Best Speakers Under $3000 Floor standing or Bookshelf

Hello Hifi Bretheren,

Looking to the sum of your knowledge for what you would consider the best bang for buck speaker under 3K. 

Floor-standing and Bookshelf recommendations considered.  Second hand is fine as well.

Ill be driving them with a Cambridge Audio CXA60  , sources both turntables and cd player and network streamer.

Living room is small, however this will change in a few months to a medium space.

Seeking a warm, fun sound with ample bass and a good sound stage.

Ive been considering :

Fyne audio 501

Buchardt Audio S400

Monitor Audio Silver S200

Dali Oberon5

Currently I have a pair of Q Acoustics 3030 and seeking to upgrade.

Cheers All.

New, the KEF R3 is very hard to beat. They also have remarkable bass for a bookshelf. As good as most floorstanders in that price range.

For a different presentation, Spatial M3.

A used alternative would be KEF LS50s with a pair of SVS SB1000 subs, crossing over at 150hz.

For a different presentation, a pair of Magnepan LRS with the same subs and same crossover.

Or you could go active with Neumann KH90s and the same subs.

• Like 1

Whatever you buy don't get speakers that are even remotely lit up, shiny or bright. The amplifier has plenty of that on its own. In this particular instance, I agree with Bill's suggestion of the Wharfedale Linton which are smooth and laid back, without being comatose. It is a good Yang to the amplifier's Yin.

• Like 1

If you're not opposed to second hand, keep an eye out for a pair of Dynaudio Special Forty. Fun with heaps of bass is pretty much exactly what they are. Class A Audio have some older stock new for $4500, but second hand should squeak within your budget if you find someone willing to sell.

• Like 1

I liked my QA 3050's a lot and your $3k will go a lot further if you wait patiently for the used market to turn up something considerably better than the 3050. No point spending that much on a new pair of speakers and only achieving a side grade.

3 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

New, the KEF R3 is very hard to beat. They also have remarkable bass for a bookshelf. As good as most floorstanders in that price range.

A used alternative would be KEF LS50s with a pair of SVS SB1000 subs, crossing over at 150hz.

For a different presentation, a pair of Magnepan LRS with the same subs and same crossover.

Some great options to explore here, thanks mate.

1 hour ago, deanB said:

I liked my QA 3050's a lot and your $3k will go a lot further if you wait patiently for the used market to turn up something considerably better than the 3050. No point spending that much on a new pair of speakers and only achieving a side grade.

I agree , definitely keeping an eye on the second hand market as well mate.  Patience can be rewarded!

2 hours ago, twofires said:

If you're not opposed to second hand, keep an eye out for a pair of Dynaudio Special Forty. Fun with heaps of bass is pretty much exactly what they are. Class A Audio have some older stock new for $4500, but second hand should squeak within your budget if you find someone willing to sell.th

The description does sound right up my alley.  I'll audition a pair of these to get a feel for the sound

2 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Just be careful with that amp that you don't feel a bit underwhelmed when upgrading. Great amp as it is but does run out of steam with better speakers.

Does justify another upgrade though :)

Yup you've got a point mate.  If the amp is not keeping up, it's going to have to get the boot

4 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

2 hours ago, deanB said:

1 minute ago, Irek said:

q-acoustics-floor-standing-speakers-concept500-white-18803686178979_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1599034757

Focal Aria 926 Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) – Instyle Home Theatre & Hi Fi

I had a budget ... 

I'm quite interested in how those q acoustics sound.  On paper they certainly are impressive!  What make and model is the black speaker mate ?

35 minutes ago, Hendoferson said:

Some great options to explore here, thanks mate.

What I was trying to say (and probably failing) is that all the speakers on your shortlist are reasonably well-designed boxes that (because they are reasonably well-designed boxes) are going to sound more similar than different.

The KEF R3 (or the Revel M106 I should have mentioned) take this approach to well past the point of diminishing returns.

The differences between them and even vastly more expensive (yet similarly designed box speakers) is likely to be very small. Especially if you use subs. 

Again taking the KEF R3 as an example (although it is true of all speakers), you will pay thousands more for a speaker that sounds the same (or sometimes worse above 80Hz) yet gives few extra Hz of extension or volume. But still not enough to really plumb the depths.

The Q Acoustics Concept 40s will not sound that different from the other choices.

The Wharfedales may be a touch more mellifluous, but you are really paying for cool factor. Which is fine too. I just did.

So I'd try to listen to some outliers. Some speakers that aren't reasonably well-designed boxes.

I personally love the different presentation of open baffle speakers, hence the suggestion. And hate that of horns, and of single driver speakers. But others think the opposite. 

Listen outside the box.

Edited by sfdoddsy

4 minutes ago, sfdoddsy said:

What I was trying to say (and probably failing) is that all the speakers on your shortlist are reasonably well-designed boxes that (because they are reasonably well-designed boxes) are going to sound more similar than different.

The KEF R3 (or the Revel M106 I should have mentioned) take this approach to well past the point of diminishing returns.

