Excitement and impatience in your audiophile journeys?

Hi all,

I've recently had some wins and excitement in my infancy quest for better stereo sound. A revelation from SNA members to try different things with my current setup led to switching from using my Sony X800 HDMI connected to my Yammy V3800 AVR........to using my Yammy S677 player's DAC connecting analog to the AVR. Wow, the sound just improved so so much. I just always thought I had to HDMI everything to get the best outcome.

I've also obtained heaps of FLACs for music that I enjoy, everything from late 80s/early 90s Pop through to RnB through to Rock through to Classical through to Jazz and nearly everything in between. Then setting up my NAS to be able to stream the FLACs native to the Yammy S677 through DLNA was good.......until I discovered an Android app for the NAS that allows me to 'remote control' the playing of the FLACs to my Yammy S677, winner!!!

Then I found a way to rip stereo DSF off my small 24 SACD collection. 66GB later, I can now play them also without having to swap discs. Best thing, I'm not restricted to having to play through a SACD player.

Once again, thanks to SNA members, I think I have made up my mind on my next upgrades......first safe step, a good integrated amp and then after lockdown, upgrade my front speakers (unless a ripper deal comes along during lockdown haha).

This is where the disappointment comes from....maybe it's the Melbourne lockdown so bear with me. I can't get out and test and feel real sound!!! :)  

I thought I had an amp deal done, researched postage from another state, but deal might fall through.

Then there's the speakers.......I thought maybe I could stretch a little to get some before listening, but buying before listening is probably a recipe for disaster (another piece of sage advice from a member).....and the deal was not a clear winner.

Well, there's my story, I can't wait to get out and hear and feel more audiophile love. I wish I was the lucky prick that could have scored past stellar classifieds deals for the amp and the speakers which will keep the CFO happy............and to be honest, it's only been a month since I've really started to appreciate and uncover a little bit of 2 ch glory. But then again, the impatient idiot, I am also someone who hasn't bloody caught a fish either. :D  

PS. Is it just me, I really love looking at good looking audio parts, especially speakers. ?

Edited by noisuf
  • Like 1

A lot of the excitement comes from researching everything you can find on Google, translating those pages in other languages, signing up to other forums to ask owners of some of the more esoteric gear about it etc. Then in some cases waiting a few months for said piece of gear to be built and shipped to you from overseas. No matter how much or little you find online regarding a piece of gear in the end you have to trust your gut and decide whether to pull the trigger or not. It's paid off more times than not.....  :)

4 minutes ago, MattyW said:

A lot of the excitement comes from researching everything you can find on Google, translating those pages in other languages, signing up to other forums to ask owners of some of the more esoteric gear about it etc. Then in some cases waiting a few months for said piece of gear to be built and shipped to you from overseas. No matter how much or little you find online regarding a piece of gear in the end you have to trust your gut and decide whether to pull the trigger or not. It's paid off more times than not.....  :)

Wow, big kudos to you on both the patience and research front!!!! I wish I could hear really high end audio....understand where I really am with my current system...a 0.5 out of 10 maybe. Lol

The fact that I don't recognise a lot of your gear in your sig shows there's lots for me to learn and appreciate.

I have it a little simpler with a full digital source journey. ?

19 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Always good to read someone improving on an AVR. Wait until you get that integrated, you will be amazed. Make sure it has HT bypass to make things easier.

Lol, I've moved past integrated to full separates. DIY open baffles, woofers have their own power amp, as does the full range and tweeters. Separe DAC/phono, preamp etc etc. The bug bit hard and I caught the disease bad..... Kind of recovering a bit now.

The second living room system still has a little single ended 5WPC integrated though. Much simpler system.

25 minutes ago, noisuf said:

Wow, big kudos to you on both the patience and research front!!!! I wish I could hear really high end audio....understand where I really am with my current system...a 0.5 out of 10 maybe. Lol

The fact that I don't recognise a lot of your gear in your sig shows there's lots for me to learn and appreciate.

I have it a little simpler with a full digital source journey. ?

So long as you're enjoying it that's all that matters. Scale of 1 to 10 is irrelevant and there always someone with a better system no matter what is spent.

Edited by MattyW

20 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Always good to read someone improving on an AVR. Wait until you get that integrated, you will be amazed. Make sure it has HT bypass to make things easier.

Yep, definitely will have HT bypass, another piece of great advice from another member.

Can't believe how much I've improved the 2ch sound already with changing of speaker placement too, lasers, measurements, triangle. Strangely though, the vocals sound better when I sit 30cm more forward, especially female vocals, have played with a little bit with toe in...

Moving from seated back and 30cm forward, I can hear the sound change....30cm forward, it's like she's there. ??

