Lumagen Owners & Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yeah I'm interested in linear PSUs too. Is it possible to have an external one that you run say a Lumagen and oppo off of, or that would defeat the purpose?

Good question ; this bloke likes individual ones it seems [and for his oppo203]:)

https://audiobacon.net/2018/06/29/linear-power-supplies-for-audiophiles-getting-closer-to-live/

1 hour ago, cwt said:

Good question ; this bloke likes individual ones it seems [and for his oppo203]:)

https://audiobacon.net/2018/06/29/linear-power-supplies-for-audiophiles-getting-closer-to-live/

Yes, @wooferocau mentioned it on the Oppo thread I believe. I was wondering though rather than piecemeal modding (and voiding warranty) on a lot of devices if you could do it.  I guess not for this. The Lumagen has an external PSU doesn't it, so the linear PSU replaces that?

It is kind of falling into something I was wanting to do, and that is rationalize all of the DCS power supplies to various av devices, so have an external linear PSU you could feed the Lumagen, and other DC devices. So you may need different voltage outputs etc. I guess for the oppo tchnically you could then mod it to bypass the AC input and cable up to the DC side of it from the external LPSU. DC Power packs in the AV area are a bit of a mess to be honest!

6 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yes, @wooferocau mentioned it on the Oppo thread I believe. I was wondering though rather than piecemeal modding (and voiding warranty) on a lot of devices if you could do it.  I guess not for this. The Lumagen has an external PSU doesn't it, so the linear PSU replaces that?

It is kind of falling into something I was wanting to do, and that is rationalize all of the DCS power supplies to various av devices, so have an external linear PSU you could feed the Lumagen, and other DC devices. So you may need different voltage outputs etc. I guess for the oppo tchnically you could then mod it to bypass the AC input and cable up to the DC side of it from the external LPSU. DC Power packs in the AV area are a bit of a mess to be honest!

Theres maybe a work around with daisychained ultracap 1.2's ? This is the sort of psu upgrade that Ayre would love?

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1-2

There has never been a power supply like this before!  The UltraCap LPS-1.2 will elevate the performance of whatever component you power with it.

[The adventurous could even purchase two units and hook their outputs up in series, with each one set to either the same or a different voltage—making possible 10/14/16/17/18/19/24V! ; An even more interesting application would be for a DIY hobbyist to use two units harnessed together and center-tapped to produce a pure and isolated bi-polar (+ & -) supply for audio circuit use.]

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cwt said:

Theres maybe a work around with daisychained ultracap 1.2's ? This is the sort of psu upgrade that Ayre would love?

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1-2

Ideally a box like that with multiple outputs of selectable voltage so it has say 6 dc outputs you could choose voltage. And ideally one with a decent torroidal transformer in it like say this

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/138258/Musical_Surroundings-24V_Linear_Charging_Power_Supply-Power_Cords

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/js-2-linear-power-supply

I'm pretty sure those oppo linear PSUs have multiple voltage outputs to the oppo, so technically you could but one of those and put it in a case and take other outputs, so long as the rating high enough.

EDIT: OK after more research, the oppo internals are multi voltage, and amperage wouldn't be enough to power Lumagen also...

BUT, there are it seems plenty of multi output linear DC power supplied out there. If they are single torroidal/AC stage ground loops may be an issues if powering audio gear (https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/blogs/articles/75817348-hi-end-audio-dc-power-supply-with-multiple-voltage-outputs-architecture-and-design) but should be fine for non audio. I actually REALLY need a linear PSU for my miniDSP (it does suffer visibly from power supply noise), and when/if I get a Lumagen I'd like one for that. So the Lumagen is 12V 5A center positive, 5.5/2.1mm, the miniDSP is 12V .3A 5.5/2.1mm center positive, so something like this would do the trick: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001480398971.html

I guess it depends how much you want to spend / improvement really. I've seen high end ones for just the Lumagen (see FidelityAudio in the UK)

OK here is a dual AC 12v 5A https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001026887809.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.c8cf58f8MWxMRj&algo_pvid=edce1a48-3593-41d0-bb1d-f7afdfb76563&algo_expid=edce1a48-3593-41d0-bb1d-f7afdfb76563-2&btsid=0bb0624516015877246881203eabb3&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Edited by Mobe1969
  • Like 1

For comparison purposes I used a still frame in a  1080  streaming video on Apple TV. 

This image is with standard SMPS

SMPS

Next Image was with Linear PSU in place.

IMG_0193.thumb.jpg.7b08c9bceef005de37b84efc7e2084e5.jpg

Differences are more noticeable with video running but essentially colour  seems  better saturated and rendered with Linear PSU and contrast a touch better too.  On the big screen, the  green and red looked more realistic.

I use the same LPSU  to power  Lumagen and Zappiti.  

• Like 1

1714293392_IMG_69002.thumb.jpg.0a3e95b03bbb7005ec4e598f86580354.jpg

1513235142_IMG_68992.thumb.jpg.f93a646488972406d02f5cc94dbc9457.jpg

Modifications to the JS-2  PSU are custom made transformer and choke by Hashimoto Transformer Co in Japan  plus upgraded capacitors.   These mods were done for audio purposes and I don't know if they make any difference to the picture.   From my experience  with audio use,  the choke and speed of the PSU were the primary reasons that this PSU performed so well. 

14 minutes ago, TP1 said:

1714293392_IMG_69002.thumb.jpg.0a3e95b03bbb7005ec4e598f86580354.jpg

1513235142_IMG_68992.thumb.jpg.f93a646488972406d02f5cc94dbc9457.jpg

Modifications to the JS-2  PSU are custom made transformer and choke by Hashimoto Transformer Co in Japan  plus upgraded capacitors.   These mods were done for audio purposes and I don't know if they make any difference to the picture.   From my experience  with audio use,  the choke and speed of the PSU were the primary reasons that this PSU performed so well. 

