I mean, it is just a yaris after all.

• Like 1
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I need to vent - just a little.  To all those people saying it's a $40k Yaris.......   You mean like how an $80k HSV was a Commodore? Or how a Monaro was a 2 door Kingswood? Or how an Evo is

"This is Toyota’s riposte. And it’s superb. It proves what we’ve long suspected – that a pukka road-going rally car is the best thing for tackling a modern B-road: small and light, with punchy dynamic

Not my style at all, much too "anime" for me. I prefer smoother, more classical lines, say this:

"We deliberately set out to make GR Yaris attainable for sports-car fans - and I'd have to say that even we were a little surprised at how quickly the first Toyota sports car in more than 20 years ignited the market," Toyota Australia Vice President Sales and Marketing Sean Hanley said."

I don't think he got the marketing memo it's a rally car.. there's already Toyota sports cars for people who want a sports car... a smaller Subaru WRX for around the same price, very good marketing Toyota..well done  

On 29/09/2020 at 2:56 PM, JB82 said:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/888057/2021-toyota-gr-yaris-sold-out/

Gone!

But I bet a few of those place holders will cancel their orders, which would give some others a second chance.

Yep - I cancelled mine - @TDK convince me with his arguments and I couldn't justify spending $40k on a Yaris.......

Edited by niterida
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, something odd about the marketing - are they saying the Supra is not a "sports car".

Toyota are also doing weird things with pricing. Next 100 for 45k? Are they testing the market to see what they can get away with?

Still, the first 1000 buyers got the bargain of the year!

12 hours ago, niterida said:

Yep - I cancelled mine - @TDK convince me with his arguments and I couldn't justify spending $40k on a Yaris....

I would accept your decision easier if you came to your own conclusion baed on evidence from fist hand experience. It’s just a Yaris, this isn’t an argument. It’s a car I drove I didn’t particularly like, is. 

On 03/10/2020 at 8:37 AM, Sime said:

I would accept your decision easier if you came to your own conclusion baed on evidence from fist hand experience. It’s just a Yaris, this isn’t an argument. It’s a car I drove I didn’t particularly like, is. 

You are right but I thought you ( and @vinilink@metal beat among others ) would have realised I was joking. How can one persons (very flawed) arguments about a car they have never driven convince someone not to buy a car.

Unfortunately I was not joking about cancelling my order :( but that was purely a financial decision. I think I am going to regret it as it seems to be a future classic already IMO - a small light(ish) AWD Rally rocket with aluminium and carbon fibre body panels - whats not to love about it - especially at $40k.

As for the "Its a Yaris" name-calling - it is a Yaris in name only. It hardly shares a single thing with the standard Yaris - dash board is about the only recognisable part I think. Its a pity Toyota decided to stick with the Yaris tag - GR Rallye or GR PR (Pocket Rocket) are 2 that spring to mind.

Edited by niterida
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

you had me fooled as well lol. with some real left field train of thoughts in this forum, a decision based on such reasoning wouldnt have been surprising at all.

i actually like that its part of the yaris family. i feel this a true successor to the ae86, so it makes sense that it should be a suped up version of a regular small segment model line.

Edited by pezzy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, niterida said:

You are right but I thought you ( and @vinilink@metal beat among others ) would have realised I was joking. How can one persons (very flawed) arguments about a car they have never driven convince someone not to buy a car.

Unfortunately I was not joking about cancelling my order :( but that was purely a financial decision. I think I am going to regret it as it seems to be a future classic already IMO - a small light(ish) AWD Rally rocket with aluminium and carbon fibre body panels - whats not to love about it - especially at $40k.

As for the "Its a Yaris" name-calling - it is a Yaris in name only. It hardly shares a single thing with the standard Yaris - dash board is about the only recognisable part I think. Its a pity Toyota decided to stick with the Yaris tag - GR Rallye or GR PR (Pocket Rocket) are 2 that spring to mind.

You had me fooled as well, considering I have not commented on this thread until being mentioned now 🤔

• Haha 1

I need to vent - just a little.  To all those people saying it's a $40k Yaris.......

You mean like how an $80k HSV was a Commodore? Or how a Monaro was a 2 door Kingswood? Or how an Evo is a Lancer?

Value is in the eye of the beholder and something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

(exhales)

I for one will be giving a thumbs up to the first GR Yaris I spot on the road - can't wait to see one in the flesh.