4 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Lol, I've moved past integrated to full separates. DIY open baffles, woofers have their own power amp, as does the full range and tweeters. Separe DAC/phono, preamp etc etc

The second living room system still has a little single ended 5WPC integrated though. Much simpler system.

So long as you're enjoying it that's all that matters. Scale of 1 to 10 is irrelevant and there always someone with a better system no matter what is spent.

Wow, your system must sound really good...at least to you with such an amount of time spent improving.

I was going to go down the path of a Topping D90 DAC going into a Halcro MC20 amp but think I've decided on the integrated for similar money.

• Like 1

Eh, use the AVR for movies only and run a quality speaker switch box so you can run a decent separate DAC and integrated amp for music. I'm yet to hear an AVT that impresses.

Topping is a decent starting point.... Eventually you'd replace it though. A good starter DAC. First separate was a S.M.S.L. Sanskrit.... The first gen one  ;)

Edited by MattyW

23 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Lol, I've moved past integrated to full separates. DIY open baffles, woofers have their own power amp, as does the full range and tweeters. Separe DAC/phono, preamp etc etc. The bug bit hard and I caught the disease bad..... Kind of recovering a bit now.

Yeah that would be a huge jump straight from an AVR and far too difficult/confusing for most. Have seen a few of your posts. Looks like some cool gear and you're in Brisbane too :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, noisuf said:

I was going to go down the path of a Topping D90 DAC going into a Halcro MC20 amp but think I've decided on the integrated for similar money.

Try be patient (haha) and demo as much stuff as you can to try find combos that work and a style of sound you like. Topping and Halco might be detail overload coming from an ex-Halcro owner.
Hopefully dictator Dan is gone soon enough and you can get outside to some stores.

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

Try be patient (haha) and demo as much stuff as you can to try find combos that work and a style of sound you like. Topping and Halco might be detail overload coming from an ex-Halcro owner.
Hopefully dictator Dan is gone soon enough and you can get outside to some stores.

Yeah, depends on how you define detail though. Topping and S.M.S.L. DAC's sound detailed..... Though interestingly lack a lot of detail and insight into the music that better DAC's have while sounding natural rather than detailed. Go figure right. Different price range for those better DAC's though and pointless unless the rest of the system can reproduce it also. I've found there is a difference between detailed sounding and actually detailed if you know what I mean. I tend to think of such DAC as providing false detail though I'm sure many will disagree, then again there are those who will agree too. So many different camps in audio.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, noisuf said:

It's not a bad idea but it's hard to audition that combo. 

There are not that many integrated class D out there. Although they are going more popular recently.

I think class D will overtake class A in the sound quality stakes in the not too distant future. I'll simply wait for that to happen and continue to enjoy tube amplification in my main system until such time. Could well replace the little class A solid state amp in my downstairs system though. I generally find the best solid state gear has a lot of the qualities of tube gear, and inversely the best tube gear has a lot of solid state qualities. I don't lean towards the more romantic sounding tube gear if that makes sense? Not that there's any problem with romantic sounding gear mind you  ;)

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

I've found there is a difference between detailed sounding and actually detailed if you know what I mean. I tend to think of such DAC as providing false detail though I'm sure many will disagree, then again there are those who will agree too. So many different camps in audio.

I find that too, I imagine it's like the sharpness tweak on a TV, you wind it up and it emphasises the edges in a picture and gives you the impression it's sharper when in reality it is not. Do people associate audio detail with a system that airs on the brighter side perhaps?

You can also pick out 'more' detail (that you may not have noticed before) because some part of the audio spectrum has been reduced. For example a small change in the level of the upper base can make voices sound very different and you may become more aware of the way the singer is breathing and take it as hearing more detail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattyW said:

Eh, use the AVR for movies only and run a quality speaker switch box so you can run a decent separate DAC and integrated amp for music. I'm yet to hear an AVT that impresses.

Topping is a decent starting point.... Eventually you'd replace it though. A good starter DAC. First separate was a S.M.S.L. Sanskrit.... The first gen one  ;)

I'm looking at the direction of a quality good int amp. I'm sold, buy a good one that will last years. ?

2 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Patience is so not me lol. I wish I had the amp and speakers NOW...i wish all those fantastic deals thru through the classifieds were magically available NOW. Haha. In all seriousness, I can't wait to visit the hugh end audio stores recommended to me....as soon as I can....Dan.

36 minutes ago, Irek said:

It's not a bad idea but it's hard to audition that combo. 

There are not that many integrated class D out there. Although they are going more popular recently.

