Tube amplifier with DIY output transformers.

Tube amplifier homemade? With this post, I would like to advise all of you who believe that output transformers must be purchased that there is an alternative. Purchasing or reusing 'lacqer-insulated' copper wire can be used to make your own output transformer with the help of a computer program created by Yves Monmagnon. Here are two videos where I first make a chatode biased amplifier, then rebuild it into a fixed biased amplifier. In the last video, each tube is checked to be adjusted, and then the entire amplifier is benchmarked with the help of an ocilloscope and RMS voltmeter.
Here is the two videos of the amp build and testing:

some pics from the 'hifi central':

https://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/threads/2x15w-el34-pp-med-ul-opt-selvbygget.88291/

here is a free google drive link to the program I used to calculate the OPT's:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dzfxdD_2FrEn5WLOeuQDUsqWwd_aUbpS/view?usp=sharing

Take care, and thanks!

Edited by Rocknrollthor
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Naz.shr
      Item Condition: Good Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Perth State: WA Payment Method: PayPal, Cash Reason for selling: No longer needed Harman Kardon HK 670 amp in good condition. Powerful and sweet sounding, rated 80 watts per channel at 8 ohms. Pls check pictures for specs.
      Pickup Joondanna

• By daveybeatz
      Item Condition: Near new excellent condition Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Reservoir State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal, Cash on pickup Reason for selling: purchased active studio monitors so don't need anymore Further information:

$1340 RRP
      From Osborn site:
       https://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/a2-and-a3

Brand new from Consonance, at my request comes a 2 channel (A2) and a 3 channel (A3) power amplifier, for use in Home Theater systems. The amplifiers are the same amplifiers as used in the power sections of the R150. These are real power houses, and test in excess of 150 watts per channel. Their sonics are streets ahead of any amplifiers found in Home Theatre amplifiers. 
      Using an A3 to power the centre and front channels, will make a significant improvement in clarity, detail, imaging and spaciousness of your system. There will now be sounds all around you, instead of the usual, "something at the front"," something at the back" sound given by most Theatre systems.
      The ideal is an A3 to power the centre and the rears, and an A2 to power the side effects speakers in a 7.1 system, and an amplifier with absolutely stunning sonics, such as the Cyber 100 15th anniversary model to power the front speakers, making the system truly spectacular for both Home Theatre and for music .
      A combination of an A2 and an A3 powering a 5.1 system will result in a stunning improvement of the experience of true surround sound in a 5.1 system.
      A great way to start the ideal system is to replace the front 3 channels with an A3, and at a later date, when finances have recovered, move the A3 to the centre and rears, and buy something really special to power the front speakers at a later date.
      David Wurtz, who was the Australian Editor of "Secrets of Home Theatre and High Fidelity, the World's largest Internet Hi Fi Magazine, tested all the amps made in Australia up to $12,500, but found that all of them were easily out performed by the A2 and A3, so he returned the large, expensive amplifiers and bought the Consonance at 1/6th the price of the next best sounding amp.
      The A2 is an excellent power amp when teamed with a suitable pre amp. Easily outperforming other popular amplifiers at 10 times the price.

Rear of A3 shown. (A2 is same, but 2 channel.)

SPECIFICATION:
      Power output: A3 -120W +120W + 120 at 8 Ohms (Tests at 150W/ch)
      Power output: A2 -120W +120W at 8 Ohms
      Minimum load: 2ohms speakers can be connected.
      Input Sources: 4 selectable inputs switched by gold plated relays
      Input Terminals: Gold plated Phono/RCA
      Output Terminals: One set of gold plated speaker terminals each channel
      Frequency response: Less than +/- 0.1 dB deviation 20Hz-80kHz
      Phase response: Less than 2 degrees deviation 20Hz-80kHz
      Signal-to-noise ratio: More than 100dB
      Crosstalk: Less than -100dB
      Distortion: Less than 0.04% @ 20W 80hms
      Inter-modulation: Less than 0.01% (19kHz + 20kHz)
      Damping factor: More than 800
      Remote Control: RC-5 compatible IR system 36kHz modulation
      Dimensions: 12cm x 43cm x 32cm (HxWxD), 18kg shipment weight.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved
    • By robbyvikram
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Bayswater North State: VIC Payment Method: Cash, PayPal Reason for selling: Not In Use Further information: Been away for last year and a half. Re listing stuff that needs to go

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By Tony@melb
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Templestowe State: VIC Payment Method: PayPal or Cash Reason for selling: More tubes than I can use Further information:

I bought three sets of Philips NOS tubes from a fellow SNAer a few weeks ago to see which ones suit my preamp best. They all have relative strengths.
      This set has good bass and is much better than the current production Mullard, but they are not as nice as the other two sets. So I decide to sell these 3 tubes. I have used them for about 10 hours.
      From the faint code, I gather that they are made in Hendon Works, Alberton, Australia in the 50's.

Photos:

• By tommy100
      Item Condition: Very Good Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Penshurst State: NSW Payment Method: Cash, EFT, Paypal Reason for selling: Cash Further information:  Great integrated amplifier which gets very good reviews.  It is a lot more powerful and punchy than specs suggest, have used them with 86 db speakers and never need to push the volume more than halfway, and has plenty of grip on the bass.  I am selling this as it for a second setup that isn't getting used much.  Includes all original manuals, box, and remote.  Priced to sell.

Photos: