TIDAL Discussion Thread

I've been a big fan of Tidal lossles streaming service for a few months now. My VPN has been allowing me access to it's not yet available in Australia content. I was curious to see a countdown on their FB feed this morning...  Now I see that DAR Australia is on the case too... http://australia.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/03/tidal-hifi-lossless-streaming-coming-to-australia-next-week/ Could it be? Can I ditch my VPN?

@ ?

Cheers,

LF :)

Edited by ferchersan
  • Like 1

Sounds promising, depending on pricing...TBO I'm very happy with my digital library ripped from my CD's at WAV quality, and Spotify (paid), TuneInRadio (free) and Pandora (free) for lower quality streaming.  All works very well for me, but would be happy to swap Spotify for Tidal if the pricing is similar...

Great to have options these days...  ;)

@@Kaynin I'm paying US$19.99 per month. With the current exchange rate it cost me $26.30 last month. I have been tempted to ditch Spotify, but I can't currently download the Tidal mobile app from the Australian itunes store. If I had Tidal on my mobile device Spotify would become redundant to me. I still use Soundcloud and TuneInRadio myself.

Cheers,

• Like 1

@@Kaynin I'm paying US$19.99 per month. With the current exchange rate it cost me $26.30 last month. I have been tempted to ditch Spotify, but I can't currently download the Tidal mobile app from the Australian itunes store. If I had Tidal on my mobile device Spotify would become redundant to me. I still use Soundcloud and TuneInRadio myself.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info.  I pay $AUD12 p.m. for Spotify, so the cost would double if pricing was kept the same, or you'd imagine at least $AUD20 p.m. - would seriously consider it for $20, 25 million songs according to JHD, which is stacks...

How's the user interface?

Now, I can buy that streamer I have been looking at. I wasn't willing to buy one until tidal came along and have just been using basic Spotify to find new music to buy,but not than playing it through my system/s.

Meridian last week put out a software update that integrated Tidal into the Sooloos streaming system. It also came with a free three month Tidal trial offer for Meridian users. So far I have not taken it up due to the need for VPN. Will be real interested if it does become available to Oz users.

More interesting will be Tidal's commitment to MQA coding for lossless streaming. It's still unclear to me whether a future free software update will give me MQA playback or if I will need a hardware upgrade like everyone else.

https://www.meridian-audio.com

Yippee - and at 19.99 a month. 

I really wonder why I need any physical media anymore. What a collection, and the quality is superb. Curing my insomnia with some Teresa Berganza.

Now for a really good all in one unit.

Edited by Tom.Stopforth

@@hyper that works out as being cheaper than doing it on the sly with a VPN. As I said earlier, I paid $26.30 last month. That's fair pricing. Apple should take note!

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ferchersan
  • Like 1

Good morning all,

I have just downloaded the Tidal mobile app. It looks nice. I've set up a playlist for today. My Spotify account has just been cancelled. :thumb:

Cheers,

So are you still going through a VPN Leigh (@ferchersan) ?

I have a de-activated account I was using a VPN with and would prefer to re-activate as an Oz user as I plan to play Tidal via my SBT. Using a VPN for this is another layer of complexity I would like to avoid. Can't seem to re-activate ATM to find out what my options are.

Interested to see how well the Tidal (ickstream) plugin works on SBT. Hopefully can access 'My Favourites'. Inability to access saved 'Albums' through the Triode Spotify plugin for the SBT was an annoying limitation for me.

Pretty easy setup. Up and running in minutes on phone and Mac mini. Needed Kate's Adobe Flash. I am listening to some Nils Frahm at the moment whilst downloading Chrome because that is the only browser that supports FLAC or what they call HIFI Playback.

• Like 1

@@adamg I have a VPN subscription for another two months, then I will switch to a local account. I'm not sure about streaming facilities, but I have read that the Bluesound app could be the what you're looking for

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk