Speaker connections

Hi all-

Probably a really stupid question but is there a "right" (or rather-a non damaging) way to release these connections? Or am i missing something?

I just don't want to force it unless it's necessary. 

20200916_205114.jpg

Never push nor pull this connector at an angle.  Same for many other connector types but this type more susceptible/bendy. Other than that, just simple push in and out?

I once broke that wavy (zic zac) silver bit, stuck inside my speaker connector, and had to go to length to dig it out. Luckily only slight marks after I used tools on my old spare speaker.  After multiple use, you will not have realised it is slightly bent, perhaps due to stiffness or weight of connector or cable.  

I have since avoided this type of banana connectors. YMMV though. 

edit:  In hindsight, it’s clear that an open C-channel is never stiff compared to a closed cross section. 

Edited by att23

The sawtooth banana connector does give a great connection IMHO.  But the cheap ones can be quite fragile, made from thin metal. Those ones your showing don't look too bad though.   I use a lot of them with my basic range of cables.  There is no right or wrong way to release.  I find just a gentle wiggle to and fro with usually do the trick.  

Edited by Bill125812

I can't say I'm a great fan of the sawtooth style connectors. I bought a bunch of these some time back, sort of by mistake (hit the send button before I was ready). Have used a few of them, but don't really like them much.

I have a preference for banana connectors that you can lock in place, usually by rotating a ring which pushes against a couple of pins. Forms a secure connection, and can be easily released by loosening the ring and pulling.

Similar to these (I think these are the ones I bought).

https://www.selby.com.au/cables/connectors/banana-plugs/24k-gold-plated-heavy-duty-locking-banana-plugs-black-9-awg-bp0575b.html

31 minutes ago, emesbee said:

I can't say I'm a great fan of the sawtooth style connectors. I bought a bunch of these some time back, sort of by mistake (hit the send button before I was ready). Have used a few of them, but don't really like them much.

I have a preference for banana connectors that you can lock in place, usually by rotating a ring which pushes against a couple of pins. Forms a secure connection, and can be easily released by loosening the ring and pulling.

Similar to these (I think these are the ones I bought).

https://www.selby.com.au/cables/connectors/banana-plugs/24k-gold-plated-heavy-duty-locking-banana-plugs-black-9-awg-bp0575b.html

I certainly use that style on my Boutique cables.  Really good indeed 

It may be just me and some bad experiences, but I dislike locking banana plugs.

I really don't see the benefit or necessity in using them but obviously, everybody will have their preferences. What I look for is quality and durability, be it saw tooth or "regular" bananas.

I just found that the saw tooth ones I bought were rather difficult to fit, and a bit of a pain to get out afterwards. Most of my plugs are just regular non-locking non-saw tooth type, which are ok. I bought the locking ones for some thicker gauge cable I wanted to use, and they do the job very well, so I'm happy.

But yeah, I probably haven't bought the highest quality I could find.