Turntable noise

My big Kenwood deck is putting out a lot of Electronic  noise , I suppose it could be described as a wiring sound. I have swapped phono stages and cartridges without any change

i have also applied deoxit. When the cartridge is half way in it is quieter, but of course that’s not much use

i am hoping someone can shed some light here

Sorry, Steve ... but what you say below ... doesn't make all that much sense  - well, to me, anyway!:

2 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

My big Kenwood deck is putting out a lot of Electronic  noise , I suppose it could be described as a wiring sound.

What on earth do you mean by 'wiring' sound?

And I presume this sound is coming from the Kenwood itself - not from your spkrs?

I have swapped phono stages and cartridges without any change

So you have plugged your arm cable into different phono stages - and used different carts in the arm - to no avail?

i have also applied deoxit. When the cartridge is half way in it is quieter, but of course that’s not much use

What did you apply Deoxit to?

And what do you mean by "When the cartridge is half way in it is quieter "?  Half way into what?

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

My big Kenwood deck is putting out a lot of Electronic  noise , I suppose it could be described as a wiring sound. I have swapped phono stages and cartridges without any change

What model turntable is it?

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Sorry, Steve ... but what you say below ... doesn't make all that much sense  - well, to me, anyway!:

What on earth do you mean by 'wiring' sound?

And I presume this sound is coming from the Kenwood itself - not from your spkrs?

So you have plugged your arm cable into different phono stages - and used different carts in the arm - to no avail?

What did you apply Deoxit to?

And what do you mean by "When the cartridge is half way in it is quieter "?  Half way into what?

Andy

A lot of things to reply to.. yes sorry it’s a “wirring ” sound thru the speakers- my phone keeps changing it , just realised that. Yes I connected the deck to a phono stage with the wires that came from the tonearm and go to the phono stage, not sure what else I could have used :)

the Noise is continual , but If I remove  the head shell Then the noise stops About half way out, then resumes when I remove the head shell completely.

i used deoxit on the ends of The plugs 

29 minutes ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

A lot of things to reply to.. yes sorry it’s a “wirring ” sound thru the speakers- my phone keeps changing it , just realised that. Yes I connected the deck to a phono stage with the wires that came from the tonearm and go to the phono stage, not sure what else I could have used :)

the Noise is continual , but If I remove  the head shell Then the noise stops About half way out, then resumes when I remove the head shell completely.

i used deoxit on the ends of The plugs 

Try another headshell.

19 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Yes and as you move the tonearm to the centre, does it start to go quieter?

I think you're clutching at straws, W.  :)

The OP said:

1 hour ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

the Noise is continual , but If I remove  the head shell then the noise stops about half way out, then resumes when I remove the head shell completely.

So nothing to do with the arm tracking across the groove annulus.

Not sure that this means the arm wiring is the problem - but, sure, it's hard to see what else it might me.

And the 'whirring ' sound is totally bizarro!  :huh:

Andy

Guest Old Man Rubber
10 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

No it doesn’t need to be on the record to make the noise

This might be a stupid question, but does the amplifier have an earth for the phono input and is it still hooked up?  Long black thin wire usually coming out the back of the turntable with the RCA plugs or a threaded fitting you put a wire on between your amp and the turntable.  

I don't know exactly what turntable you are referring to (you still haven't provided that info), but is it possible that a motor supression capacitor or similar has failed and you're getting some sort of interference from the turntable drive motor? Or perhaps some other issue with the turntable's power supply that is generating a noise signal that is being picked up by the cartridge/tonearm wiring?

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 4:28 PM, Alpine Electrocats said:

My big Kenwood deck is putting out a lot of Electronic  noise.

When the cartridge is half way in it is quieter....

Is it a P-mount? xD

Edited by stevoz

Hi Steve have you solved the noise problem?

Firstly which make & model turntable & amplifier do you have?

Have you used this turntable/amp set up for a while and then the noise started for no reason or did you move things around recently?

Maybe if you gave more specific details we could offer a better solution. ?

If your amplifier has a PHONO INPUT then you can not connect a PHONO STAGE (that is a Phono Preamp) into the Phono Input into your amplifier this could/will make "noise" all the time.

When using a Phono Stage/Preamp it should be connected into, for example, the AUX input....not Phono...if you amp has a Phono Input this is already an internal phono stage/preamp.

On 23/09/2020 at 6:38 AM, monaro8 said:

When using a Phono Stage/Preamp it should be connected into, for example, the AUX input....not Phono...if you amp has a Phono Input this is already an internal phono stage/preamp.

@monaro8 This is a good point.

When using the Phono Input on an amp & turntable, is it normal to have to pump up the volume more than you would for other line-level inputs such as CD, etc?

I have a Yamaha RX--V685 which has Phono Input to which I have connected my turntable (pre-amp bypassed), but I find I have to bump up the amp volume significantly as opposed to other inputs.

Does this sound right? Given the signal coming from (effectively) the cartridge is very small, I guess it makes sense, but just wondering if you/others can advise?

10 hours ago, Gerry_AU said:

When using the Phono Input on an amp & turntable, is it normal to have to pump up the volume more than you would for other line-level inputs such as CD, etc?

Cartridges do have a range of output levels, some higher, some lower. There are also two types (in common hifi use), moving magnet, and moving coil. So an amp maker might set the sensitivity of the phono stage to match a mid-level output, and you may have a low output cartridge.

Here is some info from wikipedia: (MM = Moving Magnet, MC = Moving Coil)

"MM cartridges generally have output of 3-6mV, compatible with the MM inputs of preamplifiers. MC cartridges come in two varieties, low output (usually < 1.0mV) and high output (more than 1.5mV); there are also some with very low output (0.3mV or less). High output MC cartridges are a concession to compatibility with older preamp MM inputs; low output MC cartridges may generate excessive noise or have insufficient preamp gain to drive amplifiers to their rated output if used on MM inputs. Most solid state preamplifiers have separate high gain, low noise MC inputs to accommodate these. Cartridges with very low output need a separate pre-phono amplification stage before input to an MC or MM preamplifier stage."

• Like 1

Thanks for that, @pwstereo. With the information from your answer, I have checked my Yamaha RX-V685 specs for the Phono Input - Input sensitivity/impedance - 3.5mV/47 kΩ - this seems to match up with what you have quoted for the MM cartridge.

I am getting my new turntable today which has an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge pre-installed. Looking at the specs, it fits with my amp as it has an output voltage of 5.5mV at 1000 Hz and a recommended load resistance of 47 kΩ. This cartridge is a big step up from the one on my existing turntable, so keeping my fingers crossed?

Thanks again for your assistance.
Gerry