Jude Perreira

PUCK or WEIGHT

Hi All,

I have seen a few SNT member who have Turn Table use the Puck or Weight on the LP.

How does this help, does it effect the sound in any way, and can this be used on any TT be direct drive or belt.

Thanks for your response

Kind Regards

JP

Some people find a weight/puck/clamp can improve the sound from a turntable.  It can also be useful with some warped records (depending on the warp).  From what I've read, it can provide an improvement for some turntable/systems, and not for others. 

The weighted versions are not suitable for suspended turntables, as the extra weight will affect the suspension.  A lightweight clamp would be more suited to those.  Other than that, they can be used with any drive - direct/belt/idler. 

Are you thinking of getting one for your turntable? What tt do you use?

20 hours ago, Jude Perreira said:

How does this help, does it effect the sound in any way,

It just seems to me, that with a medium that relies on turning at a truly constant speed, with no vibrations, or other perturbations, you'd want it to be surely held flat and in place.    The combination of mat and the weight/puck on top holds the record more closely and securely than a light record just sitting lightly on top.   You notice it immediately as you run the record brush over the record before playing.    It gives the stylus the best chance of only having the grooves to respond to, and not other vibrations and movements never meant to be there.

Its an interesting area,  the short version as already mentioned is that "it depends on the turntable" 

Long version - there are several schools of thought by Turntable designers in regard to the record / platter / bearing interface.

1. Carefully chosen frequency dependant decoupling - the most common being the Linn / Rega felt matt. 

2. A platter and record interface designed to couple the record to the platter and act as a massive "vibration sink" 

1. Seeks to a) further reduce LF rumble  from the record surface. b) absorb in a "lossy" way the mainly HF vibrations introduced to the record surface by the cartridge

2. Seeks to have the platter / record act as a single, massive vibration sink usually but not always the platter interface or even platter its self  is made of a material  with similar resonance to vinyl.

1. almost never improves with a clamp / puck

2. almost always improves with a clamp / puck

To confuse the issue there are a number of turntables that are in neither camp, and  a huge number of replacement matts that change the outcome to some extent. 

Thanks every one for your responses and thoughts.

I have a Technics SL-T212 TT and was wondering if this will improve the over all sound.

Kind Regards.

JP.

I think  these devices work differently with different turntables, but my default position is not to use them unless the manufacturer specifically recommends them or if they are actually supplied as OE with the turntable.I also think I would  prefer to spend the money on a record flattening device.

Another thing to be aware of is the pressure that some of these puck weights add to the spindle in the bearing. Some of them are up to half a kilo in weight, and that is a lot of extra weight on your bearing shaft end.

Personally I like the idea of a screw on light weight clamp built with mixed materials so that it flattens your vinyl yet is semi decoupled from it. Oracle makes some of the nicest clamps but of course they are all screw on so not much use to the average table. There was a clamp on one around, i have one in a box somewhere, I don't recall the brand so need to find it. It was machined from Delrin with an alloy collet in the centre and alloy knob on top.

The OL one is only 67 grams, so its not going to cause any potential issues with the bearing, it doesn't claim to flatten the vinyl simply improve the sound using a combination of damping techniques and materials. I have not heard one and considering getting some of them in with my next OL order. At $300.00 though its not a cheap item to try out.

44 minutes ago, SonicArt said:

Another thing to be aware of is the pressure that some of these puck weights add to the spindle in the bearing. Some of them are up to half a kilo in weight, and that is a lot of extra weight on your bearing shaft end.

Is it that much really?  My record weight is 277 grams and works very well in holding and flattening the records. That weight is less than 2 audiophile vinyl records.    Some of these exotic turntable mats made of copper weigh 2 or 3 kilograms !!  I honestly think there is no problem using  a record stabilising weight.

Mmmm

My TT has an optional gunmetal platter that’s 18kg, so I expect the 500g weight is no an issue 👍

7 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Is it that much really?  My record weight is 277 grams and works very well in holding and flattening the records. That weight is less than 2 audiophile vinyl records.    Some of these exotic turntable mats made of copper weigh 2 or 3 kilograms !!  I honestly think there is no problem using  a record stabilising weight.

Yeah I was intending of finishing of this Lenco build with one such 3kg brass mat... and probably get another several kilos of brass turned for the record weight as well.

Forgive me, bearing 

Don't shoot the messenger! Just voicing thoughts, no one is saying its right or wrong, just another idea that is spoken of often enough to come up in forums. A lot of talk about puck weights is the heavy ones deadened the sound especially in the higher frequencies, others find different results, it appears very table dependent if you look at all the feedback over the years from many users around the world.

One would expect a bearing and spindle tip to be made to take the weight of an 18kg platter if that's what its designed for but I don't think the majority of TT owners have 18kg platters :D