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On 16/09/2020 at 4:24 PM, Batty said:

Still a Yaris 🤢

*ouch*

Nothing wrong with a Yaris !!

I brought the basic model in 2013  ..............I drive her every day to work (25kms each way) and on weekends and she costs me $25 a week for Unleaded Fuel ........................ (cheap as chips)

I live on the Gold Coast so guess that is mostly city style driving - but I do travel on the M1 Highway to work every day.........

thing is no matter what car you drive - you can still only do the speed limit regardless.

See all the flash cars on the Goldie - all can still only do 110k on the M1 Highway...............

I call her my "shopping trolley on wheels" as  a joke - but thing is she has been the best car I have ever owned. 

Edited by April Snow
  • Love 1

some of the feedback from the land of the rising sun has been good as well albeit more of a warm hatch. it needs some aftermarket tinkering to make it a hot hatch. nob was able to shave 3 seconds off in tsukuba from just tyres and suspension mods. did a 1:03 which is respectable. highly modified cars usually hit the 1-1:01 mark.

54 minutes ago, April Snow said:

*ouch*

Nothing wrong with a Yaris !!

I brought the basic model in 2013  ..............I drive her every day to work (25kms each way) and on weekends and she costs me $25 a week for Unleaded Fuel ........................ (cheap as chips)

I live on the Gold Coast so guess that is mostly city style driving - but I do travel on the M1 Highway to work every day.........

thing is no matter what car you drive - you can still only do the speed limit regardless.

See all the flash cars on the Goldie - all can still only do 110k on the M1 Highway...............

I call her my "shopping trolley on wheels" as  a joke - but thing is she has been the best car I have ever owned. 

I'm not a car freak in any way, I prefer 2 wheels, but I drive a 14 year old Mazda, costs me under $100 per month in fuel and has never let me down, yeah, I like reliable, but I don't like Toyotas for some reason.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Batty said:

I'm not a car freak in any way, I prefer 2 wheels, but I drive a 14 year old Mazda, costs me under $100 per month in fuel and has never let me down, yeah, I like reliable, but I don't like Toyotas for some reason.

It all comes down to personal choice. I had Honda before my Yaris, but at my work all our work fleet are Toyotas and even all the workers cars are Toyotas and the bosses as well funnily enough. Toyota have always looked after us. 

but at the end of the day I rather invest my money in my Music ................a car just gets me to work and to the music stores 👍😄

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

No one sensible ever said the Yaris GR was an investment.  Cadogen shows here that he isn’t the twit he normally likes to make out. My theoretical favourite petrol car is the Alpine from Renault,  which is twice the price of a GR. On that basis alone the Yaris has to be a little beauty if you just want a pure drivers car for two.

I agree about the power thing. I find myself with 640nm of silent but effortlessly brutal grunt that even granny could utilise in stealth model, but you rapidly realise that it’s overkill.  You have to constantly tell yourself that 1. If you use it on a public road people will think ( ok...know) you are a loser. 2. They catch you at the next lights anyway.  3. Applying restraint all the time raises the question why did you buy it.  In my case I got a big range and the power was a no cost option.  What I didn’t get this Yaris should have in spades, and that is a fun factor in corners and a manual gearbox to play with.

Thats why you buy a Yaris GR.

12 hours ago, Briz Vegas said:

Cadogen shows here that he isn’t the twit he normally likes to make out

anyone who watches Cadogen regularly would not think he’s a twit nor does he think that himself. 

• 4 weeks later...

"This is Toyota’s riposte. And it’s superb. It proves what we’ve long suspected – that a pukka road-going rally car is the best thing for tackling a modern B-road: small and light, with punchy dynamics and a gutsy motor, it’s a deeply compelling machine. And if the WRC version of this is as well engineered and executed, Toyota’s rivals should be downright terrified.

It hasn’t got the Civic Type R’s pedigree, but its more rugged approach is arguably better at delivering driver entertainment on any road, in any weather. It’s a hoot to drive from start to finish, the playfulness of the Ford Fiesta ST combined with the sort of composure and eagerness that Subaru Imprezas used to do so well. And for the performance and experience, it’s not over-priced at all. The best Toyota we’ve ever driven."

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/toyota/gr-yaris

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

They said it wouldn't be available until March but Toyota are already running ads on the telly.