I think the int amp I'm looking at is class A/B

I'd look at the Kinki Studio EX-M1 if budget allows? Change the dual OPAMP for a Burson V6 Classic Dual, and the 4x Single OPAMPS for Sparkos SS3601 and it's about as fine as you get without spending megabucks. A Denafrips Ares II DAC would be beutiful with it and is also a bargain for the cost.....

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I'd look at the Kinki Studio EX-M1 if budget allows? Change the dual OPAMP for a Burson V6 Classic Dual, and the 4x Single OPAMPS for Sparkos SS3601 and it's about as fine as you get without spending megabucks. A Denafrips Ares II DAC would be beutiful with it and is also a bargain for the cost.....

I got my EX-M1 delivered this week (2nd hand). It’s an incredible amp but be aware it doesn’t have HT pass through. You have to go up to the plus version for that which sells for about $4600, vs $3800 for the standard

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

I got my EX-M1 delivered this week (2nd hand). It’s an incredible amp but be aware it doesn’t have HT pass through. You have to go up to the plus version for that which sells for about $4600, vs $3800 for the standard

No need for it. Just run a Beresford TC7210 for your AVR if you want 5.1 sound so you can share the one set of speakers between two amps. That's been my solution anyway with my downstairs system. I'm yet to hear and AVR can compete with a top stereo integrated.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MattyW said:

No need for it. Just run a Beresford TC7210 for your AVR if you want 5.1 sound so you can share the one set of speakers between two amps. That's been my solution anyway with my downstairs system. I'm yet to hear and AVR can compete with a top stereo integrated.

Ah. Sorry i missed your earlier mention of the switch ? 

• Like 1

Excitement - recently acquiring from SNA a mint Lumin U1 mini and Kenneth Lau power supply to go that extra step more in my digital experience.

Impatience - spending hours doing the "upgrade" which included the snip of a wire on the IEC only to discover that after all that, the bloody cord supplied does not fit the intake pin of the Lumin. End result - impatience whilst I am now 2 weeks into god knows how long while the part is literally on a slow boat from China!

Edited by rodders3
  • Like 1

On 17/09/2020 at 8:57 PM, noisuf said:

Hi all,

I've recently had some wins and excitement in my infancy quest for better stereo sound. A revelation from SNA members to try different things with my current setup led to switching from using my Sony X800 HDMI connected to my Yammy V3800 AVR........to using my Yammy S677 player's DAC connecting analog to the AVR. Wow, the sound just improved so so much. I just always thought I had to HDMI everything to get the best outcome.

I've also obtained heaps of FLACs for music that I enjoy, everything from late 80s/early 90s Pop through to RnB through to Rock through to Classical through to Jazz and nearly everything in between. Then setting up my NAS to be able to stream the FLACs native to the Yammy S677 through DLNA was good.......until I discovered an Android app for the NAS that allows me to 'remote control' the playing of the FLACs to my Yammy S677, winner!!!

Then I found a way to rip stereo DSF off my small 24 SACD collection. 66GB later, I can now play them also without having to swap discs. Best thing, I'm not restricted to having to play through a SACD player.

Once again, thanks to SNA members, I think I have made up my mind on my next upgrades......first safe step, a good integrated amp and then after lockdown, upgrade my front speakers (unless a ripper deal comes along during lockdown haha).

This is where the disappointment comes from....maybe it's the Melbourne lockdown so bear with me. I can't get out and test and feel real sound!!! :)  

I thought I had an amp deal done, researched postage from another state, but deal might fall through.

Then there's the speakers.......I thought maybe I could stretch a little to get some before listening, but buying before listening is probably a recipe for disaster (another piece of sage advice from a member).....and the deal was not a clear winner.

Well, there's my story, I can't wait to get out and hear and feel more audiophile love. I wish I was the lucky prick that could have scored past stellar classifieds deals for the amp and the speakers which will keep the CFO happy............and to be honest, it's only been a month since I've really started to appreciate and uncover a little bit of 2 ch glory. But then again, the impatient idiot, I am also someone who hasn't bloody caught a fish either. :D  

PS. Is it just me, I really love looking at good looking audio parts, especially speakers. ?

Welcome to the club mate. Ecstaticly Happy... Eternally Broke.

??

• Like 1

On 17/09/2020 at 10:57 PM, noisuf said:

but buying before listening is probably a recipe for disaster

I reckon that's complete bunk for anyone living outside of the major centres and even then I'm sceptical about walking into any of the hifi stores across the country and deciding then and there that these will be the speakers for me.

Look at the hundreds of pics posted here of multi thousand dollar systems and they are jammed into a domestic living space with all the compromises that that entails.

My point being that you could be listening to speakers and amps in a retail environment that's spent the dosh and has listening rooms with all the acoustic embellishments they can fit in or afford. You'll never replicate that back at home unless you set one room aside and change it. Not everyone can if they want to remain married.

