Would you buy a 4 month old amp bought from Korea?

noisuf

Hi everyone, I'm in a quandary and would love your advice.

I'm looking at starting my 2ch journey by getting an int amp.

The cheapest (was a great deal) it has sold for is around $2000 in the classifieds. One advertised for $2900 was sold. Both Aus stock. Not that many pop up though.

I can get one for an ok price (slightly less than the $2900), only 4 months old but has been bought in Korea.

I'm in two minds because it won't be warranted in Australia. Korea warranty is only 1 year. Also have heard that it will be hard to fix by authorised repairers down the road as it will be considered as a grey import?

Lastly, I think the resale value especially through SNA would be less being not Australian stock.

On the flipside, I was really looking forward to hearing and owning this amp soon....so the impatience is shining through. Lol

Edited by noisuf

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sth Korea is 220V / 60Hz. If the amp is optimised for 220V you'll be running the valves too hot. If the power transformer is specced only for 60Hz it may also run hot.

I thought the same too. But the Oz and Korea are same voltage rated at 230V.

11 minutes ago, eman said:

A lot of minus points there and a lot of other amps around to think about for just getting in to 2 Channel.

Yeah. Just a matter of time...... it's my patience that is the real enemy. Lol. Hegel H190 would be great but much more $$$$

15 minutes ago, noisuf said:

I thought the same too. But the Oz and Korea are same voltage rated at 230V.

I think Aus is rated at 230+/- 10%, but my experience is that it's generally delivered in the range 240- 250 in practice, YMMV. ?

Dunno about Korea

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tripitaka said:

I think Aus is rated at 230+/- 10%, but my experience is that it's generally delivered in the range 240- 250 in practice, YMMV. ?

Dunno about Korea

It's so strange, i even downloaded the Korean manual and said 220V in specs. But photo of the rear at the plug does show its 230V rated....so same as the one sold in Aus which is 230V.

Hhhhhhhmmmmmmmm. ??

1 minute ago, tripitaka said:

Of course I meant specc'd, not 'rated' ?

Anyway, you're forgoing the warranty doing it this way, which is ok if the price reflects that, but unless ur certain that you'll keep it long term, I'd definitely buy local for resale value 

The current plan is to keep it long term or my CFO will kill me. I have a set budget to get the amp and replacement front....and to be honest, I'm probably 10% over which isn't too bad lol

The price doesn't really reflect it to be honest....which doesn't make the decision easier....just means I could get it sooner.

I'll see what his lowest is....lowest low...

10 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

Sounds like 'famous last words' to me ha!

If you can keep an amp for a year, you'll be doing better than most on this forum ?

Haha.... being so early in my journey, I have no idea.

I need these owners to get itchy for upgrades to sell me their amp. Lol

43 minutes ago, noisuf said:

Haha.... being so early in my journey, I have no idea.

I need these owners to get itchy for upgrades to sell me their amp. Lol

No shortage of good gear coming along here.

Hell, you could post a WTB if you can't wait.

• Like 1

does posting this quetion hoping someone will support it really mean that you don't want to buy it, general concensus seems to be , wait, something else will come up and you will be glad you didn't pull the trigger

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eman said:

No shortage of good gear coming along here.

Hell, you could post a WTB if you can't wait.

Yeah, I've decided to skip the deal. WTB ad is up. ?

1 hour ago, wen said:

does posting this quetion hoping someone will support it really mean that you don't want to buy it, general concensus seems to be , wait, something else will come up and you will be glad you didn't pull the trigger

To be honest, I was really in 2 minds. Amp is so new so should be ok now. Only 2 things that really had me thinking twice was who would I get to fix it if something went wrong later and the resale value if I get the.upgrade bug as I have been warned. ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

Can I ask why you have your heart so set on a Denon PMA2500NE?

?

Hey @tripitaka, of course you can ask. I'm always open to being given more ideas and suggestions. ?

Others in the mix would also include the Hegel H190 or the Moon 340i with the D2PX module but a little out my price range.

Reasons for the Denon:

- Reviews very well and SNA members rate it

- Under-rated in specs and can drive almost any speaker with it's high current

- Would love a DAC inbuilt for simplicity, with USB-B input

- Need HT bypass

1 minute ago, noisuf said:

Hey @tripitaka, of course you can ask. I'm always open to being given more ideas and suggestions. ?

Others in the mix would also include the Hegel H190 or the Moon 340i with the D2PX module but a little out my price range.

Reasons for the Denon:

- Reviews very well and SNA members rate it

- Under-rated in specs and can drive almost any speaker with it's high current

- Would love a DAC inbuilt for simplicity, with USB-B input

- Need HT bypass

Fair enough, inbuilt dac plus HT bypass does narrow the field!

Still, $6 RRP (even adjusted for secondhand) is still substantial and would open up further possibilities if you considered a standalone dac (which might have HT bypass itself).

Anyway, best wishes with your search...

1 hour ago, noisuf said:

I considered at maybe a Topping D90 (no HT bypass though) or Gieseler DAC with a Halcro MC20 amp combo. Open to ideas to be honest.

While there is much to be said for simlifying one's system, I have failed miserably at this ?

and mainly coz I want the ability to try out one element at a time when considering upgrading, arguably a more precise and less confusing method. The counter argument is that the extra interconnects will reduce quailty (and add cost).

Either way, you may as well assume that you will be upgrading something before long, as we all pretty much can't help it ?

41 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

While there is much to be said for simlifying one's system, I have failed miserably at this ?

and mainly coz I want the ability to try out one element at a time when considering upgrading, arguably a more precise and less confusing method. The counter argument is that the extra interconnects will reduce quailty (and add cost).

Either way, you may as well assume that you will be upgrading something before long, as we all pretty much can't help it ?

Lol, I might go for the Denafrips to start with, whilst looking for the integrated.