Finally it begins!

We have dirt!! That trampoline is staying on site for the tradies to blow off some steam, because jumping makes you happy?

Now waiting for SA water to figure out exactly how they plan to connect us to the sewer, life without a septic tank is going to be so luxurious. 

Next, trenches and concrete!!

FB_IMG_1601544271084.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Grizzly said:

You rang?

Of course after last night it's going to resemble France circa 1917

IMG_20201029_170739.jpg

Old style slap prep that and also the eventual slab. WTG.

Here it's all waffle slabs these days none of those beams and trenches..

I'd like a dollar for each one of these I've done.

Actually I did get a dollar...more than one! Lol.

12 hours ago, Grizzly said:

You rang?

Of course after last night it's going to resemble France circa 1917

IMG_20201029_170739.jpg

Wow, interesting - when I had the slab built for my last house, in the late 80s ... the trenches went down at least a metre, to get to some solid foundation!  :ohmy:

Andy

• 5 weeks later...
On 30/10/2020 at 9:35 PM, andyr said:

Wow, interesting - when I had the slab built for my last house, in the late 80s ... the trenches went down at least a metre, to get to some solid foundation!  :ohmy:

Andy

I imagine that's all based on soil types and their propensity to movement. Here seems pretty benign I think. Anyway after a couple of rain delays (what an an odd spring!) and subsequent tradie re arranging we finally had the ethnic lawn poured a few weeks back. That made the overall scale of the place a little frightening but hopefully just an optical illusion. Little Grizzly for reference. She was calibrated in October, for any pedants out there.

Fast forward to the week just gone and, like mushrooms (but thankfully not just a hallucination) we now have a house shaped structure!! Second photo taken yesterday after I swung past to net the cherry tree, keep those pesky builders out of my precious fruit!

IMG_20201117_164948.jpg

IMG_20201128_093456.jpg

• Like 16

Wow, that's amazing progress, Ant.  When's the ETA?

I think Adelaide Hills soil tends to be fairly stable, unlike the reactive clays in much of the Eastern suburbs.  We've had 40 + years of living in houses we've built in Crafers and Hahndorf without seeing a hint of structural movement.  It also saves a lot of $ on footings.

I know you're going with the Hampton's style cladding rather than brick veneer.  Does that get attached to the walls that have been built or do they build a seperate wall so you end up with a cavity between the outside walls?  I'm thinking here of the need to make all wiring provisions you might need in the future if the exterior walls don't have a cavity?  Lots of conduits down through the walls on a "just in case we need them sometime" basis can be a good idea.

And, of course, take heaps of construction photos for future reference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

cant wait to see the listening room........

Me too!! 6.9 x 4.5 with a separate 20 amp power spur that runs to power outlets (not the lights) in this room only.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A little update, electrical, AC and ceilings are in, with wall insulation and half of the interior cladding done! Our site manager suggesting practical completion sometime in March (ahead of schedule, can that be real??) and having all the external and internal cladding done before end of year break up!

We are meeting an old school mate on Monday to discuss retaining, landscaping and planting too. The excitement builds?

IMG_20201219_114739.jpg

IMG_20201219_114431.jpg

IMG_20201219_114455.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A long wait between updates- after lockup everything seems slower, especially when you can't just let yourself in for a gander after hours!

We now have cabinetry, cornicing, interior doors and waterproofing done, ready for tiles then paint and flooring. Looking now like a handover April 23rd.

House.jpg

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

A long wait between updates- after lockup everything seems slower, especially when you can't just let yourself in for a gander after hours!

We now have cabinetry, cornicing, interior doors and waterproofing done, ready for tiles then paint and flooring. Looking now like a handover April 23rd.

House.jpg

Wow, The new house is looking great! Congratulations! I can't believe I missed all of this... I need to play catch up ?

• Like 2

I like the look of the siding (I think it's called).

As 99% of houses are brick I'm interested in why you decided to go this way Grizzly. Is it a cost and/or a look thing?

One of the reasons I like it is that it's different. Too many cookie cutter houses around in my opinion.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Darryl said:

I like the look of the siding (I think it's called).

As 99% of houses are brick I'm interested in why you decided to go this way Grizzly. Is it a cost and/or a look thing?

One of the reasons I like it is that it's different. Too many cookie cutter houses around in my opinion.

We've seen a few weatherboard places go up nearby and just really like the look. Overall the cost is slightly higher than brick (which I still can't figure out, but try to argue cost with a builder...?).

It took less than 2 days to completely clad the entire house, so I'm sure they're having a laugh.

• Like 4