The differences between them and even vastly more expensive (yet similarly designed box speakers) is likely to very small and very variable. Especially if you use subs. 

Again taking the KEF R3 as an example (although it is true of all speakers), you will pay thousands more for a speaker that sounds the same (or sometimes worse above 80Hz) yet gives few extra Hz of extension or volume. But still not enough to really plumb the depths.

So I'd try to listen to some outliers, some speakers that aren't reasonably well-designed boxes.

I personally love the different presentation of open baffle speakers, hence the suggestion. And hate that of horns, and of single driver speakers. But others think the opposite. 

Listen outside the box.

That's really interesting sfdoodsy and I never considered this tbh.  Based on your viewpoint I like the fact that the KEF is pushing the boundaries here and will audition this as well mate.  I appreciate the insight here.

If you are even slightly objectivist (ie think measurements are valid), check out the reviews here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/

It all gets a bit anal, but if you delve through you'll find that speakers like the R3, or the M106, or even the Neumann, measure close to the currently accepted state of the art.

You'll pay big bucks for tiny differences from there on.

There is an old science theory postulating that the closer things get to perfection the more similar they get.

I'm by no means sayings such speakers are perfect or even approaching it, but if your operating principle is placing X drivers in a box of Y size  and using a crossover to seperate them at Z frequency then the physics of it all are pretty well-known.

• Like 1

Here's a few suggestions:

Wharfdale Diamond 250 - $3099

B & W - 603 S2 - $2999. I have the 602 S3 bookshelf speakers in the study which I find excellent for a small room but have the DM603 S3 in the lounge room and is a big step up.

B & W 683 S2 - $2499 - big upgrade on your Q's. For another grand, you will be impressed.

Dali Opticon 6 - $3,236 - major improvement on the Oberon 5's which is really just a sideways movement from your Q3050's. The Q's should sound better in a larger room than the Oberon 5 but the Opticon 6 should impress.

Kef Q550 - $1995 or Kef Q750m - $2795 or if budget allows KEF Q950

Whenever I am auditioning speakers, I always take along a CDR full of prerecorded favourite tracks that feature a lot of dynamic sound, plenty of spatial variety with a variety of music types and genres - Drums, guitar, synths, pianos, violins, flutes, mellotron, uilleann pipes, vocals, organs, etc

I remember taking an album along to a hifi shop in Sydney years ago and played a track called "Toccata" by Mannheim Steamroller. The guy had never heard it before neither had the other few people in the store who came over to listen to what was playing. I had 3 offers to buy the CD off me while the sales guy didn't make a sale. This song alone will tell you how good a pair of speakers are if you can crank it up a notch as the music is amazing and the dynamic sound is really impressive. Might be worth downloading just this song alone and become used to it before you audition.

Anywho, keep us up to date with what you decide.

Prog

38 minutes ago, progladyte said:

Here's a few suggestions:

Wharfdale Diamond 250 - $3099

B & W - 603 S2 - $2999. I have the 602 S3 bookshelf speakers in the study which I find excellent for a small room but have the DM603 S3 in the lounge room and is a big step up.

B & W 683 S2 - $2499 - big upgrade on your Q's. For another grand, you will be impressed.

Dali Opticon 6 - $3,236 - major improvement on the Oberon 5's which is really just a sideways movement from your Q3050's. The Q's should sound better in a larger room than the Oberon 5 but the Opticon 6 should impress.

Kef Q550 - $1995 or Kef Q750m - $2795 or if budget allows KEF Q950

Whenever I am auditioning speakers, I always take along a CDR full of prerecorded favourite tracks that feature a lot of dynamic sound, plenty of spatial variety with a variety of music types and genres - Drums, guitar, synths, pianos, violins, flutes, mellotron, uilleann pipes, vocals, organs, etc

I remember taking an album along to a hifi shop in Sydney years ago and played a track called "Toccata" by Mannheim Steamroller. The guy had never heard it before neither had the other few people in the store who came over to listen to what was playing. I had 3 offers to buy the CD off me while the sales guy didn't make a sale. This song alone will tell you how good a pair of speakers are if you can crank it up a notch as the music is amazing and the dynamic sound is really impressive. Might be worth downloading just this song alone and become used to it before you audition.

Anywho, keep us up to date with what you decide.

Prog

Some great content here Prog, thank you.  Lol love the story of the music track.  Going to have a geez online as it sounds like a doozy!

1 hour ago, sfdoddsy said:

If you are even slightly objectivist (ie think measurements are valid), check out the reviews here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/

It all gets a bit anal, but if you delve through you'll find that speakers like the R3, or the M106, or even the Neumann, measure close to the currently accepted state of the art.

You'll pay big bucks for tiny differences from there on.

There is an old science theory postulating that the closer things get to perfection the more similar they get.

I'm by no means sayings such speakers are perfect or even approaching it, but if your operating principle is placing X drivers in a box of Y size  and using a crossover to seperate them at Z frequency then the physics of it all are pretty well-known.

Your right sfdoodsy the link you provided is definitely going down the preverbial rabbit hole however the quest for perfection involves research!

• Like 1