I need a DAC to connect iphone and ipad to my old school amplifiers, they only have AUX in.

Price point maximum $500

The research is just too complicated, there are so many manufacturers, and so many limitations.

From what I understand, a DAC with a bluetooth receiver is what I am after.

All suggestions and help appreciated.

Paul

Instead of looking at a myriad of options, keep it simple and focus on 1 or 2 devices or brands. As you build up your knowledge of digital, you can then expand further.

Rather than a DAC, suggest getting an all in one streamer/DAC like a Bluesound Node 2. A second hand one will be within budget and you can use Bluetooth. 

It will make for a simpler system and is easy to set up and use.

You may not need the bluetooth receiver unless you want to stream from the device to the DAC?

There are a heap of options upto that price point from all the major players..... CA, ProJect, Dragonfly but unsure on the BT functionality

but if you wanted to, you could go really simple and not spend much at all and just use a 3.5mm single jack to L/R RCA cable.  You will in that situation use the phone entirely and its DAC but its a very simple way of doing things..

https://www.amazon.com.au/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8JW0

Failing that you could try find a Bluesound Node which pop up here. Depending what you want to do, but if you are streaming music from Spotify/Tidal etc then the Bluesound would mean you simply use your iPad/Phone as a remote and connect the Bluesound RCAs to your amp.  It has a built in DAC and will act as a streamer, as well as a network share if you want.  Works on WiFi or Ethernet....

2 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Instead of looking at a myriad of options, keep it simple and focus on 1 or 2 devices or brands. As you build up your knowledge of digital, you can then expand further.

Rather than a DAC, suggest getting an all in one streamer/DAC like a Bluesound Node 2. A second hand one will be within budget and you can use Bluetooth. 

It will make for a simpler system and is easy to set up and use.

spot on, i was a few seconds to slow LOL

Not sure if they are still readily available but I used to use a QED uPlay Plus for this purpose and it served me admirably, I eventually replaced it with a Chromecast Audio that I still use today.  If you can track down a Chromecast Audio that could also work in  your scenario if you have a decent WiFi signal near the HiFi.

Alternatives that I know are still readily available though but have no direct experience of...

I have a few of the "palm sized" bits and bobs from Pro-Ject and have been very happy with those.  They make the "Bluetooth Box E" which is around the $150 price point.  The Pro-Ject offers optical digital output as well as analog so there's a bit of an upgrade path there if you later move to an Amp with integrated DAC or obtain a standalone DAC down the track.

Logitech also offer a small Bluetooth adaptor that only offers analogue output for about half the price of the Pro-Ject if you are looking for something super simple.

Thanks so far everyone.

I will see whether the household uses music from their own library, or use streaming services.

I will check out the Bluesound Node.

Lots to learn.....

Still working on it.

Would it be easier to upgrade the amp to one with built in Bluetooth?

Like the Cambridge Audio AXR85?

30 minutes ago, wartman said:

Still working on it.

Would it be easier to upgrade the amp to one with built in Bluetooth?

Like the Cambridge Audio AXR85?

Has your budget gone up? And are you also considering upgrading the amp?

If so, this refurbished Bluesound Power mode 2 could be the go

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/bluesound-powernode-amplifier-wireless-multi-room-hi-res-music-streaming-gloss-black-refurbished.html

You will still need a DAC with the AXR85

20 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

You will still need a DAC with the AXR85

As I mentioned, this is new to me.

Forgive my ignorance.

The AXR85 has built in Bluetooth, can't I connect the iphone via Bluetooth?

1 minute ago, wartman said:

Forgive my ignorance.

The iPhone would then act as the DAC.  Is that what you want to do?

29 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Thanks for the education.

Now I understand.

I was not aware that  bluetooth  sent the analogue signal via UHF

There you go.

Appreciate the help.

Bluesound wins

The Cambridge Audio AXR85 has Bluetooth but no DAC.

To my thinking, that means that Bluetooth sends an analogue signal from the source like a radio station.

Forgive my ignorance on this subject

31 minutes ago, wartman said:

The Cambridge Audio AXR85 has Bluetooth but no DAC.

To my thinking, that means that Bluetooth sends an analogue signal from the source like a radio station.

From: https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/row/en/products/ax/axr85

BLUETOOTH

5.0 A2DP/AVRCP supporting SBC

SBC stands for Sub Band Codec so I can't see how the Cambridge Audio AXR85 doesn't have a DAC albeit one that you can't tap into via a wired digital input like coaxial or optical.

Bluetooth analog or digital is just radio waves but it comes down to how they're interpreted.

Perhaps bluetooth can send analog but I presume the (vast) majority is done digitally.

Edited by Satanica

From: https://news.northeastern.edu/2016/10/17/3qs-why-bluetooth-headphones-are-better-than-you-might-think/

Audio signals are stored digitally in our phones (as sequences of 0s and 1s). With wired headphones, the digital signals are first fed into a DAC (digital-to-analog converter) built inside the phone to convert the digital signals into analog signals, which are further transmitted (in an analog fashion) into the headphone for playout via a standard 3.5-millimeter headphone jack.

Bluetooth, instead, does not convert digital audio to the analog domain before sending it to the earphone—audio signals are transmitted digitally over the wireless link. So when the digital audio is received at the earphone, it is basically identical to the digital audio stored in the phone. The Bluetooth earphone uses a DAC built inside the earphone itself to convert the received digital audio in the analog domain so that it can be played.

7 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:
7 hours ago, wartman said:

Forgive my ignorance.

Far out Satanica

I thought this might be simple (Wrong again).

Snoopy8 mentioned above that the phone would act as the DAC using bluetooth.

Thanks for all the links you have found.

So when people say bluetooth is no good for HI-Fi, it must mean that bluetooth modules are crap at converting signals?

I just like knowing how stuff works.

Lots more research for me to do.

Still confused.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions

Paul

43 minutes ago, wartman said:

Snoopy8 mentioned above that the phone would act as the DAC using bluetooth.

My apologies for this wrong sentence...

Logitech Bluetooth Adaptor mentioned once upthread will simply and cheaply receive signal from phone and output RCA plug in to amp for $50.

The ifi zen blue from addicted to audio 

Quicker delivery than the   Blume   

Upgrade the   power supply to a ifi low noise $80.00

Edited by david j