ArthurDent

Toyota GR Yaris

Pricing is announced, $10k discount for first 1000 buyers, delivery starting in November and we're going to get the GR Yaris Rallye version in 2021 with limited-slip differentials, stickier Michelin tyres, and lightweight BBS alloy wheels.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/883804/2021-toyota-gr-yaris-from-39990-drive-away-in-november-track-version-due-early-next-year

damn. that is aggressive pricing. i honestly was expecting at least 50k on the generous side.

edit: ah wait. it is 50k. fell for that 49500 trap. oops lol.

Edited by pezzy

9 minutes ago, pezzy said:

damn. that is aggressive pricing. i honestly was expecting at least 50k on the generous side.

edit: ah wait. it is 50k. fell for that 49500 trap. oops lol.

$39,950 drive-away for the first 1000 buyers.

Still a Yaris 🤢

1 hour ago, Batty said:

Still a Yaris 🤢

Compared with the regular Yaris, the new machine has an entirely different body, with a lower roof, three doors instead of five and significantly reworked bodywork to aid aerodynamics.  The bodywork makes extensive use of carbonfibre polymer and aluminium to reduce weight. It also includes a substantially wider rear track than the regular Yaris, along with new double-wishbone rear suspension. Kerb weight is 1280kg.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-gr-yaris-hot-hatch-2020

Still a Yaris.

If it is not a Yaris, then change the name. Simple.

Edited by Batty

15 minutes ago, Batty said:

Still a Yaris.

If it is not a Yaris, then change the name. Simple.

They did.

GR Yaris 🙂

strange logic lol. so *insert any sports model of a model line up* its still the base model?

40k is mighty tempting even without lsd. surely it would cost a fraction of 10k plus for an aftermarket one if they do become available.

Edited by pezzy

51 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

They did.

GR Yaris 🙂

A bit like a YR Yaris 😇

13 minutes ago, Batty said:

A bit like a YR Yaris 😇

Nah, that was a Yaris YR.

Completely different 😉

Edited by ArthurDent

2 hours ago, ArthurDent said:

Nah, that was a Yaris YR.

Completely different 😉

It goes faster in reverse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I was seriously considering one until I realised they are manual only 😢

Edited by niterida

8 hours ago, niterida said:

I was seriously considering one until I realised they are manual only 😢

That may limit sales but some will no doubt think manual only is a good thing considering the rest of the specs for the car.

And then there's the real men drive manuals and all that nonsense.

Manual only didn't appear to hurt Hyundai i30 N sales although they've now introduced an 8 speed DCT as an option for the new model.

im in the camp that its a good thing even if its slowly dying out. people who prefer auto clutches have too many options :P.

Odd choice of name for a tuning outfit

gazoo.jpg

Love it, bet it will be super fun to drive.

Have too many cars at the moment, otherwise...

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Odd choice of name for a tuning outfit

gazoo.jpg

Yeah, it's an interesting one!

The background to it is:

The meaning of GAZOO

Today, “GAZOO” refers to the word “Garage”, a very intimate place where people work together to improve the smallest details, with the aim of delivering ever-better cars and services for each customer, in each garage. As such, the name embodies the spirit that drives TOYOTA GAZOO Racing.

But the origin of the name goes back nearly twenty years to the creation of GAZOO.com, a website gathering images of the vehicles on stock at each of the dealerships. Its name, “GAZOO”, was derived from the Japanese word “gazo” which means image or photo. Although the use of imagery on website is commonplace today, it was revolutionary for the automotive industry in Japan in the mid-1990s when internet technology was at its infancy. GAZOO.com offered consumers a wide choice of products, allowing them to find the best deal available, and this is where the philosophy of providing ever-better cars to the Toyota customer originates.

The bodywork makes extensive use of carbonfibre polymer and aluminium to reduce weight. It also includes a substantially wider rear track than the regular Yaris, along with new double-wishbone rear suspension. Kerb weight is 1280kg.

Should be more like 1000kg given the size and a 1.6 3 cylinder... I'd want to know where those 'extensive' carbon and alu bits are, or where the lead is:) 

38 minutes ago, murrmax said:

Should be more like 1000kg given the size and a 1.6 3 cylinder... I'd want to know where those 'extensive' carbon and alu bits are, or where the lead is:) 

Ally for the doors, bonnet and hatch, CF for the roof. Lead in the floorpan for lower C of G and better handling 😉

10 hours ago, ArthurDent said:

That may limit sales but some will no doubt think manual only is a good thing considering the rest of the specs for the car.

And then there's the real men drive manuals and all that nonsense.

Manual only didn't appear to hurt Hyundai i30 N sales although they've now introduced an 8 speed DCT as an option for the new model.

I would personally prefer a manual but the missus only has an auto licence 😢

I'll stick with my granddad car and keep my licence.

theres also the drivetrain for that added weight. i think they did pretty good weight wise. the fwd version is around 1100kg iirc. but that comes with a na 1.5 3 banger and cvt.

On 17/09/2020 at 10:11 AM, ArthurDent said:

I think it hurt the I30N in a big way. They wanted to take on the GTI, they got no where near it.

15 minutes ago, RockandorRoll said:

I think it hurt the I30N in a big way. They wanted to take on the GTI, they got no where near it.

Speed wise they got near it, some would say past as the i30N sure is quick and a fun car to drive.  Will a  8 speed DCT broaden it's appeal, time will tell.