Best CD player

23 hours ago, Ronny Schilt said:

Thanks guys, I'm kinda stuck with the dealer so McIntosh or rega or keep the marantz sa10 s1 flagship

Are you able to take your Marantz to dealer to compare side by side with the other two options?

Hi Aperalim I left my marantz at the dealer with my oppo 105d as I was troubleshooting distortion which turned out to be the resolution of the sa10 not liking some recordings so I compared to the mcd600 from McIntosh and couldn't tell much difference. I know the McIntosh has an R core transformer and the ess Sabre 28 pro but that really doesn't mean much when spinning normal red book cds.  I have asked if they can get the rega Isis so I can compare that to the McIntosh. If they can't I might have to take a leap of faith. 

22 hours ago, Ronny Schilt said:

Hi Aperalim I left my marantz at the dealer with my oppo 105d as I was troubleshooting distortion which turned out to be the resolution of the sa10 not liking some recordings so I compared to the mcd600 from McIntosh and couldn't tell much difference. I know the McIntosh has an R core transformer and the ess Sabre 28 pro but that really doesn't mean much when spinning normal red book cds.  I have asked if they can get the rega Isis so I can compare that to the McIntosh. If they can't I might have to take a leap of faith. 

I am intrigued how audible distortion could be attributed to "the resolution of the sa10 not liking some recordings"?

Do you recall what those recordings were?

I have sometimes  taken leaps of faith like with my last CD player – Esoteric Grandioso K1 SACD : )

23 hours ago, Aperalim said:

I am intrigued how audible distortion could be attributed to "the resolution of the sa10 not liking some recordings"?

Do you recall what those recordings were?

I have sometimes  taken leaps of faith like with my last CD player – Esoteric Grandioso K1 SACD : )

My guess is that the CD’s could be poor recordings?

@Ronny Schiltcare to name the CDs that didn’t sound great or had an issue with sound on the marantz?

Can your try them with your intended amp and speakers? I think a good dealer should be happy to arrange that, you are talking about big $ whatever you do. It really should have been an option with your Marantz if it is only 6 weeks old. (ie; a trial, not needing to now trade it). I have a Denon DCD 2500 NE, it sounded better to me than the McIntosh players I compared it to. Your Marantz should be a better player again.  My Denon doesn’t magically make bad recordings sound great, but most CD and sacds played with it sound great to me. Enjoy the search!