2020 Series Press Release

Gieseler Audio

Hi Guys,

Well after many months of designing, testing, prototyping & listening we have two new products, the Kompakt DAC (releasing next week) and the Kraftwerk II (releasing the week after).

We are doing things a bit differently with these products in that we have significantly improved the presentation with fully custom imported cases from Japan as well as standardized soft foam packaging to help give you a better unboxing experience and shipping safety. The case is formed with a clam shell design out of 2.5mm solid aluminium, with a robust black powder coated finish to add robustness to marks, and full metal aluminium silk screen printed front and back panels. Both units still feature Express Post Australia-wide shipping and a two year parts and labour warranty as standard.

Kompakt DAC - $1200

https://www.gieseler.com.au/product-page/kompakt

The Kompakt DAC uses a straightforward and efficient design using the AK4493EQ in hardware mode (PCM only) for coax, optical & USB inputs with the first upgrade being a new S/PDIF input stage based on the premium AKM AK4118A chip. This is considered the best device out there for this job and I have to admit it is a big improvement from the Wolfston chip used in previous models. Not only does it sound better but it is rock solid in terms of digital lock on & auto muting. Next up is the big 500mH choke in the all important on-board main pre-regulated power supply. The power supply has a big effect on sound quality & adding in a large choke produces a clear improvement in audio quality. Another addition is ten separate regulators so that there is no sharing of power sources for the DAC, S/PDIF and USB sections, which I think has added a lot in terms of separation and imaging. The other technical jump is the switch to a four layer printed circuit board, which provide a full unbroken ground plane, as well as a few other improvements, to really help performance with a digital device.

Bottom line – how does it sound? Well unavoidably I am biased but in my opinion, this is my best sounding DAC I have produced to date. This is to be expected as the circuit is basically an improved iteration to the Fein DAC II design with enhancements in the power supply, extra regulators & the engineering improvements from the four layer printed circuit board.

Kraftwerk II - $650

https://www.gieseler.com.au/product-page/kraftwerk-ii

The Kraftwerk II is a new flexible design with adjustable output of 12v, 15v, 16v, and 18v all at 3A via a selector switch on the back. I will have a similar lower voltage version in a couple of weeks with outputs of 5v, 7v, 9v and 12v all at 3A. The big improvement with the Kraftwerk II is the incorporation of a large high quality choke and an high efficiency active mosfet bridge rectifier. The elegant new design features an automatic pre-regulator which helps evenly disperse the regulator heat emission at lower voltages, letting the PSU run cooler and more efficiently. The final regulator is a premium Linear Technology unit with emitter follower output topology, which rivals discrete designs. Main filter capacitors are premium Nichicon Gold Tune and final filtering using Nichicon MUSE caps. It is powered by a large high quality Australian approved Tortech 5A external transformer. The addition of extra very high quality parts has bumped the price up but in my (albeit biased) opinion performance is a step up from all my previous designs.

PS. Both products are visible on our website but will be set as out of stock until they release over the coming weeks (I'll keep you posted).

All the best,

Clay

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1087.jpg
Hey just to make this clear you do not need the Kraftwerk II to to power Kompakt DAC.

It comes with its own external 9 V transformer and that is all that is required to run it

Edited by Gieseler Audio
More info
  • Like 19
  • Love 1

Finally something great happened in 2020. This could be the turning point! 

Fantastic gear, looks and feels top notch. Looking forward to sitting down and having a decent listen to these.

Clay, what are you doing selling a DAC that sounds better than your current best, and at half the price??? :shocked: ? 

And no one mentioned the better foam packaging?  You will need an unboxing video soon? ? 

Looking forward to the feedback from the Sunday headfi meet...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Snoopy - yes some very valid points.

It will certainly be a challenge to actually try & get the the next higher end model sounding any better than the Kompakt DAC.

RE unboxing video.

Maybe Lenticularis will volunteer as he is getting serial number 0001.

I'll see what I can do about an unboxing video.

...Such an action will highlight the fact that I've bought yet "another thing", so I can expect a trough in the WAF-curve ? as in the far right (when i purchased a very ugly but good TT). If so my desktop Klein III may have to be sold, to increase WAF. Perhaps I need to start a GoFundMe project to save me from that eventuality, however that would be morally wrong when we are on the cusp of The Great Depression Mk.2

Anyway, enough 6am waffle ...I can do a video!

WAF-curve_edit-01.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

In the words of Scotty from Star Trek: "Ah cannae do it Cap'n"

I'm currently doing an A-B test on my desktop between the Klein III and another respected but very cheap DAC. Without hearing the Klein III I would be pleased with 'the other DAC' but unless I get major pushback I think I'm going to hang onto the first device in my Gieseler ausrichten. The second was an Enhanced Gold Tune Kraftwerk but that was sold in a moment of rationalism after changing my streamer which necessitates a DAC with S/PDIF input.

Edited by lenticularis
A-B test summarised
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

If you send the Klein III to me, you won’t be able to hear it! Problem solved! :D 

That's very true!  If I decide it's going you'll be contacted first...

Incidentally, a fave album on Tidal is a live concert for Joni Mitchell's 75th birthday.

Kris Kristofferson sings in a truly execrable way on this...so bad, it's still full of atmosphere: https://tidal.com/browse/track/105048398

Edited by lenticularis
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mcb said:

More quality products from a quality manufacturer/supplier.  Clay’s pre-sale and post sale service is also top shelf?

I couldn't agree more, and after being fortunate enough to meet the man, can I say a hell of a nice bloke.

• Like 4