So buying unheard is fine by me and I've done it a few times and I just did it again  yesterday and next week I'll see if I've made a bad call or not but I very much doubt it.

You read the specs, you know your system, you know your music and you buy something on that basis with that knowledge and what others have here and have talked about/explained/shown.

It's not a gamble it's pretty straight forward, just do your research, read your reviews, read stuff here and dive in.

• Like 8

I have some news everyone, looks like the integrated amp negotiation is back on track...deal made, just need to finalise. I'll provide more details when it's done..... don't want to jinx it beforehand. ? It's got good reviews and has the HT bypass I need....hope you all feel it's a good first step. I'll get the amp by next Friday if all goes according to plan....then at least I can compare with the same speakers.

On 18/09/2020 at 12:24 PM, MattyW said:

The amp I'm getting is not this one. But by looking at past classifieds for this, it is in similar $$$ territory. Hope my choice doesn't disappoint. ?

4 hours ago, rodders3 said:

Excitement - recently acquiring from SNA a mint Lumin U1 mini and Kenneth Lau power supply to go that extra step more in my digital experience.

Impatience - spending hours doing the "upgrade" which included the snip of a wire on the IEC only to discover that after all that, the bloody cord supplied does not fit the intake pin of the Lumin. End result - impatience whilst I am now 2 weeks into god knows how long while the part is literally on a slow boat from China!

I'm sorry, your story made me smile....as in I have been there for other things outside audio. Wishing you the fastest non issue delivery. A bloody bluray arrived last week from the UK, ordered in March!!! ?

2 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Welcome to the club mate. Ecstaticly Happy... Eternally Broke.

??

I'm sure you're calling BS on me when I say I'll be happy with the int p and new fronts. ??

2 hours ago, Luc said:

I reckon that's complete bunk for anyone living outside of the major centres and even then I'm sceptical about walking into any of the hifi stores across the country and deciding then and there that these will be the speakers for me.

Look at the hundreds of pics posted here of multi thousand dollar systems and they are jammed into a domestic living space with all the compromises that that entails.

My point being that you could be listening to speakers and amps in a retail environment that's spent the dosh and has listening rooms with all the acoustic embellishments they can fit in or afford. You'll never replicate that back at home unless you set one room aside and change it. Not everyone can if they want to remain married.

So buying unheard is fine by me and I've done it a few times and I just did it again  yesterday and next week I'll see if I've made a bad call or not but I very much doubt it.

You read the specs, you know your system, you know your music and you buy something on that basis with that knowledge and what others have here and have talked about/explained/shown.

It's not a gamble it's pretty straight forward, just do your research, read your reviews, read stuff here and dive in.

That's what I'm doing with the int amp. I was close to pulling the trigger on some MKI VAF I66s..... but at least now I'll have a bit of time with the int amp.... appreciate that before getting the fronts..... but then again, I'm always on the lookout on the classifieds. Lol

My 2ch music room like you said is compromised. Not being focused on 2ch until now, my audio cabinet is on the left to the side of the front left speaker, although not blocking the bottom drivers, it has to be contributing to reflections, speakers are rear ported & so close to a wall cavity for the ducts in the corner....front right has a shelf to the right which also has to be reflecting sound.

Maybe I need to look into some wall baffling and the replacement fronts will preferably be front ported.

Right now excited...... but impatient for Friday to come around. ?

Edited by noisuf
  • Like 3

How about excitement coupled with unretrievable sadness ?   Many years ago when I began my search  for audiophile tweaks that were low cost but highly effective I began my journey into the dark arts of isolation / decouplement ....... after reading myriad posts I decided that Granite was the way to go for all equipment bedding ..... well, I acquired said pieces of granite and , armed with a powerful hand held angle grinder, I went into the parched backyard for forty days and forty nights.   ( well, to be honest , just two days ) .......    and cut the crap out of everything I could lay my hands on..........   these I lay reverently on my spiked audio stand and hit the switch....... it was TERRIBLE ! Even my son who has no interest in my audio pursuits said it was horrible........    well, what have I learned ?  First thing........ you have to have a go and trial something to see how it goes ..... secondly, over the years I have found a combination of low cost materials  with a healthy hint of divergent imagination and fellow posts from you guys  ( thank you Stereonet ) can produce fantastic results.  Now very happy with a combo of spikes biting into acrylic ..... have tamed the ugly old wooden floor beastial issues. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I jinxed myself. So excitement is now something else.......and definitely will test my patience.

The amp I'm looking for is a Denon PMA-2500NE. Had a deal done but was bought from overseas. No warranty and would have had issues with finding somewhere to fix if something went wrong. Updated my WTB ad...

Edited by noisuf
  • Like 1