Thankyou......my order will be going in very shortly....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Thankyou......my order will be going in very shortly....

I don't know if you run any other  DC powered gear in your setup, but the linear PSU makes an even bigger difference  for the likes of media players like Dune & Zappiti  as well as  streamers like  Roku.  It also has the juice to power  both devices  simultaneously.  You will just need to order an extra DC output cable if its needed. 

12 minutes ago, TP1 said:

I don't know if you run any other  DC powered gear in your setup, but the linear PSU makes an even bigger difference  for the likes of media players like Dune & Zappiti  as well as  streamers like  Roku.  It also has the juice to power  both devices  simultaneously.  You will just need to order an extra DC output cable if its needed. 

So the Lumagen connector is 5.5/2.1mm center pos?

Also note that article I posted. For dual outputs, ideally you should have dual ac transformers from a noise perspective.

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/blogs/articles/75817348-hi-end-audio-dc-power-supply-with-multiple-voltage-outputs-architecture-and-design

I have ordered a cheap low power single one for my miniDSP just to see the effect. Something I can easily measure the effect without additional hardware.

I will get one for the lumagen and oppo too eventually.

19 minutes ago, TP1 said:

Nice info TPI thanks ; makes me happy i bought a zappiti duo rather than the pro as a seperate lpsu has better isolation:)

1 hour ago, Mobe1969 said:

So the Lumagen connector is 5.5/2.1mm center pos?

Also note that article I posted. For dual outputs, ideally you should have dual ac transformers from a noise perspective.

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/blogs/articles/75817348-hi-end-audio-dc-power-supply-with-multiple-voltage-outputs-architecture-and-design

I have ordered a cheap low power single one for my miniDSP just to see the effect. Something I can easily measure the effect without additional hardware.

I will get one for the lumagen and oppo too eventually.

A group of us spent a couple of years all up in buying, building and testing linear PSUs for audio.    There are so many theories  on how to  do this but the proof is in the  actual performance.  For digital audio you can hear differences in speed between PSU's - for example  whether a drum  hits  hard or if it sounds  rounded off by comparison.  That speed seems to translate into overall accuracy as well .  

You don't often see choke modified linear PSU's for a couple of reasons.  Apart from  cost and complexity , a lot of choke PSU designs are for vacuum tube amplifiers which are not normally associated with speed.  The beauty of John Swenson's design is that he has added the purifying aspects of the choke design without sacrificing speed.

But then who knows where it can end?    This Taiko music server starts life as an Asus motherboard and is sold for over $40K 

144592117_TaikoAudioSGMExtremeEntireInsi

Edited by TP1
typo

52 minutes ago, TP1 said:

I think mine is 2.5mm centre positive plug.

Argh. Odd given ever single other website I've checked says 2.1mm,

I'll wait until my lumagen arrives and check myself. I don't want to preemptively get the wrong one. It'd be lovely 8f the people that make these incredibly expensive devices just went the extra mm and put information like this on their website. I gue# when you only make $thousands$ from each sale, providing useful information is costly...

Edited by Mobe1969

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

I gue# when you only make $thousands$ from each sale, providing useful information is costly...

Sheesh, tough crowd. What have Lumagen done to offend you so much to make a comment like that?

I would not think that the mm pin size of their DC plug would be something that any manufacturer would consider 'useful information' to be included in standard published specifications. I bet one simple email to Lumagen to ask this very specific question would get you a very quick answer though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Odd given ever single other website I've checked says 2.1mm,

It may well be 2.1mm. I am using a 2.5mm plug which often works with a 2.1mm  socket but not vice versa.  I'll have to locate my 2.1mm lead and check to be sure..

Ok.  The Lumagen DC socket does in fact have a 2.1 mm centre pin.  Apologies for any confusion.  

IMG_6903.thumb.jpg.c6ec3d39e5a653ab5af1e110239f4130.jpg

The Lumagen plug is in the centre and  with a 2.1mm plug on the right and 2.5mm on the left.   I have been using the 2.5mm  ( because it worked) but the  2.1 mm is a more snug fit.   

Lumagen's attention to detail in their design extends to the DC plug as well. Notice the extended insulator on the Lumagen plug? This is to prevent short circuits when  connecting the plug when the power is live.  It is a small detail but I and a couple of others I know of have experienced shorts when live swapping leads .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marc said:

Sheesh, tough crowd. What have Lumagen done to offend you so much to make a comment like that?

I would not think that the mm pin size of their DC plug would be something that any manufacturer would consider 'useful information' to be included in standard published specifications. I bet one simple email to Lumagen to ask this very specific question would get you a very quick answer though.

"Good thinking, 99" (Get Smart throwback).

Got a response. 12VDC 5A with a 5.5 x 2.1mm center positive.

• Like 1

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates
FW 092320
Posted 10520
Added sharpening enhancement feature which can be accessed in menu under Input: In Configs: RES: Enhance (or with right arrow).
Has level setting from 0-7 (7 being extreme sharpening) and a sensitivity setting which can be set to High or Norm (the High setting avoids sharpening low level changes).
You can also access sharpening with right arrow command if you set the option under Other: I/O Setup: Remote Ctl: R/Left arrows option for this.
Several improvements in FPGA have improved pixel precision especially for 1080 being upscaled to 4k.
Fix for DTM with some fast scene changes causing distracting color change (problem originally seem in Umbrella Academy with bright clouds in background).
Fix for menu command to reset all settings except CMS.
Fix for being unable to copy input settings to virtual inputs.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at support@lumagen.com .
Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware.

• Like 3