NOV 12th new PS5 release date AUS $749/$599.95 price

I just watched the latest Playstation showcase and the date and price was at the end.

Aus $749 for the disc version, Aus$599.95 digital

EB has them up for preorder., and apparently you will need to be quick because Sony is only making 6 million consoles available for sale worldwide for this initial release.......EDIT: EB has sold out as of 9.46am according to Kotaku, how true that is ?

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/ps5/267678-playstation-5-console-launch-shipment

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/09/ps5-production-delays-playstation-5-pre-orders/

I just got a Preorder email from JB while I was editing this post at 9.51.....so if EB HAS sold out, this might be your only chance.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/pages/playstation-5?utm_campaign=jb-au-20200917-games-newsletter (QNpgam)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Newsletter Active (Opened 90 Days)&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJtYXJ0aW53b25kZXJzQG5ldHNwYWNlLm5ldC5hdSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIkxRem50UiJ9

It's all happening, 9.56 I just got a email from Sony Australia for PS5 preorder, so if JB has sold out here's another source.

https://store.sony.com.au/playstation-5?utm_source=MarketingCloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AUDOPSPreorder200917&utm_content=link&j=634343&sfmc_sub=102409000&l=2782_HTML&u=8465496&mid=7329927&jb=72

TBH I think all except Sony will be taking a $200 deposit only, which means there will be no guarantee you will get a PS5 straight away, depends on demand, which seems exceptional from what I'm seeing

Also Sony will make what they are calling the PS+ collection available to download for free at launch.

Some titles I managed to write down were......pretty much all the big PS+ games that have already been made available over the last 18 months.

The Last of Us Remastered

Ratchet and Clank

Fallout 4

Uncharted 4

Until Dawn

Days Gone

Detroit: Become Human

Battlefield 1

The Last Guardian.....Hope they bring out a VR version

Persona 5

inFamous second son

Batman Arkhan knight

The appearance of this PS+ collection is a sort of nod in the direction I thought Sony might be going with PS4 game on the PS5, well at least downloaded versions.

I think your going to find that not all PS4 games at the PStore are going to work on the PS5, much like you had to look up the code on the spine of your PS2 games cover to see if they would work on a BC PS3, when there was one.

This isn't because of the huge difference in processing architecture as it was between PS2 and PS3, but more to do with the asset management code the game was written with.

The PS5 is so fast, the asset management code in the game becomes the bottle neck, and can't keep up to the PS5 hardware.

The Elephant in the room is, if you are going to be able to move games you bought from the PStore and downloaded on your PS4, and then re-download them again from your download history onto a PS5, without the need to repurchase them is the big ?????

Historically Sony has always used a generational jump in consoles as a way to get you to purchase the same game yet again, and TBH I don't think that is going to change, the thing is, it's a unknown ATM.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

Pre-orders gone already aye..

I'm a bit surprised they went so quick tbh.

I'm considering getting the discless version but have a few questions. Having many PS4 games I'm yet to play, I wonder if they'll be able to be downloaded or will only be playable on the PS4. I doubt you'd be able to download, but I'd be ok going all digital moving forward. The big price difference is attractive too.

If you missed the boat re preorder don't despair, TBH it will be a blessing is disguise.

There will be NO games that a going to take full advantage of the PS5 on released, Cyberpunk might be the closest, but I imagine the difference between the PS5/4Pro veresions to be small.

It won't be until games like Horizon 2 are released, and ones that use the UNREAL 5 Engine [not released till mid next year] will shown a real difference.....that won't be for at least 18 months.

By that time the lowest HD space on a PS5 should be a lot higher that the initial 850GB.

And additional expansion HD's should be available, but still I expect uber expensive.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Tweaky said:

If you missed the boat re preorder don't despair, TBH it will be a blessing is disguise.

There will be NO games that a going to take full advantage of the PS5 on released, Cyberpunk might be the closest, but I imagine the difference between the PS5/4Pro veresions to be small.

It won't be until games like Horizon 2 are released, and ones that use the UNREAL 5 Engine [not released till mid next year] will shown a real difference.....that won't be for at least 18 months.

By that time the lowest HD space on a PS5 should be a lot higher that the initial 850GB.

And additional expansion HD's should be available, but still I expect uber expensive.

Yeah it's more a case of FOMO than anything else. The reality of the console is like you say, not going to be optimum at launch. Isn't Spider-Man Miles Morales a launch title? Dunno if it uses UE5 though. It looks pretty good regardless.

Pre-order PS5s have become available today via Harvey Norman (December delivery) and Big W (launch day) but are gone too. I probably would've preordered from Big W if possible as it's only $50 deposit. Most other places are charging full price which I don't have currently.

Probably better off just waiting until next year like you said though.

2 hours ago, Esoterica said:

Yeah it's more a case of FOMO than anything else. The reality of the console is like you say, not going to be optimum at launch. Isn't Spider-Man Miles Morales a launch title? Dunno if it uses UE5 though. It looks pretty good regardless.

Pre-order PS5s have become available today via Harvey Norman (December delivery) and Big W (launch day) but are gone too. I probably would've preordered from Big W if possible as it's only $50 deposit. Most other places are charging full price which I don't have currently.

Probably better off just waiting until next year like you said though.

No games will have used the Unreal 5 engine, as that itself won't be released until sometime in 2021.

