possible solutions. 

Or maybe just have the screen setup as always 2.35:1 and get the lumagen to scale 16:9/Imax material to scoped. Anyone doing this, if so how does it look?

Note: I have a ISCO IIIL anamorphic lens in this setup.

46 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

My Telos Audio 4mtr Power cable arrived .... this is used with the Up-Tone Audio JS-2 PSU feeding the Lumagen.....

"Loving" the results of this combo .....?

I haven't played with power cables yet - I think this is going to cost me!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hifiman said:

Or maybe just have the screen setup as always 2.35:1 and get the lumagen to scale 16:9/Imax material to scoped. Anyone doing this, if so how does it look?

I have a 2.35:1 screen and have tried the Lumagen non-linear scaling to fill the screen.  While it does work  and some love it, I still prefer the standard 16x9  with black bars at the sides.  Also with  a number of TV shows streaming in 1.85:1 and sometimes larger, I get good results by automating different zoom positions to maximise the picture size on the screen.

6 hours ago, wooferocau said:

My Telos Audio 4mtr Power cable arrived .... this is used with the Up-Tone Audio JS-2 PSU feeding the Lumagen.....

"Loving" the results of this combo .....?

Woofer you are dangerous! I have to start ignoring your posts soon haha. Beautiful cables to go with your new LPS

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TP1 said:

I have a 2.35:1 screen and have tried the Lumagen non-linear scaling to fill the screen.  While it does work  and some love it, I still prefer the standard 16x9  with black bars at the sides.  Also with  a number of TV shows streaming in 1.85:1 and sometimes larger, I get good results by automating different zoom positions to maximise the picture size on the screen.

Yup since i already have the electric horizontal masking working I think I'm already halfway there, just need to work out a way to automate it for scoped vs 16:9 content. 

11 hours ago, hifiman said:

Yup since i already have the electric horizontal masking working I think I'm already halfway there, just need to work out a way to automate it for scoped vs 16:9 content. 

What brand. of screen and masking system do you have?

• Like 1

On 31/10/2020 at 11:33 AM, TP1 said:

What brand. of screen and masking system do you have?

It's an LP Morgan Novares fixed frame screen that came with their own custom side masking solution (LP Morgan Galleria Eclipse). Works pretty well. 

I think it's a unity gain screen but I'll be swapping the material with a studiotek G4 material soon. 

2 hours ago, hifiman said:

It's an LP Morgan Novares fixed frame screen that came with their own custom side masking solution (LP Morgan Galleria Eclipse). Works pretty well. 

I think it's a unity gain screen but I'll be swapping the material with a studiotek G4 material soon. 

Thanks for that - I've been struggling to find side-masking options. 

• 3 weeks later...

Correct.  The auto translate on this one isn't the best, you're right.  What I liked about this video is it's refreshing to actually see footage of the Lumagen at work, with on/off comparisons, something I feel is missing from Lumagen own marketing material.  As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Currently in Beta , BUT official release VERY shortly.... ?

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/new-lumagen-radiance-pro-series.2172017/post-60318325

jrp

jrp

Registered

Joined Jan 7, 2003
1,670 Posts
Concerning the next update with even more improvement for the already spectacular DTM:

We are close to the next big release.

This release improves the "back and forth" scenes cuts which were difficult. Pat said the second time the same scene shows in a number of the cases actually does have different levels. The DTM was over emphasizing the difference, but Pat has found ways to adjust the DTM algorithm to keep the back and forth scenes as close as possible.

There were also a few scenes that had other issues. One type of scene I know about had enough areas with bright objects to fool our zone-based analysis. Pat redesigned the zone analysis, which improved these scenes.

I just discussed timeframe for the next release with Patrick. He said he is working on a couple additional scenes and thinks we can post the next release this weekend.

======

Usage comment for the upcoming release:

As we have seen in the past changing the algorithms can also change the recommended defaults. Let me first say that the current recommendations (Max Light = 4 to 6 times measured light in nits, Dyn Pad = 2, Low-ratio = 31) still work well. That said, I am planning to change my settings slightly based on viewing the results of DTM for this upcoming release.

Max Light: I have been at 5x (400 for a measured max of 78 nits) for our Lumagen Demo Theater RS4500. With the new release I prefer setting Max Light 6x measured max. This helped with some bright details (e.g. Mad Max: Fury Road sand storm scene explosions).

