Finally it begins!

4 years ago my wife and I bought this house with the intention of turning it into our forever home. For 4 years we have saved, planned, procrastinated, changed plans, had plans drawn, changed them again until it eventually dawned on us- why bother trying to turn a very ordinary 60s fibro home into anything else? So a full demo/rebuild instead, to try and make the most of our highly prized, very nearly flat Adelaide Hills block.

To keep it simple we began with an existing layout from a reputable builder which we flipped, changed, stretched, shrunk, deleted, added, changed again til what we wanted was right there on paper, including her walk in wardrobe/stadium and my very modest room for the finer things in life, ready to be…..gulp….costed. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a metric tonne of Krugerand…..

Though almost everyone who has see the plans points immediately and cries “WHAT is THAT?!”, it’s not excessive at only 6.9 x 4.5m surely? And I’m not going berserk with mad ideas, just a few sensible concessions to the nature of the pursuits observed within. Things like solid doors, 20 amp power spur, staggered studs and noggins and whatnot. Perfectly normal stuff.

So, after all this we approach our beloved financial institution and you know, the whole process only took 19 weeks. Quite remarkable really.

It’s going to take a while, and we’re ok with that, but this week the smashers moved in. Huzzah!!

Step 1, remove all of James Hardies finest building materials.

IMG_20200914_165712.jpg

Edited by thebigsteamythin
  • Like 38

Great read Grizzly. I hope your new room is everything you've patiently been waiting for!

I'm in a similar position to you with constantly changing design etc and it's finally taking off now (albeit in an existing house rather than demolition scenario). :D 

• Like 1

Ripper Ant!

If wasn't for the covid I'd come down and do your earthworks/drainage/landscaping/stoneworks for a good wine and some tucker(and a bed of coz, we'd just hire a machine from Kenards).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luc said:

Ripper Ant!

If wasn't for the covid I'd come down and do your earthworks/drainage/landscaping/stoneworks for a good wine and some tucker(and a bed of coz, we'd just hire a machine from Kenards).

Dang, I'd love to save a little on that side of it too!

I could, I've got rellys in Radelaide. and could grab a bed in Glenelg or another place below the hills. Never remember the name but you drive down a straight road from the centre of Adelaide and when the hills show as grass your there.?

Nothing much happening up here but fishing and gardening.

Hourly rate for bobcat/mini excavator with XP operator is about $100+gst and travel to the site.

Daily rate for 1.8t excavator is about $280 or so from hire service. You supply the toasted sangas at smoko and the IPA's at knock off...done deal?

Edited by Luc
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Darryl said:

I'm no accountant, but I'm assuming you can claim some of the room cost if it is going to be a showroom.

I think the Govt is giving 25k bribes at the moment too.

Nah, doesn't qualify sadly

22 hours ago, Satanica said:

I never thought I would thumbs up the destruction of ones house but here you go mate. ?

I've shed zero tears thus far and it looks set to stay that way

22 hours ago, McCvinyl said:

Thats awesome Anthony! 

Exciting times ahead. No doubt there will be a "Grizzly room" penciled in there somewhere.

Hmmmm possibly!

22 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Great read Grizzly. I hope your new room is everything you've patiently been waiting for!

I'm in a similar position to you with constantly changing design etc and it's finally taking off now (albeit in an existing house rather than demolition scenario). :D 

So exciting when it starts to become less abstract and more real!

21 hours ago, Antipodean Brad said:

This is gonna be one interesting thread!  Congratulations.

"it’s not excessive at only 6.9 x 4.5m surely"   Too big for a dunny.  Good for a bedroom or bathroom, or kitchen.  Workshop?  Mmmm, maybe.  Nope, still don't know what it will be.

It'll be a very slow reveal. House burlesque

19 hours ago, Luc said:

I could, I've got rellys in Radelaide. and could grab a bed in Glenelg or another place below the hills. Never remember the name but you drive down a straight road from the centre of Adelaide and when the hills show as grass your there.?

Nothing much happening up here but fishing and gardening.

Hourly rate for bobcat/mini excavator with XP operator is about $100+gst and travel to the site.

Daily rate for 1.8t excavator is about $280 or so from hire service. You supply the toasted sangas at smoko and the IPA's at knock off...done deal?

Reckon I could achieve that mate, see you soon!

18 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Why not?

The criteria count us out Mark, sadly.

Edited by Grizzly
  • Like 2

Even better when it is all finished the Hills Gentlemen’s Society get to visit and enjoy the new audio room.  Personally if I was building a dedicated audio room those would be pretty much just the dimensions I would go for.

All the best Anthony, I have watched Grand Designs, it always seems to take longer and cost more than originally planned!

15 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

reminds me of this:

image.png.6fa98454f7cc6d72fe3a6c2fb6231dfc.png

Actually Trevor it seems that nobody here has discussed petunias for a far longer time than I feel comfortable with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1