It's those games that use that and the power of the PS5 that will show the PS5's abilities, although both are going to take time to get the best of, and the time it takes to make a AAA title means it's going to be a good few years before we see those released

I got a email from EB Games today about PS5 preorder, but it for 2021 delivery [They had sent me a email months ago asking if I was interested, and did I want to be notified when it was available?, but hadn't sent me one until now after the first batch had sold out ]

I'm wondering just how small a allocation of PS5's Australia got of the first batch made available, for them to all be sold within hours.

Either it was about less than 10K, or people really have realized what the price was going to be [which wasn't hard if you believed the rumors ] and put money away for one, outstripping availability.

I mean at $750/$600 it's not chump change, they say people have been saving for a change and paying off their bills since Covid restrictions, quite a few must of been doing it for a PS5 it would seem.

TBH I wouldn't be surprised that after the initial PS5's have been put in the hands of owners and reviewers come Nov 12, and the first Fanboy reviews are done and dusted by NOV 15, a more prosaic evaluation along the lines of 'PS5 - Is it really better than a PS4 Pro ?" type reviews start appearing around early Dec, they will be the ones to pay attention to.

I'm expecting a general consensus of this type of review saying, well not really.

My view on the PS5 has always been it's been designed more for game developers than it has been for the gamer.

It's the first time game developers have had the ''gloves removed'' so to speak, and do things that they haven't been able to previously solely because of hardware constraints.

It might end up being the reversal of the often heard 'But you should see the PC version" in a few years time, with "You should see the PS5 version".

That's unless specialized gaming MB's and chips like those found in the PS5 start making their way onto the PC hardware market.....I don't know just how much of this new tech is Sony/AMD patented, so it might not happen at all.

We will also find out about just how backward compatible the PS5 is with PS4 games already purchased, especially digital versions.

What I want to know is if I have a large external USB HD full of PS4 games, will I be able to just plug it into a PS5 and register it's use on both the PS4 and PS5 ? [I've got a over half full 8TB HD ]

Or at least unregister it's use on the PS4, and then register it's use on the PS5,

I'm betting not.

I looked at the PStore today, and started to see Preorder games at the PStore now say if buying the PS4 version, you get a free PS5 version as well, although I suspect you'll only be able to have that game active on either one or the other console.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

According to Kotaku the PS5 preorder debacle wasn't just isolated to Australia.

It all happened because retailers weren't given a definite time to put up preorder availability, so some jumped the gun, and it had a knock-on effect.

Sony just posted on Twitter that more consoles will be made available, just how many and when one could expect to get one isn't clear.

Put it does mean you might have a hope of getting one prior to Xmas if you missed out on the Nov 12 release.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tweaky said:

According to Kotaku the PS5 preorder debacle wasn't just isolated to Australia.

It all happened because retailers weren't given a definite time to put up preorder availability, so some jumped the gun, and it had a knock-on effect.

Sony just posted on Twitter that more consoles will be made available, just how many and when one could expect to get one isn't clear.

Put it does mean you might have a hope of getting one prior to Xmas if you missed out on the Nov 12 release.

That's good to know but not in a way, because I might actually buy one at launch pricing now ?

They're acting like the pre-order debacle was an accident, but it's hard to believe it's not part of the supply and demand strategy.

36 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

That's good to know but not in a way, because I might actually buy one at launch pricing now ?

They're acting like the pre-order debacle was an accident, but it's hard to believe it's not part of the supply and demand strategy.

I think it's more a manufacturing/ distribution problem.

When a new Playstation was released it used to be that the first Playstations that arrived were made in Japan, and subsequent ones were made a various other factories.

I think the ones Australia gets are made in Malaysia, and Brazil.

Sony has just announced it is completely closing it's Camera manufacturing in Brazil, with huge job losses.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9870971899/sony-announces-plans-to-end-camera-sales-and-manufacturing-in-brazil-next-year

Apparently it's part of a general ratification of it's factories worldwide, where if that division isn't in profit it's probably going to be closed.

If this has effected Playstation manufacturing I don't know.

There are so many possible reasons why there could be less PS5's than there is, lack of vital parts due to Covid, general manufacturing slowdown due to Covid, unknown state of possible distribution to certain areas [both to a country and then within it]

Although unlikely, as Sony likes to keep certain territories supplied by the same factories, mainly because of regional requirements differing with things like power supplies and safety regulations, they might have asked some factories that were on track to make batches of PS5's for other regions where there have been shortfalls, which might of meant a slight retooling at the factory to do it.

Don't know, just a general speculation based on what has been happening with Covid worldwide.

Sony did say many months ago that they didn't intend to make a huge production run of the first PS5's.

Initially it was numbered at 6 million units, but I think they upped that up to 10 or 11.

Why that is I suppose is the high price point, plus it didn't want to risk being exposed with warehouse full of stock if Covid had a big effect on sales.

Doesn't really matter, we'll all get one eventually.

I'm in no hurry.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wait for a model with a bigger HD.

That's the Achilles heel of the PS5, the small capacity HD fitted, the need for it to be internal, and the cost to upgrade it to something worthwhile.[plus any HD fitted would have needed to be tested by Sony to make sure it's compatible]

Sony says it will bring out HD's for it, but I can imagine Sony being Sony they will have a huge premium attached to them.