Dyn Pad: We changed to a recommendation of 2 (from 5 to 6) a while back. This was due to changes in the algorithm allowing the scene headroom to be reduced. The effect of Dyn Pad changes slightly in the upcoming release. In my viewing, IMO the Dyn Pad of 2 seems to reduce the headroom slightly from the previous release. Patrick said there were not intentional changes to the Dyn Pad headroom, but he said he did change the MaxCLL effect on calculations He said this could affect Dyn Pad. Dyn Pad of 2 still looks great for most scenes but one scene I found where I wanted a higher Dyn Pad was "The Meg" in the "Hatch scene" with the red haze in the hatch (this is in teh first couple minutes of the movie). For this scene I ended up preferring Dyn Pad = 5. I also found I preferred Dyn Pad = 5 for Mad Max, and for several other title. The difference in scene brightness between 2 nd 5 seems less to me, and I saw more bright detail changing Dyn Pad to 5.

I should note that I already have discussed this with Pro owners using the current release and suggested Dyn Pad = 5 in some cases. So this is not entirely new. Dyn Pad remains a trade-off between higher scene brightness (=2) and more detail in very bright objects (=5). This has not changed, but my preference has. I am currently thinking I will set Dyn Pad = 5 for the upcoming release. So, my recommendation is try 2, 3, 4, and 5 for Dyn Pad over a lot of material and then select your preference.

I am not changing Low Ratio or DeSat settings for this new release.

I hope this is helpful to everyone and that I have not opened a can of worms as my posts sometimes do.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen, Inc.

• 1 month later...

jrp

jrp

Registered

Joined Jan 7, 2003
1,717 Posts
#10,645  
Lumagen, Inc. is excited to announce the latest addition to the Radiance Pro family of 4k video processors, the Radiance Pro 5348. The Radiance Pro 5348 takes the ultimate video processor to the next level by minimizing output-jitter and electrical noise. The Radiance Pro 5348 has ten 18 GHz inputs, two 18 GHz outputs, and one audio-only output, in a 1U case. This is a fixed configuration.

Rather than go into details here, I have written a white-paper on the new Radiance Pro 5348 and it is attached to this post.

I am sure there will be questions, but I tried to over the most likely ones in the FAQ in this introduction paper. Please feel free to post questions, or email them to support at Lumagen (.com).

Attachments

Radiance Pro 5348 Introduction.pdf

• Like 1

A unique solution for the poor integration of video clocks controlling audio with tmds  in the regular hdmi "standard" :) not to mention the different interpretations of ce's as to what their hdmi ports interact with properly.

Much better having a high precision clock timing things locally . Hopefully the full gamut of  2.1 features like VRR/QFT for gaming will get a firmware upgrade ; the higher resolutions like 4k 120hz can wait..  Very clever differentiating this model from the competition ; some of the jitter figures on ASR dont inspire confidence in design ?

It seems there is still development happening with this unit  particularly in relation to LAN interface.  Ultimately it would be great to see  netwok based control via an APP.

I'd also be interested to see how the picture differs with the current model that uses a Linear power supply.

5 hours ago, TP1 said:

It seems there is still development happening with this unit  particularly in relation to LAN interface.  Ultimately it would be great to see  netwok based control via an APP.

I'd also be interested to see how the picture differs with the current model that uses a Linear power supply.

I will be doing a direct comparison between my 5348 and my 4242 in the very near future.. 

Edited by wooferocau

On 28/01/2021 at 3:08 PM, wooferocau said:

I will be doing a direct comparison between my 5348 and my 4242 in the very near future.. 

You don't waste any time!  I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on the comparison.

Edited by TP1

Just some initial feedback on the New 5348...   

So far i am very very much liking what i see......YES what i see...... ☺️

The current 4*** series ( mine being a 4242) has provided the "Cleanest" most "Natural" looking image that i have ever had in my theatre.........and i have owned and used VP,s such as madVR HTPC   , madVR Envy Extreme ........and Envy PRO.

The NEW 5348 for me just set the bar again !!   I am noticing and improvement even over the superb 4**** series in slightly less image noise AND increased  detail ...particularly "Fine" "intricate" detail !!  I assure you it is real and NOT just  "wishful thinking" or "Hype".

I haven't as yet assessed the AUDIO side of the 5348 as i have been to engrossed in the  video analysis .

Audio is next on the list...

At this moment in time IMO....... "IF" you want the a absolute pinnacle in image performance via a video processor ......the 5348 is it..... ☺️    

More to come......

• Like 7