The GR Yaris you really want to buy, the GR Yaris Rallye.

The twin LSD, stiffer suspension, lighter wheels, etc. version.

Price is a bit steep though.

$56,200 drive away for the first 200 buyers and then it's $54,500 plus on roads.

This Yaris is terriffic, they should've called it a Toyota GT 1000 making it sound a little esoteric. I own a Renault Megane RS Cup and I love it, I've left many a 'so called' German and Italian sports car in my wake especially around the back roads of Wonga Park and Warrandyte, in saying that, my favorite is still a Porsche RS GT3. 

Why all the negativity about the Yaris, some people should get on Youtube and check out all the videos. I don't  think it looks as polished 

as a Golf or Megane but it's strength lies elsewhere as has been discussed.

People get more conservative and set in their ways with age, forget what sort of cars  might've inspired them in the 70's and 80's,  who cares if it is or isn't a sports car, all I know it goes like **** off a shovel

and handles like it's  on rails. I say get a life...

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Posted today on a FB group and FWIW a Stage 1 Mk7 R puts out around 260kw and 450nm and should do 0-100km in the mid 4's 😉

yaris.jpg

supposedly they are capable of high 4s/low 5s if you launch them hard. probably not a good idea to buy them second hand lol.

15 minutes ago, pezzy said:

supposedly they are capable of high 4s/low 5s if you launch them hard. probably not a good idea to buy them second hand lol.

The twin LSD versions should be quicker off the mark.

I suspect the "drag" was a rolling one in which case the R would be at a disadvantage due to it's weight.

Even a standard GTI will give an R a scare once on the move.

21 hours ago, ArthurDent said:

The twin LSD versions should be quicker off the mark.

I suspect the "drag" was a rolling one in which case the R would be at a disadvantage due to it's weight.

Even a standard GTI will give an R a scare once on the move.

Yes, take Launch Control away from an R and its a near 6s car like most things with that power and weight.

Banned for depicting unsafe driving 😉

Despite these precautions, the Australian Advertising Standards Board noted a scene in the advertisement "showing a white vehicle leaving a shed and appearing to lose traction in the back tyres".

The Australian Advertising Standards Board "considered that the action of losing traction in the rear of the vehicle would be considered to be a loss of control of the vehicle" and "considered that the advertisement did depict the vehicle engaging in unsafe (driving) which would be likely to breach relevant law were it to occur on a road or road-related area."

https://www.slashgear.com/2021-toyota-gr-yaris-tv-commercial-banned-in-australia-11654380/

Edited by ArthurDent
17 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

Banned for depicting unsafe driving 😉

Despite these precautions, the Australian Advertising Standards Board noted a scene in the advertisement "showing a white vehicle leaving a shed and appearing to lose traction in the back tyres".

The Australian Advertising Standards Board "considered that the action of losing traction in the rear of the vehicle would be considered to be a loss of control of the vehicle" and "considered that the advertisement did depict the vehicle engaging in unsafe (driving) which would be likely to breach relevant law were it to occur on a road or road-related area."

https://www.slashgear.com/2021-toyota-gr-yaris-tv-commercial-banned-in-australia-11654380/

Blatantly the car is completely under control because it's doing exactly what it's supposed to.

When seeing the ad I never once thought anything of it. A bit of dust in the field ! So what?

do car ads even work anymore? the last memorable car ad for me was the golf one where a kid is dressed in a transformer suit and the dad is showing off the auto parallel parking mode. im not a fan of golfs but that ad has forever cemented my hate for them lol.

the only car ad that has ever gotten me interested in a car was the accord euro ad where they did the dominoes with the car parts. that ad didnt even have any driving in it.

2 hours ago, ArthurDent said:

Looks real good with the wide body kit fitted. Not so keen on the $12,900 price tag though.

https://www.garage88.com.au/product/pandem-rocket-bunny-wide-body-kit-package-for-toyota-yaris-gr/

Are u serious 🤣

Are you a 22 year old Asian who is sick of his pugly Honda Civic Type R and wanted something even uglier?

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Are u serious 🤣

Are you a 22 year old Asian who is sick of his pugly Honda Civic Type R and wanted something even uglier?

I am serious, I like it, it looks way better than stock, not to mention some serious aero for the track, but I'm not a 22 year old Asian.

They also make a Mk7 Golf kit, only $8,500 😉

• Haha 1