TIDAL Discussion Thread

52 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

I’ve been away for work with no phone reception and the equivalent of dial up Wi-Fi for close to 9 weeks.
I’ve come home wanted to reconnect my tidal account but I think the $10 extra is a rip.

Im not in the habit paying for what I am not going to use.

If you are, I’m more than happy to give you my details and maybe you can help me out with payment.. ??

Nah, I’ll pass mate ?

I have done the free trial of Tidal HiFi and enjoyed the quality for focused listening sessions. However, I use streaming for background, bluetooth speakers and out and about listening, so Tidal standard is more than enough for me. What I havent been able to accept is the doubling of the price ($12 to $24) to go from a very good productto a great product.

15 minutes ago, zenikoy said:

I have done the free trial of Tidal HiFi and enjoyed the quality for focused listening sessions. However, I use streaming for background, bluetooth speakers and out and about listening, so Tidal standard is more than enough for me. What I havent been able to accept is the doubling of the price ($12 to $24) to go from a very good productto a great product.

i thought the same the first time i signed up so i compared standard Tidal to uncompressed music on my computer via audirvana and yes the is a difference but nothing major. the music is still there. 

2 hours ago, jim13 said:

Spend thousands on equipment, gods knows how much on vinyl or whatever you use, and Tidal is too much? you can’t  buy a carton of beer for what it costs , rant over.

The equipment you spend thousands on last for years, maybe decades. A $50 record you buy can last for a century or more. Even at the cheapest rate of $25 a month you're paying $300 a year. Ten years of that and it's $3000 for something ephemeral that you never own. Seems like a rip off to me especially when you consider the pittance that the performers are paid.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hergest said:

The equipment you spend thousands on last for years, maybe decades. A $50 record you buy can last for a century or more. Even at the cheapest rate of $25 a month you're paying $300 a year. Ten years of that and it's $3000 for something ephemeral that you never own. Seems like a rip off to me especially when you consider the pittance that the performers are paid.

The flip side to this is that Tidal will actually save you money in the long run, by confirming it is worth purchasing first, and you can still enjoy those albums that just don’t make it to an actual purchase.

36 minutes ago, awayward said:

The flip side to this is that Tidal will actually save you money in the long run, by confirming it is worth purchasing first, and you can still enjoy those albums that just don’t make it to an actual purchase.

Which is exactly why I only use Spotify Free.

I never get ads on the desktop version and since I am 100% into physical media, I only use it to audition new music and to sort out what to buy and what to avoid.

I do understand that for some people that streaming platforms are their main source of music and in that case, it is probably worth 80 cents per day for Tidal and 40 cents per day for Spotify Premium.

5 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

Hmmm, I’m using an Apple phone and trying to pay through the phone app.

Happened to me as well. It is an Apple rip off. I cancelled and opened a new account with a different email.  Just make sure you go through using google chrome or Microsoft Explorer. Once you have the new account log into the app. That’s why Apple is worth so much. 

Edited by PKay

This is the same pricing I recall its always been. I had a family plan and that was the price.  I moved to Spotify because I found the experience better and the family preferred it, Family plan there only $17.99.  Separate thread that discussion though!

I've got a mate who has a family plan on Tidal and graciously included me in his family so I have Tidal again. 

If you have anyone that uses Tidal as a family plan see if you can take a seat...the trick is everyone has to use the same address, if you do that you will have no issues then.  Would not be hard to get a few people together, organise who is going to be the account holder, that person has to register their details with Tidal.  Each other user then will need to use that same singular address of the account holder but the account holder would invite them into the family plan and then they have thier own log in and account etc, no different to normal.

Doing that split x5 ways you would pay $7 a month each.  Even if people paid up front an annual subscriptions and gave the account holder $10 a month ($120 annually) for their generosity of being the account holder as they are billed each month, it would still work out a bargain.

2 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

What will that mean for any of my current playlists?

And will we all share the same screen therefore playlists etc? Or does everyone get their own profile? 

That’s 4!

This was my concern also mate, Im thinking we will have to start over again with playlists but I may be wrong. Maybe @steffanth can tell us how it works.